Oh man I feel bad

Oh man I feel bad

This is a discussion on Oh man I feel bad within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well it finally happened. Had an ND this evening. Very stupid on my part. My cousin just returned from the sand box a few weeks ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oh man I feel bad

Oh man I feel bad

Well it finally happened. Had an ND this evening. Very stupid on my part. My cousin just returned from the sand box a few weeks ago and we where finally able to get together. Him and his sister and girl friend came over for the evening. After a wile the women where talking girl stuff so I invited my cousin down to the basement to show him my collection of fire arms. So adventualy the girls make there way down there, my wife is showing them around. I pull my 1911 from the safe. Well I am normally very safe and I practice and shoot allot, believe me I am not this careless. well I pull the slide back, look in the camber to make sure it is clear, let it go, and out of habit I dry fire it in a safe direction, BOOOM!!! well guess what? I didn't drop the mag first. this was right in front of every one and in a small area. Man do I feel like the fool. Luckily no one was hurt. I will tell you one thing for sure. That will never happen again.
    Be careful guys and don't get complacent like I did this evening. A 45acp going off in close quarters in not fun. Anyways I just needed to get it off my chest. I think it will take a few days before I feel better.
    Longbow
    Last edited by Longbow; October 21st, 2007 at 11:09 AM.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

VIP Member
    Just goes to show the rest of us, it could happen to anyone! (But that was a ND not an AD! )

Thanks for sharing bro, it sure makes me think twice!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Moderator

at least you followed one of the rules and kept it pointed in a safe direction...

glad to hear noone got hurt.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    A good reminder to the rest of us to double check and be safe. Familiarity breeds complacency.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It can happen to the best of us!!!
    Glad your all safe!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    You may feel bad, but I bet it won't happen again. Whew that will get your blood going hunh?

What did your guests say?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

1943 - 2009
    Don't fret, the ringing in your ears shouldn't be permanent.

Could have turned out a lot worse. Glad it didn't.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Glad no one was hurt. Lesson learned, shake it off. Bummer man!

Austin

I am glad your safe.

Instead of dry fire to go into safe. put your thumb between the hammer and pin, then pull the trigger and let the hammer slide down your thumb. much safer IMO.

I am so glad you and your guests are safe. I know that made you feel queezy.

Administrator

I'll bet that shook you up bit.

Well the most important thing is that you had that muzzle pointed in a known safe direction and that nobody was hurt.

Remember that exact instant when the firearm boomed unexpectedly?

I'm sure that you froze with a total startle response.

The reason I say "remember that" is because that is exactly what will happen to you if you are ever suddenly and unexpectedly jumped or attacked.

It's an interesting human reaction.

Concerning your Negligent Discharge. Be thankful that nobody was injured or worse...and then get over it and move onward & forward.

Bad Stuff Happens Sometimes...and then what we do as thinking and responsible human beings is to learn something valuable from it and then get on with life a little bit wiser.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Glad everyone is OK,
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

This is the very reason why we train and practice the redundant rules. We are human, and will never be perfect, so when one rule is broken - hopefully our training and practice will still be there, and the other rules that you DID practice will keep everyone safe.

I am glad no one is hurt - I pray I don't experience a ND, because I have kids in the house that I love deeply. I couldn't live with myself if I let my stupidness hurt them.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Thanks guys for the comments and good advice, needless to say I didn't sleep very well last night. My quest were very cool about it and didn't freek out or anything. Man oh man did I feel bad, I just wanted to go in a separate room and stay there for a wile. But I maintained my cool and in the end we all kind of laughed it off. BUT I WILL NOT FORGET ABOUT IT. The wife and I had a good talk about it before we went to bed. To nite I am going to clean out and rearrange my safe so that my pistols are stored separately than the mags. and when I put guns away after a range trip they will be stored this way. But it will not replace checking and double checking them when I pull them out for inspection or to go shooting. Longbow
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Distinguished Member
    Happy that no one was hurt, except your pride and ears! For the exact reason that this happened is why I never dry-fire my guns. If I want to pull the trigger I use snap-caps. Best to ya

Z

I had a similar incident years ago with my Sistema 1911. After leaving range I reloaded and strapped. Upon arriving home I sat in my cinderblock cubicle (shop) to clean my weapon and for some stupid reason I did the same thing as longbow. The round ricoched a complete circle around me. This was after several years carrying with the USMC. It CAN happen to anyone and that's why gun safety has to be implimented fanatically. First and foremost, never point it at something u r not ready to shoot, saved my ass. My wife just laughed and checked the insurance policy .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links