NC residents: severe drought = no CCW

This is a discussion on NC residents: severe drought = no CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Governor Easley is considering declaring a State of Emergency soon in regards to water restrictions. Too bad for us we have a statute (14-288.7) that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NC residents: severe drought = no CCW

Thumbs down NC residents: severe drought = no CCW

Governor Easley is considering declaring a State of Emergency soon in regards to water restrictions. Too bad for us we have a statute (14-288.7) that reads:
    14‑288.7. Transporting dangerous weapon or substance during emergency; possessing off premises; exceptions.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to transport or possess off his own premises any dangerous weapon or substance in any area:

(1) In which a declared state of emergency exists; or

(2) Within the immediate vicinity of which a riot is occurring.

(b) This section does not apply to persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.

(c) Any person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1969, c. 869, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 192; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

I can't wait for my CC permit to be temporarily invalidated on account of lack of rainfall.

2. Remove Ads

Actually, wouldnt the best time to carry your weapon be in an emergency?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P991911 View Post
    My thoughts exactly!!!!!!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by P991911 View Post
    Nope, not even in your own home if the Chief of Police autonomously makes an illegal proclamation to the media. That's all it takes for some cops to follow illegal orders. As far as I know, no reprimands or discipline of any kind have been forthcoming for either the Chief or the LEOs that carried out his illegal orders in the aftermath of Katrina.

Here in Bama, we're under the longest and driest drought in recorded history. I don't think the whole state is under a declared emergency yet, but if it doesn't rain in torrents pretty soon, we will be. It never occurred to me that a state of emergency is the most likely time to be disarmed by the state until I saw what happened in NOLA after Katrina. We're in real trouble if a Chief of Police can get away with suspending The Constitution on a whim. Just imagine the power that a governor could exert if (s)he was of a mind to.

Good luck in NC and all over the Southeast. God forbid anyone should plan for a disaster by stockpiling food and water and have the gall to defend that stockpile from hungry, thirsty thieves. Or, like in the case of the woman in the above video, try to defend her home against the illegal orders of the Chief of Police who was sworn to protect her rights.

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Yikes! Makes me glad I moved out of NC last year. Don't get me wrong, I was there for 13 years and thought it a fine place to live--but I wasn't aware of this law either.

Brian

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Yikes! Makes me glad I moved out of NC last year. Don't get me wrong, I was there for 13 years and thought it a fine place to live--but I wasn't aware of this law either.

Brian
    This could be done nation wide. However, if its a true emergency, I dont think many people would care if its illegal or not. At that point it would be about survival.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hadn't thought about this possibility b/c of the drought. Katrina scenarios I'm well aware of but this one slipped up on me!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I smell a law that needs to be changed.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I smell a law that needs to be changed.
    It was just put in place nationwide about ten years ago or so (Klinton) but nobody seems to be in a bug hurry to correct anything of this nature.
    I still standby my theory of if its really a SHTF senario, who cares at that point. I'm sure as heck not going door to door collecting guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    Governor Easley is considering declaring a State of Emergency soon in regards to water restrictions. Too bad for us we have a statute (14-288.7) that reads:

I can't wait for my CC permit to be temporarily invalidated on account of lack of rainfall.
    It's only a Class 1 misdemeanor .... I'll take my chances.
    "America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall."

I suppose I'm not allowed to defend myself in a 'state of emergency' also? One thing is for sure, if I lay down and let a perp kill me and my family I can die in peace knowing that I haven't broken any petty laws. And, obeying the state is more imporant than protecting human life - isn't that what these laws are saying?

I've always said the polticos who make these rules should be the first to live by them, but they do the opposite. In a true state of emergency their security gets doubled up, not disbanded. Now, your security is another matter, isn't it? And you have to ask yourself if your life is less important than theirs, lacking the same merit of protection.

As to the drought thing - I think we have your water up here in MN we are having record rainfalls - basically it's raining every day and will rain today, also.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    The drought is really serious around here. The main water supply for my city (Raleigh) is well below 40% capacity and falling. (predicted 2 month supply left) Kinda scary going over bridges where just 2 years ago all you could see was water but now all you see is grass.

This is a very bad senario, if a state of emergency is declared because of the water supply, when exactly would it be lifted? It is kind of an open ended thing. It will take years to gain a reasonable level again, and during that time we are all disarmed.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Can you still buy ammo under a State of Emergency?
    In Florida we can't. Fortunately most stores don't know it.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post

This is a very bad senario, if a state of emergency is declared because of the water supply, when exactly would it be lifted? It is kind of an open ended thing. It will take years to gain a reasonable level again, and during that time we are all disarmed.
    Not to mention new statues cannot even be discussed until the new Legislative session in 2009. That's a long-term bend-over for ya right there.

They passed a law in Oklahoma that in a state of emergency, the state or local government can not confiscate your firearms. I'm not sure how it would work in your case, but write or call your senator and complain.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links