Now I understand

This is a discussion on Now I understand within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been around guns for 30+ years, and until I became interested in CCW, took the class, read some books, and started reading on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now I understand

Distinguished Member

Now I understand

I have been around guns for 30+ years, and until I became interested in CCW, took the class, read some books, and started reading on Packing.org and now on this fine forum, I never gave much thought to the following list, but I am only now starting to understand the importance of so many things related to the industry.

Holsters:

Past-It was something to hold my gun period.

Present-It has to cover the trigger to prevent a ND, retain the gun, and allow for a smooth draw.

Spare Magazine:

Past-Allowed more shooting with less reloading.

Present-Is a back-up if the first magazine would fail or accidentally get dropped out of the gun, you know where it is, and you don't have to go looking for it. I see the reason that magazines are made of a shiny material (except the exposed end) so they are easier to find in low light situations with a flashlight. All black magazines may be impossible to find in the dark.

Ammo:

Past-What ever is on sale.

Present-Ammo has to be 100% reliable for feeding, ejecting, and firing.

Bullets:

Past-What ever came with the cheap ammo.

Present-Has to expand, and penetrate properly

Guns:

Past-Well don't laugh My first center-fire pistol was purchase solely because of the T.V. show Miami Vice. I wanted an auto like Don Johnson's and the only thing I could afford was a Laama 9-mm, not a 10-mm like he had, I also had to have a shoulder rig like his, but mine was nylon. I never gave a second thought to the platform of the gun.

Present-My guns now have to be 100% reliable, be concealable, and easy to operate under fire. They need to be accurate also.

Flashlight:

Past-The darn light needs to come on when I CLICK the switch.

Present-My first LED light has a 3 position switch, and I did not understand why it came on the bright setting first, but now I know you want the brightest light you can offer to a BG in the quickest time you can, you won't have time to push the button more than once. Now I want a flashlight with a silent switch and a momentary position if needed.

Like me, I would guess that many of you have also seen the error of your ways over the years and have learned along the way

Z

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Its neat to be able to watch your own progression. Soon enough you will change your opinions on everything again, from gun to holsters.

Then once you settle, its hard to change anything at all even if you really think something might be better than your current set up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Don't forget a REAL gun belt!
    Also, wardrobe considerations will change ... I've tucked in my shirt maybe three times in as many years (usually dinner with the in-laws), then I resort to my j-frame in a pocket or ankle holster.
    Many more facets evolve over the course of carrying. Gotta say though, untucked and casual is soooooo much more comfortable than trying to look neat and presentable.
    Jack

Administrator

Thumbs up

Nice thread post.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Sleepingz thanks for the post. It honestly brought back more memory's than i want to think about lol I do own a couple of that shoulder rig , galco now calls it the " Miami Classic " oO( wonder why , its an old jackass rig that they bought the design for lol ) . and i once owned a genuine Bren 10 with 12 mags , for about 4 days lol I never had a holster to fit it tho . oO( wish i had at least kept the mags now lol ).
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

About 40+ years ago I remember two fellows talking about what gun they were carrying and one said he carried a .32 automatic because he didn't really want to kill anyone, just keep them from beating him up. The other one said "Good luck with that because I shot a fellow in the teeth with one the other night and he spit the bullet out and still came after me". (He actually had)

The times and attitudes for those carrying a gun, getting shot and LEO have changed greatly in those 40+ years. I remember a magazine insert advertising a .22 caliber pistol, holster and bullets for only $15. Alll you had to do was sign the card saying that you were 21 and send it in along with your $15. It is amazing what effect the shooting of President Kennedy has had on this country. I haven't decided if it woke us from dreamland or sent us into paranoia but we definitely changed.

Thanks SleepingZ, for the memories. I remember when I was in high school trying to convince my dad to buy a few military 1911A1s. The ad said they were $17, or $19 for select. They also sold Hotchkiss cannons with 3,000 miles left on the tires for $100. Where did we go wrong?
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Senior Moderator
    I completely agree.... I often look back and see how far I've come and have been amazed, and then I have to smile when I think about how little I actually have learned. There is still SOOO much more out there to learn about these kinds of things and it's going to fun trying to learn it all!

Well-spoken, Grasshopper, I believe you may now carry the kettle and go out into the world...

I can also look back...I did not realize the true responsibilities when I first started CCW, but then we all started somewhere! We all started out with that 'first step'...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I was a kid, guns was just for hunting and plinking...

Now... they still contain that purpose.. but they are for so much more.

Yup, times change - people change - and old dogs CAN learn new tricks...

Past - For sixty-eight years never owned a gun or carried a weapon of any kind except while in the military - never saw the need (and I was right - never came close to needing it).

Present - Carry a fully loaded semi-auto with two spare mags and a very sharp folder 24/7/365 - still haven't seen a need, but "times they are a changin' " (hope I don't find out I'm right again).
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

We've all been there and done that; if you don't have a cardboard box full of holsters by now then you're just not trying hard enough.

Stay alert and let's not all become
    "Any pistol you carry for personal protection is fine.....as long as it starts with a 4 and ends with a 5."

VIP Member
    Sounds like a natural progression.......except for maybe the Don Johnson part .
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    For sure - a natural progression for most of us I think. This old man has only carried for 5 1/2 years but my 'evolution' has been gradual and interesting!

It is darned hard to get it all right first time even with advice thrown in from others ...... some things we have to find out thru experience and experimentation.

Good resume of your rationale over time and the end results.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

"tis a long and interesting road we are all on." Only reason I hang around is I can't wait to see what happens next!
    Zippo9
    USAF Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links