Wife Logic....

Wife Logic....

This is a discussion on Wife Logic.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you have wives who think that all firearms should be kept at home? My wife has a very nice Sig P226 (so ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wife Logic....

Wife Logic....

How many of you have wives who think that all firearms should be kept at home?

My wife has a very nice Sig P226 (so nice I often want to borrow it), but she is reluctant to take it out of the house, unless she is on a road trip to south Florida to visit me if I am down there for an extended period of time.

She also has of late taken issue with me taking my P228 out when we go to "public places" (movies, mall, etc.). I can't speak for other areas of the country, but in the Tampa area you can't go a week or two without someone being killed/badly hurt by some punk at the mall who thinks the world owes him something and he will take it from whomever happens across him.

She seems to just go through phases where she is uncomfortable with it and I have to pull out the latest articles again.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but wanted to know since I am sure at least one of you guys has come across this, what have you all found to work best when trying to overcome this?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Events of the last 6 years, and becoming parents has really changed it for my wife. She will be taking her class here in a couple of weeks, and going to get her permit after that.

I have also been striving (and straining the pocketbook) to give her many options for CCW, including 3 new pistols over the last 3 months. This seems to be helping her along with the idea, and the desire to carrry at all times.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    Is a gun in general issue, or she doesnt want to carry something as nice as a Sig around, chancing it to get scratched lost etc?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

My wife used to have that attitude. Now she carries 24/7. The wife previous to her turned out to be an anti. That is the one area that I don't give in on, and never will.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Not mine ! She has her CCW!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Is a gun in general issue, or she doesnt want to carry something as nice as a Sig around, chancing it to get scratched lost etc?
    Actualy ...
    She refuses to use anything OTHER than a Sig, but she only wants to carry when she is on long car trips without me. She won't even touch my FFDO sidearm.

I am going to have a discussion with her tonight about it but wanted some "ammo" (parden the pun) to use as she in an engineer and she likes facts and data.

I have the "concealment " issue taken care of... between a SOB holster, my Galco concealment and a few IWBs I am looking at there are no issues on that front.

The other issues I think might come up: ammo choices (chances of hurting bystanders), fear of being disarmed,... not sure what else there could be.

I guess I will see what you all come up with and after I talk to her come back for some followup advice.

VIP Member
    I don't have an easy answer for you, good luck and you are giving her the best advice. I was going to suggest she try a different gun, but you mentioned she prefers Sigs. My wife's ccw is a S&W 642, and I don't think she'd leave home without it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Mine has her CCW, but usually doesn't carry when we are together because she knows I ALWAYS carry; though when things get a little suspisious she asks if I am packing just to be sure.

Many people use analogies between firearms owned/carried for protection and:

1) Spare tire
    2) Car insurance
    3) Fire extinguisher
    4) First aid kit
    5) Homeowners insurance

And of course there are more things that fall into this category of "Items we hope to never need, but if we do we'll need them very BADLY."

Think this angle can make a permanent dent?

Brian -
    Now that is a GREAT way to look at it.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rgreenpc View Post
    ...what have you all found to work best when trying to overcome this?
    Peaceful coexistence.

I have always had a "house pistol". I got a CWP about a year after it became legal in CO---I made the decision and informed her after the fact. When I started carrying all the time, including at home, her first reaction was "put that thing away, there's no one here to shoot but me". She got over that and I read her enough "armed citizen" stories to make her aware of the possibly dire consequences of being without. So now we don't talk about it and she has accepted the fact of my being armed all the time.

Different Strokes...

My wife and I have different opinions.

For me, if we're outta' eggs, I'm protected while on a 10-minute trip for groceries. Visiting her parents? I armed for the nearly 3-hour drive and the weekend in the country (boondocks). Camping? It's a matter of course. A walk around the block? You bet! And the added weight actually increases the cardio benefit, and the dog doesn't complain, either.

My wife tends to only carry when we're headed out of town and into the back country. Carry in town and on short trips is very seldom for her... We've discussed at length why I carry "so much" and she "so little"... We've agreed to disagree. Basically, "Carry for protection" vs "carry when you feel the need".

And for gosh sakes, don't get me started on "how on earth do you figure out how to know when you "need" to carry?!?
    [BTW: I'm not the one with the stick...]

So, for us, we're content to carry to suit our individual needs and desires. I'd rather she carry more (all the time), she'd rather I leave the gun at home now and then (ain't gonna' happen any time soon).
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Find her a gun she is comfortable with and have her train till she feels good about it and becomes proficient with it.
    All I can think of to add to that is that she has to realize that, no matter how much we wish it wasn't so, there are people out there that want something for nothing and they don't care how they get it. They are the people with no regard for human life.
    She also has to come to a realization that if it comes to it, she would be able to pull that trigger with the intention of killing someone for the purpose of defending her life or the life of a loved one.
    If she has any doubts that she would be able to shoot to kill, she shouldn't be carrying.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Can't you just carry concealed without her knowing it? Does she see and/or ask when you "suit up" to go out? john

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links