Have you ever been asked for your credentials

This is a discussion on Have you ever been asked for your credentials within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iíve been carrying a sidearm since I was 18. I worked for about 6 years as an auxiliary deputy sheriff, and 4 years for the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been asked for your credentials

Iíve been carrying a sidearm since I was 18. I worked for about 6 years as an auxiliary deputy sheriff, and 4 years for the US Justice Department. All the other times, Iíve just had a concealed weapons license/permit.

In those 30 plus years Iíve carried a concealed weapon, Iíve only been asked once for credentials.

So my question to you is this:

Have you ever been asked for your credentials and if so why?

Nope, it's nobody's business whether I have a CC permit or not here in Texas UNLESS it's a LEO who's asking for ID in the performance of his/her official duty (you're stopped for a traffic violation, for example). The rule of thumb is if the police ask you for your driver's license, you also show your concealed cary license. If you have a Texas CC license it will also show up on the DL report when the police do an ID/DL check, so it's a good idea to tell them up front, ESPECIALLY if you are carrying at the time.

Aside from the police if stopped by one acting in an official capacity, there is no requirement to show your carry permit to anyone.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Administrator
    I'm asked often enough, but then again I go a lot of places armed most people dont go. It does suprise me that I can walk right into "secure" areas and no one stops or questions me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hey, sorry if I'm hijacking this thread a bit, but the OP reminded me of a question I had. I used to work at a video store in Bismarck a few years back and when someone wrote a check, we asked for picture I.D. A guy came in and wrote a check and all he had was his concealed permit so he showed me that, paid for his stuff, and was on his way.
    Was it kosher for him to do that? Or should you ONLY show it to a LEO when asked? Just curious!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

I haven't had "credentials" very long so no I have never been asked. However I have carried a pistol in my car for many years and have never been asked about it. It may be my imagination but sure seems that many on here have more "interaction" with LEO per month that I have in my 57 years.

in MI we have to inform an LEO if pulled over.
    which i have been 2 times since i got my license a few months ago (never for speeding though). the first time i had to show him my license b/c it wasnt running through my drivers license b/c it was too new. the second time (yesterday) he didnt even bother running my license. instead we had a nice chat about what gun i carry, how often i shoot, etc - ends up he also works at a local range.
    other than that i cant think of a reason of why anyone would ever see my license.

VIP Member
    Last summer I was asked by a LEO in a Starbucks if I had a permit, actually she said "do you have a permit for that?" (I was leaning over the bar to get a straw and probably printed.) I said "yes", she said "ok" and never asked to see it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Never have yet!!! Steve48

Never been asked for credentials yet. Been carrying over a year now. One time my shirt somehow got stuck behind my pistol and a store manager asked "Is that thing legal?" It was a simple yes and that was that. If he didn't believe me he could have called the police. Not showing it unless it is a LEO.

No, never been asked. I did have one friend who in an odd circumstance I had to tell her that I had a gun with me. She didn't say a word, but sometime later, I was talking to her and had to assure her several times that I was not law enforcement (that was her assumption).
    It's my understanding that when LE runs my license plate here in Missouri, it comes right up that I have CCW - but I've not been stopped since I got it three years + ago.

i've shown my permit to one LEO, and to the human resources manager of my last job. thet needed two photo IDs, and besides my driver's ID, it's all i had. she photocopied it, and said "cool."

Showed mine twice. Once during a traffic stop - uneventful.

The other was at a bank. I had made a special trip to the bank to sign signature cards for a volunteer organization and once at the bank discovered that they required two ID's with my current address on them.

I searched all thru my wallet and couldn't find a second acceptable ID except my permit. I almost left but thought the hassle was too much.

The bank rep looked at my permit and asked me how hard it was to get one since he was thinking about it.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I have carried ever since the Texas law went into effect; been pulled over and been asked for credentials many times, and I have always been treated well and thanked for doing so by the LEOs. Most of the LEOs that have pulled me over or stopped me have been DPS troopers with a couple of Sheriffs deputies other times, and they have unanimously told me that they supported CCW by citizens as a means of reducing violent crime.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Once, many years ago, when carrying on a WA state permit. A buddy and I were walking (stumbling) home from a bar in Olympia, and a cop stopped us. He asked for our IDs - my buddy had his in a little "man-purse" nylon bag. When he unzipped the bag, a round of ammo fell out. Neither of us were carrying, but the officer asked if either of us had permits. We said we did, showed them, told him we weren't carrying and that we weren't driving, and that was that. No hassle, no rant, just a "be careful the rest of the way (about two blocks) home," and we were on our way.

The only other times have been since I've been an LEO, and I announce that fact (and the fact that I'm armed) at the beginning of any interaction with the police (and when going through airport security, and so on).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm asked often enough, but then again I go a lot of places armed most people dont go. It does suprise me that I can walk right into "secure" areas and no one stops or questions me.
    I guess that's part of why I keep seeing you opine that indeed, we are the ones ultimately responsible for our own safety, and that counting on the police to save our butts in time of need is laughable.

I'll bet that if the rest of the population knew and understood just how porous and useless most "security" is, they'd support CCW too.

In answer to the thread question, no, I have never been asked for my CCW credentials. Not even at a traffic stop; and I don't volunteer info on my CCW when stopped.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links