Loading Magazine Wearing Gloves? - Page 2

Loading Magazine Wearing Gloves?

This is a discussion on Loading Magazine Wearing Gloves? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In our discussions about microstamping, it has been submitted that the criminally minded might go to a range and collect brass to distribute at a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    In our discussions about microstamping, it has been submitted that the criminally minded might go to a range and collect brass to distribute at a crime scene to confuse authorities. No reason this couldn't apply to to fingerprints as well. I could see doing this with range ammo, but for carry ammo it has dishonorable undertones.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member
    Unless your casings/primers are made from rice paper, I can't see the oils on your fingers damaging them...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    fingerwhat...?sounds goofy to me

Only good reason is if you know that the uncontrollable urge to commit a felony might bight you at any time.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I think someone has been watching too much CSI. That is the only place I have seen where the issue has come up, ie tracking down a killer by print on a bullet.

Personally, I think it is a bit over the top to even think about it. I am sure that most of us have lots of prints on their carry ammo. I know that, I have taken the rounds out of the clip in my pistol now at least 3 times, so there should be lots of prints on my ammo.

How would one explain that if it came up in an investigation. Ah, excuse me Mr. X, how did it come to be that your next door neighbors prints happened to be on the bullet that you used to shoot the dead guy, and after further review, we have been unable to find any of your prints on your ammunition or magazine. Can you explain that?

Would love to hear that explaination if it ever came up.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

There have been a few times I wished I had gloves when loading mags, like when the ladies in the family are doing a lot of shooting and I am the designated magazine loader.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post
    I'll load magazines wearing gloves...

but only if I'm at an outdoor range, and it's freaking cold out!

--Jim
    +1

Seems ridiculous unless its really cold
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    If your ammo is going to be in that mag for months it makes sense.
    Try this: take one round from a new box and run your fingers over it. Then put it back in ther box and in 5 or 6 months check it. Tarnished corroded. Want to bet your life on that feeding?
    Is this what the orginal poster had in mind? Yeah, right.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I seem to remember back in the dark ages some old .22 rounds I had showed green verdigris on the brass after being handled and put away. Only reason I can think of not to finger your brass (something just slightly dirty about that statement), unless you're planning on being up to no good, or you're just a troll.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Maybe not with FMJ ammo but has anyone thought of lead rounds and the toxicity of open wounds and lead bullets. In the winter months my hands are so dry my fingers split on the ends so I wear surgical type gloves when running the reloading press.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Sounds to me like this person has paranoid big bother syndrome

Only if I'm at the range and I want to keep my fingers from getting torn up from the feed lips (darn wonder9's)

Sounds like this guy needs to get a revolver.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Some believe, I think it's BS, that the oils from your fingers can damage the primers, making them less reliable.
    The only time I have ever experience that was about 20 years ago when my father was reloading. I was helping get primers ready and I used my little fingers to flip them over the correct way before putting them in the tube. It turned out that the oils from my fingers damaged about half the primers, and consequently we had a bad batch of about 200 reloads. Neither one of us realized that it was a problem until another reloader asked my father if I was helping him. The other reloader then explained that he had the same experience when his son helped him once.

I have never had damaged primers because of body oils after the bullet was assembled, however.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

The only "legit" reason is if the guy is planning to something "illegit" and then getting the heck outta Dodge.

How do people think of these things?
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links