Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh man I feel bad

6K views 74 replies 45 participants last post by  Captain Crunch 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it finally happened. Had an ND this evening. Very stupid on my part. My cousin just returned from the sand box a few weeks ago and we where finally able to get together. Him and his sister and girl friend came over for the evening. After a wile the women where talking girl stuff so I invited my cousin down to the basement to show him my collection of fire arms. So adventualy the girls make there way down there, my wife is showing them around. I pull my 1911 from the safe. Well I am normally very safe and I practice and shoot allot, believe me I am not this careless. well I pull the slide back, look in the camber to make sure it is clear, let it go, and out of habit I dry fire it in a safe direction, BOOOM!!! well guess what? I didn't drop the mag first. this was right in front of every one and in a small area. Man do I feel like the fool. Luckily no one was hurt. I will tell you one thing for sure. That will never happen again.
Be careful guys and don't get complacent like I did this evening. A 45acp going off in close quarters in not fun. Anyways I just needed to get it off my chest. I think it will take a few days before I feel better.
Longbow

#2 ·
Just goes to show the rest of us, it could happen to anyone! (But that was a ND not an AD! :rofl:)

Thanks for sharing bro, it sure makes me think twice! :35:

#55 ·
Just goes to show the rest of us, it could happen to anyone! (But that was a ND not an AD! :rofl:)
Thanks for sharing bro, it sure makes me think twice! :35:
First, you need to understand the difference between an AD and a ND. Another poster already corrected you letting you know it was a Negligent Discharge and not an Accidental Discharge but didn't describe the difference.
Ti
I don't believe he called it an AD. I think he said ND from the get-go.:smile:

#7 ·
Don't fret, the ringing in your ears shouldn't be permanent.:wink:

Could have turned out a lot worse. Glad it didn't.

#10 ·
I'll bet that shook you up bit.

Well the most important thing is that you had that muzzle pointed in a known safe direction and that nobody was hurt.

Remember that exact instant when the firearm boomed unexpectedly?

I'm sure that you froze with a total startle response.

The reason I say "remember that" is because that is exactly what will happen to you if you are ever suddenly and unexpectedly jumped or attacked.

It's an interesting human reaction.

Concerning your Negligent Discharge. Be thankful that nobody was injured or worse...and then get over it and move onward & forward.

Bad Stuff Happens Sometimes...and then what we do as thinking and responsible human beings is to learn something valuable from it and then get on with life a little bit wiser.

#29 ·
Well the most important thing is that you had that muzzle pointed in a known safe direction and that nobody was hurt.
Most people here probably know that I am not the most ... compassionate ... guy when it comes to NDs.

I'll just say that I'm glad no one was injured by the bullet in this incident, but I dare say that people's hearing is part of their wellness, and I'm sure that was damaged to some degree. Let's not make out like NDs that hit floorboards only are not harmful beyond what they do to the floor.

I still don't understand why it keeps taking having an actual ND to make people say "I'll sure never do that again!" Isn't knowing what can happen enough to make people pay attention? Everyone acts as though firing the gun in negligence is a "final convincer". I just can't figure out why it takes that, when we go in knowing what guns can do...

In fact, anyone reading this, why not just pretend it happened to you; if having it happen is supposed to be the FINAL CURE for that complacency, just pretend this was YOUR ND and I guess we'll all just never have one again, right? Or maybe the claim that the ND that you had cured you forever might be as much wishful thinking as my having sworn I will never have one.

Just something to think about.

#11 ·
Glad everyone is OK,

#12 ·
This is the very reason why we train and practice the redundant rules. We are human, and will never be perfect, so when one rule is broken - hopefully our training and practice will still be there, and the other rules that you DID practice will keep everyone safe.

I am glad no one is hurt - I pray I don't experience a ND, because I have kids in the house that I love deeply. I couldn't live with myself if I let my stupidness hurt them.

#13 ·
Thanks guys for the comments and good advice, needless to say I didn't sleep very well last night. My quest were very cool about it and didn't freek out or anything. Man oh man did I feel bad, I just wanted to go in a separate room and stay there for a wile. But I maintained my cool and in the end we all kind of laughed it off. BUT I WILL NOT FORGET ABOUT IT. The wife and I had a good talk about it before we went to bed. To nite I am going to clean out and rearrange my safe so that my pistols are stored separately than the mags. and when I put guns away after a range trip they will be stored this way. But it will not replace checking and double checking them when I pull them out for inspection or to go shooting. Longbow

#20 ·
I WILL NOT FORGET ABOUT IT. The wife and I had a good talk about it before we went to bed. To nite I am going to clean out and rearrange my safe so that my pistols are stored separately then the mags. and when I put guns away after a range trip they will be stored this way. But it will not replace checking and double checking them when I pull them out for inspection or to go shooting. Longbow
Longbow,

I am also glad noone was hurt and I know you learned your lesson and it could happen to any of us.

BUT, I am not going to let you off that easy and nor should you if a ND was to happen to me or anyone else on here that would post it.

First, you need to understand the difference between an AD and a ND. Another poster already corrected you letting you know it was a Negligent Discharge and not an Accidental Discharge but didn't describe the difference. I am sure you know but others might not. An AD is beyond your control, a true malfunction of the weapon. The other (AD) which is by far the most common is user error, which is what you described or anything other than a true malfunction of the weapon.

Next, in your new "rules" you and your wife talked about no where do you head caution to the exact reason why you had the ND in the first place. Please add "NEVER EVER PULL THE TRIGGER" unless I am ready to fire. I don't care what anyone say's, dry firing a weapon out of habit can and will cause a ND sooner or later. If you feel you need to do the rest that is fine but your new rules should have started of with never touch the trigger!

You may remember reading that I posted about a friend who almost shot me due to doing what you did, PULLING THE TRIGGER! I will never understand why anyone feel's the need to dry fire a weapon while showing or before handing a gun off to a buddy to show them. WHY? I don't get it! You said it was out of habit, I say it is lack of training. I never ever touch my trigger until I am ready to fire whether it is on the range or to protect myself or if I am taking down a Glock and have no choice but that is in a controlled situation with rules that apply.

My friend had this same habit, he had two ND's within a week or two of each other. The second time I almost took a dirt nap. I don't shoot with him any longer because he has a nasty habit of wanting to pull the trigger EVERY TIME he picks up a gun and also has a bad habit of flagging you with the gun with his finger on the trigger. I have no idea why he does this, we have discussed it many times to the point where I told him if I saw his finger going for the trigger at anytime other than he was ready to fire the weapon I was going to break his finger in several places.

Apparently that threat didn't work because after a long stint away from one another do to the ND he was interested in a handgun I was selling, he came over to check the firearm out, he picked it up and instantly put his finger on the trigger to check it I guess or out of "habit". He didn't even check to see if the weapon was clear! I was shocked and came this [] close to kicking the crap out of him right then and there. But instead I pulled his arm back over the top and behind his back, wenched on it in major discomfort for him and removed the gun from his hand, put it in the box and back in the safe and gave him the option to leave or it was on. He left!

I hated to do that but I am not going to sugar coat something as serious as almost dying do to him being stupid. I am not calling you stupid at all LB, it was a mistake but like my friend, repeat that mistake several times and don't stop or learn from it then you become not only dangerous but stupid. My friend is dangerous and stupid and can't be taught, he has made that very clear. I know you won't make the same mistakes as him but I think this needed to be said if nothing else it can sink in that much further for all of us.

Ti

#15 ·
I had a similar incident years ago with my Sistema 1911. After leaving range I reloaded and strapped. Upon arriving home I sat in my cinderblock cubicle (shop) to clean my weapon and for some stupid reason I did the same thing as longbow. The round ricoched a complete circle around me. This was after several years carrying with the USMC. It CAN happen to anyone and that's why gun safety has to be implimented fanatically. First and foremost, never point it at something u r not ready to shoot, saved my ass. My wife just laughed and checked the insurance policy :biggrin2:.

#16 ·
Real simple on a 1911. When you pull the slide back, always lock it open. Then it's easy to check. Consider putting a bucket of sand next to the safe, and use it when clearing the weapon.

#17 ·
Glad no one was hurt. It's easy to to have a "dugh moment" when we don't have our mind totally on what we are doing. Safe practice like ALWAYS pointing the gun in safe direction can be the difference between a lesson learned or a cotastrophe. It can happen to the best of em.

#18 ·
Nothing goes in the safe loaded, at all. All actions are open, and pistols are stored on a homemade rack. That way, when reaching in you can tell instantly that its empty. This doesnt replace the basic rules, but it does add another layer of security.

Glad everything turned out OK, maybe it was a needed wake up call. (We all need one once in a while.)

#57 ·
Hey, SIXTO, I'm not as practiced here in this shooting arena, but getting there. I try to shoot a few times a month. We've always just kept them unloaded in the safe, but not visibly so. I'm going to head up there now and open all the actions...(well, all three of them anyway) I appreciate the excellent advice. ~MJ

#19 ·
Glad you've learned a lesson, safely!
I don't have to think about loaded guns in my safe, because they all ARE loaded...therefore, the four rules are very important. I do like the idea of a sand bucket in my garage though, for when I do some cleaning...just another cautionary step for the process!

#21 ·
Ouch :sad:
Glad no Injuries.

I'm sure you will learn from this.

These can be made to work in handguns as well as longguns , and will often
block a magwell too.

#24 ·
This thing is nothing more than a crutch, a false sense of security. For the record, this is what my friend had in his gun when he had a ND and almost shot me. Guess what, it didn't work! In fact, it made it worse because of the false sense of security. Where does it say in the four rules to use a plug?

Just follow the rules and all is good.

Ti

#23 ·
I'm obviously glad nobody was hurt. I also appreciate your sharing that story. I'm convinced that kind of thing can happen to any of us. I belive I'm very careful, but who doesn't? Your experience will make me even extra aware and is maybe a good wake up call for everyone.

#25 ·
... and out of habit I dry fire it in a safe direction, BOOOM!!!
Of all the things I've been shown in courses on pistol handling, this is the one thing I've never gotten comfortable with. Remove the magazine; eject the round; drop the slide; drop the hammer; holster. On the range, with a 25ft earthen berm to shoot into, that's one thing. Trouble is, we execute as we train, which makes it risky anywhere off the range if one little thing is forgotten.

To this day, I've not (so far) had an AD/ND. I'm convinced it's due to the safety lessons drilled into me in boy scouts, by my cousins and the couple of buddies who were active in IPSC and got me going on pistols. The four rules work. This type of situation (dropping the hammer as the last act prior to holstering) wouldn't be risky if, as others have noted, the finger is controlled and kept off the trigger until ready to actually fire a live round.

Glad everyone is okay. Close one.

#26 ·
Longbow,
Thanks for your honesty in telling all of us about your mistake. That is something all gun owners would be red-faced about and not anxious to share with others. But by admitting your mistake here it reminds all of us that the rules never bend and always apply. We need to remind ourselves of that every time we are about to touch a gun (or indeed any piece of dangerous machinery). Glad everyone is OK.

#27 ·
Whenever I hear of this type of thing I always reflect back on those that berate some for even suggesting that a Glock is not perfectly safe if you just learn to not pull the trigger and make fun of those the even consider mentioning the possibility of not carrying a round in the chamber.

Whether you want to call it ND's or AD's doesn't really matter because they happen even to those who have trained for years and try to follow all the rules of safety. Humans will make mistakes, all we can do is try to eliminate as many as possible and hope that one won't be our last. You got in a hurry, you were showing off, you screwed up. Learn from it an try not to do it again.

#30 ·
Whenever I hear of this type of thing I always reflect back on those that berate some for even suggesting that a Glock is not perfectly safe if you just learn to not pull the trigger and make fun of those the even consider mentioning the possibility of not carrying a round in the chamber.
I see a lot of logical flaws in this.

Glocks are no less safe than revolvers in the sense that nothing but not pulling the trigger will keep them from firing. Are you suggesting that revolvers should be lumped with Glocks in that regard?

And what gun is "perfectly safe"?

Are you suggesting that manual safeties should be relied upon to make a gun "safer" than those safety-less Glocks?

So far I've had no problem -- no evil demons have made me pull the trigger on my Glock when I wasn't ready to. My brain and finger are better safeties than a switch on a gun. And ask anyone, a manual safety is NOT something you should say "whew" and just go relying on. Should you go pulling on your trigger with a live round chambered, just because you've got the safety on? Anyone who tells you yeah, that's okay, should not have guns.

Carrying a round in the chamber is a standard practice for anyone serious about having a gun ready for self defense. You seem to be championing those who challenge the practice. Well, I got news for you. It's the accepted practice. Not chambering a round is NOT a substitute for proper, safe gun handling. You're acting like this ND is proof that the "don't-chamber-a-round" crowd is right; to me, that's silly. At some point, everyone's gonna have to chamber a round. What do you suggest for avoiding an ND then? I'd say we're back to, "Keep the booger hook off the bang button" all over again at that point. It can't be avoided, and it is the single most effective way to prevent an ND.

#28 ·
glad to hear everyone is ok. man that could stop the heart beat real quick.
i know we all try to be extra careful,but were only human. I like to treat
handling my firearms like dealing with electricity. they can both ruin your
day real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.