I know I know.....

This is a discussion on I know I know..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; that carrying being allowed on utah campuses has been beaten to death but i saw this link and thought it was pretty cool what they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know I know.....

I know I know.....

that carrying being allowed on utah campuses has been beaten to death but i saw this link and thought it was pretty cool what they are now offering at some campuses. Im curious as to what the class covers as im sure alot of new people are being exposed to CCW i sure hope they are having some general firearm instruction with it! enjoy!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=2012831

2. Remove Ads

Man, I hope this catches on!

VIP Member
    "My purpose in getting a concealed weapon was, in essence, to become a good citizen."
    Quote of the year.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

How to we stop this...

"I don't really feel like I should be sitting next to someone with a gun," says Shannon Hook. "And in case something does happen, I don't really necessarily believe everybody has the capability of actually doing something without maybe hurting other people in the process."

I don't understand the fear. Does Shannon fear the gun will sneak out of its hiding spot and shoot her? I don’t get it. And for that matter, I don’t believe anybody, from the most highly trained SWAT member to some grandmother that has never fired a gun before, will be able to stop a active gunmen “without maybe hurting other people”, but isn’t it still better to do SOMETHING other than beg a mad man with a gun for your life.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

The fear of a fellow student w/ a gun is not that it will 'just go off'. The fear is that in a V-Tech situation there was one mad man, BG, shooting people. Now if there are armed students, there are XX number of people tossing lead around. They fear getting hit by a GG on top of a BG. If successful, the GG saves a lot of lives but you never know who or how many. If the GG hits one person, then to them you too are a BG.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon51 View Post
    How to we stop this...

"I don't really feel like I should be sitting next to someone with a gun," says Shannon Hook. "And in case something does happen, I don't really necessarily believe everybody has the capability of actually doing something without maybe hurting other people in the process."

I don't understand the fear. Does Shannon fear the gun will sneak out of its hiding spot and shoot her? I donít get it. And for that matter, I donít believe anybody, from the most highly trained SWAT member to some grandmother that has never fired a gun before, will be able to stop a active gunmen ďwithout maybe hurting other peopleĒ, but isnít it still better to do SOMETHING other than beg a mad man with a gun for your life.

I still don't get it. I think I would have a better chance if two people are shooting at each other and I happen to be in the room than I would if one single person was only shooting at me.
    Support Maryland Shall Issue
    http://www.marylandshallissue.org/

Maryland Shooters,
    Visit http://www.mdshooters.com/

I prefer that one armed law abiding citizen is sitting next to me anyplace, regardless of their training, as opposed to the promise that all the police in the world will be there in time to see that the corner places my body in a bag with the respect it deserves.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    That is awesome. I'm sure it'll be popular, and maybe other universities/states will jump on the wagon.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That's good news!

Except for the way the reporter wrote it:

"Events on Tuesday will commemorate the six-month anniversary of an incident that shocked the nation. A student at Virginia Tech systematically gunned down students and teachers, killing 32."

WHAT ON EARTH is a "six-month anniversary"?!

Is it anything like a two-wheeled tricycle? A single-winged biplane? A two-headed snake that was born with only one head? A fixed-wing helicopter?

I mean, ANNI- means YEAR! An anniversary commemorates the passing of a YEAR, not some portion of a year. When kids in junior high celebrate having gone out for 10 weeks, they say they're celebrating their "10-week anniversary"... I remember kids doing just that. It's silly. But for a reporter to write like that... inexcusable.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    "This continuing education class at Weber State is not for credit. It's open to off-campus folks too, as long as they're at least 21 years old and meet legal requirements for a gun permit."

That's a shame. In a world where they give people college credit for "life experience," I would think that learning how to defend yourself would qualify.

CNN Video on Guns on Campus

...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    Spoken like a true citizen of the New Age.

What he really means it this...

I don't really feel like I should be sitting next to someone with a gun because guns are dangerous and people are more likely to be killed with their own gun according to statistics. And in case something does happen, since,like,I obviously can do nothing except lie in the fetal position and cry for Mama..I don't necessarily believe that everybody has the capability of actually doing something without hurting someone else that is also laying in the fetal position expecting to die.
    I mean...its like...so brutal to have to shoot someone isn't it? I think its better to play the victim and appeal to the emotions of the shooter because He's just so misunderstood ya know? Besides...we had a "no tolerance" policy in the second grade and we were taught to NEVER fight back or defend ourselves because we would be like...suspended or taken to jail or something.
    So...really...I feel like...its SO dangerous bringing a gun to school.
    It makes me feel bad.

I get so tired of this crap. It makes me weary.We are raising up a nation of cowards and people that simply cannot think for themselves.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    The fear of a fellow student w/ a gun is not that it will 'just go off'. The fear is that in a V-Tech situation there was one mad man, BG, shooting people. Now if there are armed students, there are XX number of people tossing lead around. They fear getting hit by a GG on top of a BG. If successful, the GG saves a lot of lives but you never know who or how many. If the GG hits one person, then to them you too are a BG.
    Hey you know what ?
    I've got two kids in college. If a some crazed maniac comes in and shoots the place up and a firefight ensues and one of my kids is accidentally killed, by the good guy, I wont necessarily think that he is a bad guy for shooting my kid. I will just think that he did what he could to alleviate the situation and things tend to go wrong especially in close combat situations.
    Will it make it any easier ? I suspect not.
    But I will not fault the man or woman for taking action,any action to try to safe their own life or the lives of others that choose to be unarmed.

Which is the lesser offense ?
    Not shooting for fear of harming others when you have the means to stop it?
    Or shooting to end a threat and getting some collateral damage with it?

Thats always the question isn't it? I think that it is better to act than to not act...because you can what-if a situation to death. As as good friend of mine, a Captain in the USN told once told me, what-iffing a situation does not justify inaction.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    kudos to them.

You might want to post it on this thread (same topic)

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=34341
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I think those people threatening to sue would probably sue even if they weren't accidentally shot!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links