Progress!!

This is a discussion on Progress!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by limatunes I doubt that very seriously, unless he suspects that his wife is a lesbian. I'm a woman myself and I've been ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progress!!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I doubt that very seriously, unless he suspects that his wife is a lesbian.

I'm a woman myself and I've been her best friend since we were about three years old. If he sees me as a threat he's got some serious problems (especially since I'm happily married too).

He is welcome to come along, of course!

Doah! I did look @ the OP name. LOL sorry.

2. Remove Ads

Limatunes... just a quick quesion for you on your knives... If I am asking something you you would rather not answer that is fine.. you say you carry five knives daily... I also carry knives, but only two, both are Kershaw, Ken Onion, spring assist open, one is the Chive, the other is the Leek. What type of knives do you carry, and where do you carry five knives?

I am taking my conceal carry class this coming weekend. Once I get my permit, I will still carry my knives, they have been with me for a long time. I've never taken a class, but I have studied on where the best places are to cut a human. I would love to take a class if there was one offered in my area. When you do find the class you are looking for please post it on the forum.

Lead Moderator
    You think these things would be easier to understand... sigh.. oh well.
    If anyone could understand these things we wouldn't need lawyers, so they keep writing things like that.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    How are we expected to understand them - they have no idea what they're talking about themselves!

From the statute: "(iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain."

From Wiki: Shuriken are commonly known in the west as "Chinese stars," "throwing stars" or "ninja stars."

Then, the next paragraph of the statute: "(iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart"

They think it's important enough to specifically ban them; you'd think they'd want to actually know what they're banning. Barrel shroud, Viginia Legislature?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaWalker View Post
    Limatunes... just a quick quesion for you on your knives... If I am asking something you you would rather not answer that is fine.. you say you carry five knives daily... I also carry knives, but only two, both are Kershaw, Ken Onion, spring assist open, one is the Chive, the other is the Leek. What type of knives do you carry, and where do you carry five knives?
    Well... I don't carry five knives because I'm paranoid, I carry them usually because I end up needing them.

When you work at any place that has a lot of boxes you end up needing to open those boxes and so does your colleague and then some random dude behind the counter.

I started only carrying one knife and then having to track it down at the end of the day because someone borrowed it for some task and never returned it. So, I started carrying two knives. Then after needing those consistently someone gave me a third and fourth. At least that way, no matter how many times someone borrowed my knife I'd have at least one for myself.

Three of the four mentioned above are no-namers. They are cheap because they were free. The fourth is a Kershaw Chive (I think that's how you spell it) I got from my brother a few years back.

Then, I got my fifth one... my Ka-Bar. While my other knives have been for utility purposes mostly, this knife is my self defense knife. It goes on my belt behind my magazine pouch and doesn't get used like the others.

The others, I don't care where they go. Usually they all end up clipped to my pockets and they move around a lot during the day due to their constant use. Only my Ka-Bar has a permanent home and it's the only knife with a specific purpose.

I did not think you were paranoid... that was not why I was asking... I never, ever cut anything with my Kershaw knives... they are razor sharp and I plan on keeping them that way. One stays in my pocket, the chive, the leek stays clipped on my weak side pocket for easy access... I have practiced enough using it on my weak side that it should never be a problem. I like the ka-bar LE knives... easy concealment. Am I paranoid? I like to think I am prepared. At work I carry a buck multi-tool that has a knife that I use for open boxes and envelopes.... I work on high speed mail equipment... I open a lot of envelopes when working on a maintenance issue, paper will dull a blade very quickly.

Thanks,
    Walker

Then, I got my fifth one... my Ka-Bar. While my other knives have been for utility purposes mostly, this knife is my self defense knife. It goes on my belt behind my magazine pouch and doesn't get used like the others.

The others, I don't care where they go. Usually they all end up clipped to my pockets and they move around a lot during the day due to their constant use. Only my Ka-Bar has a permanent home and it's the only knife with a specific purpose.
    What type of Ka-bar? If it's over 3" blade length and not open to common observation, it's an illegal mode of carry. Common observation is a nebulous term, like one of your Ken Onions clipped to your pocket is open carry. I keep an Onion Whirlwind on my right pocket, but I removed the spring and it opens a whole lot faster and doesn't pop open if I happen to drop it.
    I'm not a lawyer, so you might want to ask one knowledgeable on VA State code relating to carrying weapons. My Virginia resident's permit says "Permit to carry a concealed handgun", I've never asked if that precludes carrying a BUG.

See if you can try some simulated scenarios with your girlfriend to demonstrate how undesirable off-body carry is. Good luck with the total conversion. She might like a Beretta 92 Compact Type M, it's a 9mm with a singlestack frame (read- thin), shorter than usual grip, but enough mass to make the 9 seem tame.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    What type of Ka-bar? If it's over 3" blade length and not open to common observation, it's an illegal mode of carry. Common observation is a nebulous term, like one of your Ken Onions clipped to your pocket is open carry. I keep an Onion Whirlwind on my right pocket, but I removed the spring and it opens a whole lot faster and doesn't pop open if I happen to drop it.
    I'm not a lawyer, so you might want to ask one knowledgeable on VA State code relating to carrying weapons. My Virginia resident's permit says "Permit to carry a concealed handgun", I've never asked if that precludes carrying a BUG.

See if you can try some simulated scenarios with your girlfriend to demonstrate how undesirable off-body carry is. Good luck with the total conversion. She might like a Beretta 92 Compact Type M, it's a 9mm with a singlestack frame (read- thin), shorter than usual grip, but enough mass to make the 9 seem tame.
    1. Yes, the length of the blade is under 3". It's a TDI Law Enforcement knife.

2. I've already checked with VA state law (see above) and while it is a bit hazy on some of the specifications, it's still pretty clear that with a permit I can at least carry it (whether or not it has to be "open" is the question).

Iowa law says any blade less than 5" is legal, anything over is a misdemeanor of various degrees depending on the length of the blade, 5 - 8" or 8" and above. A 5" blade is a big blade!! Juggernaut, I have never thought about taking the spring out of my knives. I know with the chive I have to be very careful with pocket carry, the blade must be locked, I have had it open in my pocket, cut myself when I put my hand in my pocket. How does it make them faster to open? Do you have to flick your wrist to open it fast?

I’m not a lawyer, but I believe what I have to say is accurate. If need be I can supply the portions of the Virginia Code that relate to what is said below.
    ================================================== ===

In VA the only permit you can get for a weapon is a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). It is only for CONCEALED HANDGUNS. A CHP does not cover any other weapon(s).
    ================================================== ====

According to the Virginia Code there is no need for a "weapons" permit, as they don't exist.
    There are no PERMITS or LICENSES available or necessary to own, carry openly, or carry concealed any “non-gun” weapons.

Even so, various laws limit many weapons.
    Since the question about carrying knives in VA came up in this thread I’ll cover only knives below.
    ================================================== ===

As for “knives” by VA law…

All knives except as stated below, can be carried openly except in certain places such as schools and courthouses. I won’t get into all the details of where knife carry is not allowed in this post.

Knives that are illegal to carry concealed but can be carried openly by VA law:
    dirk, bowie knife, machete, razor, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like weapons.

You can own and carry openly switchblade knives and ballistic knives, but… and this a BIG but…
    It is illegal to sell, barter, give or furnish switchblade knives and ballistic knives.
    The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.
    In other words you can have these knives, but by just having them it is legal evidence that that you are intending to sell, barter, give or furnish them - a felony.
    Bottom line -- don’t mess with them.

There are no blade length limits on knives except that a folding knife can be carried in a school only if the blade is less than three inches in length. There are exceptions to the school carry law.
    ================================================== =====

The Ka-Bar that limatunes has is perfectly legal to carry concealed or openly - no permit available or necessary in VA.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

I have to second Bob on the blade length comment. The only time I've ever been able to find anything referencing limits on blade length in the actual statutes is in regards to carry on school grounds.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links