Defensive Carry banner

Loading Magazine Wearing Gloves?

19K views 51 replies 45 participants last post by  mcnulty@michweb.net 
#1 ·
I was reading a thread from another forum. A guy asked how many people wear gloves to keep there fingerprints off there ammunition. Why would anyone even think about doing that? I personally think it is rediculous and could turn the table on you in a self defense situation. Perhaps they can play the premeditated game? Anyone here have a legitimate reason why anyone would want to do this? I know I wouldn't. I mean unless I plan on commiting a criminal act, I can find no other reason. If I shoot someone in self defense I am pretty sure it is going to be obvious. I'm not gonna be the guy in the ski mask... nor will I be wearing gloves.

:nono:

#4 ·
Probably the same type of person that believes if you end up shooting a bad guy in your front yard, you should drag the body into the house and then kick in your own door so it looks like he had allready broke in.

#8 ·
I agree that there is something not quite right in a person not wanting their own fingerprints on ammunition that they carry in their firearm for the purpose of legitimate self-defense.

Sounds like a goofball watching too many episodes of Forensic Files.

#11 ·
What is in his head? I can tell you exactly what is in his head.
What is in his head would be a scenario where he would be involved in either a good or bad shoot and then would take off...and go run and hide ...and watch the TV news from under Mommy's bed...rather than call 911 and report the incident. That is what is in his head.
A guy who thinks he is intelligent enough to beat a Forensic Police & Homicide Investigation and they never are. So he is the guy that will be looking over his shoulder in fear constantly for 2, 5, 10, 20 years until they finally grab his arse and he ends up in prison until all of his teeth and hair are gone from his head.
That's what's in his head.

Worrying about fingerprints on your rounds is very strange, especially if your a law abiding citizen. I would like to know what is really in the guy's head.

#10 ·
Seems ridiculous to me.

#12 ·
A thought...

The only reason I can see is if you're hands aren't up to the task. Sometimes, loading that last AR round or packing the last hollow-point into the mag requires a bit of a push...my fingies are sore sometimes after getting ready for the range, too.

Those little plastic loaders are neat, and a better solution than gloves...

#13 ·
Reminds me of a post I saw elsewhere by an idiot who was discussing getting a "friend" to load the magazine.

My prints are on everything I own or legitimately use (like a keyboard at work). That's one thing I never think about.

Wearing leather or cloth gloves would make it pretty hard for me to load a magazine anyway; wearing thin rubber gloves would quickly shred them. Jamming the last round into the 10th mag of the day (even using the plastic gadget) can be slightly painful, but I think wearing gloves to reduce pain would be offset by interference with grip.

#14 ·
I was reading a thread from another forum. A guy asked how many people wear gloves to keep there fingerprints off there ammunition. Why would anyone even think about doing that? I personally think it is rediculous and could turn the table on you in a self defense situation. Perhaps they can play the premeditated game? Anyone here have a legitimate reason why anyone would want to do this? I know I wouldn't. I mean unless I plan on commiting a criminal act, I can find no other reason. If I shoot someone in self defense I am pretty sure it is going to be obvious. I'm not gonna be the guy in the ski mask... nor will I be wearing gloves.

:nono:

Some believe, I think it's BS, that the oils from your fingers can damage the primers, making them less reliable.

#30 ·
The only time I have ever experience that was about 20 years ago when my father was reloading. I was helping get primers ready and I used my little fingers to flip them over the correct way before putting them in the tube. It turned out that the oils from my fingers damaged about half the primers, and consequently we had a bad batch of about 200 reloads. Neither one of us realized that it was a problem until another reloader asked my father if I was helping him. The other reloader then explained that he had the same experience when his son helped him once.

I have never had damaged primers because of body oils after the bullet was assembled, however.

#16 ·
In our discussions about microstamping, it has been submitted that the criminally minded might go to a range and collect brass to distribute at a crime scene to confuse authorities. No reason this couldn't apply to to fingerprints as well. I could see doing this with range ammo, but for carry ammo it has dishonorable undertones.

#17 ·
Unless your casings/primers are made from rice paper, I can't see the oils on your fingers damaging them...

#20 ·
I think someone has been watching too much CSI. That is the only place I have seen where the issue has come up, ie tracking down a killer by print on a bullet.

Personally, I think it is a bit over the top to even think about it. I am sure that most of us have lots of prints on their carry ammo. I know that, I have taken the rounds out of the clip in my pistol now at least 3 times, so there should be lots of prints on my ammo.

How would one explain that if it came up in an investigation. Ah, excuse me Mr. X, how did it come to be that your next door neighbors prints happened to be on the bullet that you used to shoot the dead guy, and after further review, we have been unable to find any of your prints on your ammunition or magazine. Can you explain that?

Would love to hear that explaination if it ever came up.

#21 ·
There have been a few times I wished I had gloves when loading mags, like when the ladies in the family are doing a lot of shooting and I am the designated magazine loader.

#23 ·
If your ammo is going to be in that mag for months it makes sense.
Try this: take one round from a new box and run your fingers over it. Then put it back in ther box and in 5 or 6 months check it. Tarnished corroded. Want to bet your life on that feeding?
Is this what the orginal poster had in mind? Yeah, right.

AFS

#25 ·
I seem to remember back in the dark ages some old .22 rounds I had showed green verdigris on the brass after being handled and put away. Only reason I can think of not to finger your brass (something just slightly dirty about that statement), unless you're planning on being up to no good, or you're just a troll. :nutkick:

#26 ·
Maybe not with FMJ ammo but has anyone thought of lead rounds and the toxicity of open wounds and lead bullets. In the winter months my hands are so dry my fingers split on the ends so I wear surgical type gloves when running the reloading press.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.