Progress!!

This is a discussion on Progress!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back in March I started a thread about a friend of mine who was getting married and whose fiance (at the time) had bought her ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress!!

Senior Moderator

Thumbs up Progress!!

Back in March I started a thread about a friend of mine who was getting married and whose fiance (at the time) had bought her a little Kel Tec .32 and wanted her to get her carry permit.

She took a very casual approach to her self defense which alarmed me and I've been slowly working on her since.

At her wedding in June (in Wisconsin where no carry is permitted) I carried a knife constantly (even pulled it out in the middle of their ceremony to help get their rings off the bearer's pillow) and we had some good conversation about self defense.

So, now she's married and working as a secretary at the same place her husband works. Sometimes, due to the nature of the work at the office she works for she can be the only person in the office.

She had not received her permit to carry yet as she's not taken the required class, but her boss has authorized her to keep a weapon near her as she is alone a vast majority of the time.

And so, I got a phone call from her today. She wanted some advice.

As she has started going to the range more often she has discovered that she doesn't like the .32. She doesn't like the way it feels or how it shoots. She likes her husband's 9mm. And that is the gun she takes with her to and from work (legally). However, she has discovered that she doesn't think she could successfully carry that particular gun as it doesn't fit in her purse (yes, she's still planning on carrying in her purse.. we'll have to keep working on that).

So as I was giving her suggestions on a more compact 9mm she mentioned that she was also looking for a knife. I told her about the Ka-Bar I recently bought and she asked where I got it and how much it cost.

When I mentioned that I'm looking into taking a defensive knife class she asked me to let her know what I find as she would like to take the same thing. She said she started looking into knives when she saw how much I used mine (meaning my constant folder companions) and when she started thinking about the gun she will carry in her purse when she gets her permit and how she might not be able to get to it in time and a knife may be necessary.

She says the more she's around the 9mm (she doesn't know exactly what kind of 9mm it is either) she's starting to think more about these kinds of things.

Seven months ago she was swallowing anything her fiance was feeding her but now she's starting to think about these things for herself and taking it all a little more seriously.

I told her when I find a good defensive knife class that we can sign up together and take it. She seemed very comfortable with that as she's always liked to do these kinds of things with other people (for instance she's put off taking her carry class because a friend of hers hasn't been able to fit it into HER schedule).

This is good... this is very good!

Maybe a good holster to go with her new 9mm she's planning on getting will be the perfect gift to convince her that off body carry is not the best means of carry, but with the progress she's making, I'm not too worried.

2. Remove Ads

Course

Suggest you invite the husband along!!
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

Quote Originally Posted by tabsr View Post
    Suggest you invite the husband along!!
    lol yeah, tread lightly, the hubby might see you as a threat!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceKeepr View Post
    lol yeah, tread lightly, the hubby might see you as a threat!
    I doubt that very seriously, unless he suspects that his wife is a lesbian.

I'm a woman myself and I've been her best friend since we were about three years old. If he sees me as a threat he's got some serious problems (especially since I'm happily married too).

He is welcome to come along, of course!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    it's always good to see a person (especially a close friend) start to open their eyes and wake up. Sounds like she's got an excellant guide into the world of awareness and self-defense.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

So far - so good! Looks like she's slowly heading in the right direction.
    Congrats on your leadership qualities in the matter!

It would be a definite plus if you can get her to at least consider a good holster. I'd be a little apprehensive about actually buying her one as a holster is a pretty personal piece of equipment and as we all know we usually end up with several in our holster drawer. Keep up the good work with her.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Very nice way to go about her ability to defend herself. Keep "working"on the concept of self defense and her ability to decide for herself.

wyo-man

I guess my concern is about the knife. Can it be legally carried where you live? Although I haven't checked it out I understand that in Kansas a CCL really means only guns even though the license reads "concealed carry".

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    I guess my concern is about the knife. Can it be legally carried where you live? Although I haven't checked it out I understand that in Kansas a CCL really means only guns even though the license reads "concealed carry".
    Where I live.. As far as the information I found.. Yes the knife is fine with a permit. Where she lives.. I have no clue.. I'd have to look into that or help her look into that.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Lima - are you saying you need a permit to carry a knife where you live?
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Where I live.. As far as the information I found.. Yes the knife is fine with a permit. Where she lives.. I have no clue.. I'd have to look into that or help her look into that.
    I'd double check 18.2-308 on that Lima. I could be wrong here (and please someone help here if I am), but I think only handguns are covered under permit in VA...unfortunately...really sucks. HOWEVER, the code only specifies certain TYPES of knives that CAN'T be carried concealed. So basically anything not stated...is good to go WITHOUT a permit, and even the types they listed can be carried, but they have to be open...
    The below is from the VA Code found here: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308

Pay particular attention to the parts I bolded. I also stopped copying at section D, so if you need to read more...click the link(I already made this thread big enough without copying the entire section).

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:

1. Any person while in his own place of business;

2. Any law-enforcement officer, wherever such law-enforcement officer may travel in the Commonwealth;

3. Any regularly enrolled member of a target shooting organization who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

4. Any regularly enrolled member of a weapons collecting organization who is at, or going to or from, a bona fide weapons exhibition, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;

7. Any State Police officer retired from the Department of State Police, any local law-enforcement officer, auxiliary police officer or animal control officer retired from a police department or sheriff's office within the Commonwealth, any special agent retired from the State Corporation Commission or the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, any conservation police officer retired from the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and any Virginia Marine Police officer retired from the Law Enforcement Division of the Virginia Marine Resources Commission, other than an officer or agent terminated for cause, (i) with a service-related disability; (ii) following at least 15 years of service with any such law-enforcement agency, board or any combination thereof; or (iii) who has reached 55 years of age, provided such officer carries with him written proof of consultation with and favorable review of the need to carry a concealed handgun issued by the chief law-enforcement officer of the last such agency from which the officer retired or, in the case of special agents, issued by the State Corporation Commission or the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. A copy of the proof of consultation and favorable review shall be forwarded by the chief or the Board to the Department of State Police for entry into the Virginia Criminal Information Network. The chief law-enforcement officer shall not without cause withhold such written proof if the retired law-enforcement officer otherwise meets the requirements of this section.

For purposes of applying the reciprocity provisions of subsection P, any person granted the privilege to carry a concealed handgun pursuant to this subdivision, while carrying the proof of consultation and favorable review required, shall be deemed to have been issued a concealed handgun permit.

For purposes of complying with the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004, a retired law-enforcement officer who receives proof of consultation and review pursuant to this subdivision shall have the opportunity to annually participate, at the retired law-enforcement officer's expense, in the same training and testing to carry firearms as is required of active law-enforcement officers in the Commonwealth. If such retired law-enforcement officer meets the training and qualification standards, the chief law-enforcement officer shall issue the retired officer certification, valid one year from the date of issuance, indicating that the retired officer has met the standards of the agency to carry a firearm; and

8. Any State Police officer who is a member of the organized reserve forces of any of the armed services of the United States, national guard, or naval militia, while such officer is called to active military duty, provided such officer carries with him written proof of consultation with and favorable review of the need to carry a concealed handgun issued by the Superintendent of State Police. The proof of consultation and favorable review shall be valid as long as the officer is on active military duty and shall expire when the officer returns to active law-enforcement duty. The issuance of the proof of consultation and favorable review shall be entered into the Virginia Criminal Information Network. The Superintendent of State Police shall not without cause withhold such written proof if the officer is in good standing and is qualified to carry a weapon while on active law-enforcement duty.

For purposes of applying the reciprocity provisions of subsection P, any person granted the privilege to carry a concealed handgun pursuant to this subdivision, while carrying the proof of consultation and favorable review required, shall be deemed to have been issued a concealed handgun permit.

C. This section shall also not apply to any of the following individuals while in the discharge of their official duties, or while in transit to or from such duties:

1. Carriers of the United States mail;

2. Officers or guards of any state correctional institution;

3. —Repealed.]

4. Conservators of the peace, except that the following conservators of the peace shall not be permitted to carry a concealed handgun without obtaining a permit as provided in subsection D hereof: (a) notaries public; (b) registrars; (c) drivers, operators or other persons in charge of any motor vehicle carrier of passengers for hire; or (d) commissioners in chancery;

5. Noncustodial employees of the Department of Corrections designated to carry weapons by the Director of the Department of Corrections pursuant to § 53.1-29; and

6. Harbormaster of the City of Hopewell.

D. Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

JD
    Administrator
    Yeah but the following :

....any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    Leaves some room for interpretation.

Purse

If she is Hell bent on purse carry then by all means get her to spring for the extra money and get a regular "Holster Purse" They keep the gun secure and readily accessible. They also have wire sewn into the strap to prevent it from being cut and ripped off.

Good Luck!!!

Senior Moderator
    Yep, packin, that's pretty much the same thing I read on it. I, myself, am a little confused over whether or not it has to be concealed or not, but it's a start anyway.

You think these things would be easier to understand... sigh.. oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links