Stupid Georgia Gun Laws Almost Enabled Mass Shooting Last Week

This is a discussion on Stupid Georgia Gun Laws Almost Enabled Mass Shooting Last Week within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tankdriver Why? TN's law is written with a "Safe Harbor" clause. If you carry where you should not, and you have to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Georgia Gun Laws Almost Enabled Mass Shooting Last Week

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    Why?

TN's law is written with a "Safe Harbor" clause. If you carry where you should not, and you have to use your weapon, they will not go back and charge you with illegale carry.

39-17-1322. Defenses.

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.

[Acts 1994, ch. 943, 1.]
    Because it is illegal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. I travel to Tn quite often and I get tired of having to eat at Mcsonalds and Taco Hell..
    So you're defending it being illegal to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol? Or are you saying don't worry about it , go ahead and carry illegally and hope you dont get caught? So that "clause" is good enough for you?

2. Remove Ads

Why?

TN's law is written with a "Safe Harbor" clause. If you carry where you should not, and you have to use your weapon, they will not go back and charge you with illegale carry.

39-17-1322. Defenses. —

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.

[Acts 1994, ch. 943, § 1.]
    Talk about a 'mixed' message...
    Not allowed to HAVE your gun, but if you stop a crime with it...it's OK...sheeesh!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ahhhhh...
    The GunShine State, we don't have these silly problems!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You guys in Florida need to read the rules closely. You can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, BUT do not go into the area that's predominately a bar. A lot of places are like this, Chili's, Applebee's, etc., not sure how you'd avoid it in most Hooter's/Winghouses! They're kind of built around a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    You guys in Florida need to read the rules closely. You can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, BUT do not go into the area that's predominately a bar. A lot of places are like this, Chili's, Applebee's, etc., not sure how you'd avoid it in most Hooter's/Winghouses! They're kind of built around a bar.
    Don't go to bars...
    Have no reason to sit in Chili's bar...we go to eat!
    ...for that matter, FL would still allow you to have a beer and CCW in the restaraunt part of Chili's...
    Please, NO COMMENTS about CCW and alcohol, I'm just responding to clarify the FL law...The GunShine State is a great place!

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If I want to drink a beer when I am out with the wife I leave the gun at home. I don`t do this often.
    Keep your powder dry

[QUOTE=tankdriver;507488]Why?

Now that's a law we can all live with unfortunately North Carolina doesn't allow this. No fireams displayd or conceled in an establishment that serves alcohol.

I feel lucky living in Colorado. We can go to a bar and not worry, as long as we are not "Uder the influence" of alchohol. Colorado refuses to define under the influence, but it is assumed to be about .08. That is ~1-2 drinks for a large man. ~1 drink for a petite woman. The only places off limits in CO is post offices, K-12, places that have metal detectors, federal courts, etc.

Thankfully WV doesn't have the law. My wife and I often go to resturants that serve and we are always "packin."

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Hondov65;512500]
    Why?

Now that's a law we can all live with unfortunately North Carolina doesn't allow this. No fireams displayd or conceled in an establishment that serves alcohol.
    But if you get caught carrying, you go to jail. I don't think the law is written so people will break the law and carry anyway. It's a risk I don't want to take. Go to jail and probably loose your permit. Sounds like some are defending the no-carry laws in restaraunts, like the "clause" is good enough.

[QUOTE=robere;513966]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondov65 View Post
    But if you get caught carrying, you go to jail. I don't think the law is written so people will break the law and carry anyway. It's a risk I don't want to take. Go to jail and probably loose your permit. Sounds like some are defending the no-carry laws in restaraunts, like the "clause" is good enough.
    GA provides no such protection. However, there have been two cases of shootings at bars lately.

In one, an off-duty cop (who is NOT prohibited from carrying at the bar, he's one of the special people on the exempted list) opened fire at a man driving away in his truck AFTER they had a bit of an altercation. Bad shoot, the shooter is in big trouble.

In the other, a man left the bar after a fight, went home and came back to the bar with a gun to settle the score. He was shot by another bar patron. Good shoot, no charges. However, the shooter was NOT carrying legally, yet he has not been charged with carrying at the bar…so far.

Why?

[Acts 1994, ch. 943, 1.]
    True, but a TN carry permit forbids carry in places where alcohol is served. In the event that someone sees you carrying, you will make the front page of the paper and instantly become a felon. Parks are included too. The park referendum was voted down a few months ago, and is scheduled to come back around early next year.
    Virginia allows open carry in places where alcohol is served (No conceal).
    The key is to get Fla to do the same. everyone in the south follows in the footpath of Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    True, but a TN carry permit forbids carry in places where alcohol is served. In the event that someone sees you carrying, you will make the front page of the paper and instantly become a felon. Parks are included too. The park referendum was voted down a few months ago, and is scheduled to come back around early next year.
    Virginia allows open carry in places where alcohol is served (No conceal).
    The key is to get Fla to do the same. everyone in the south follows in the footpath of Fla.
    Leave our Florida Laws alone! I don't want to be forced to open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. The 51% rule works fine for me...
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    In the event that someone sees you carrying, you will make the front page of the paper
    Uh...what?

Concealed means concealed. Don't let your weapon be seen. I have emailed my MS state legislators and asked them to amend our concealed carry laws to remove the restrictions, or at the least,remove the liability if you CC and have to use the weapon in a restricted area - much like the TN safe harbor clause. That probably has a better chance of passing than a complete removal, but I'll keep trying. I don't really advocate open carry for civilians for many of the reasons discussed in other threads. But some of the restrictions imposed by law are simply ignorant and downright dangerous.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links