Everywhere I go...

This is a discussion on Everywhere I go... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everywhere I've been going lately, I've had numerous people asking about Concealed Weapons Permits, here in Arkansas it is known as a CHL or Concealed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everywhere I go...

Senior Moderator

Everywhere I go...

Everywhere I've been going lately, I've had numerous people asking about Concealed Weapons Permits, here in Arkansas it is known as a CHL or Concealed Handgun License.

The last several classes that we have had have been pretty full...anywhere from 40-55 people. I teach for the local gun club and we do it as a fund raising effort to keep the range up and running so that we can keep the dues to a minimum. We charge 50 bucks for the class, which I might add is the cheapest in the state, so we have students coming from every corner of the state. It works we ll for us as we make several thousand a year for the gun club. We have a dozen different instructors that we rotate in an out for various segments of the class each class using 3 or 4 so that we don't "burn" anyone out.

Besides that, I do private lessons for those that either don't want to attend a class with a bunch of people in it, or simply cant make the particular date of the class.

I have talked to various instructors from around the state and they are all saying the same thing...that what used to be a haphazard attendance has become a full class...and like us in many cases all that they can handle.

So...I am wondering out loud here...
    Is this a "local" thing or are people everywhere realizing that they need to get their permits?

I know that the fact that we really opened up our reciprocal rights with other states, being "officially" up to 27 right now, is a help as many people get them to travel.

I had a conversation with a gentlemen from Missouri that noted the same thing...it seems like a lot more people these days are interested in carrying guns.

So what do ya say? Has any one else noticed an increase in interest?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Yes i notice the same from people asking about them some i work with lots i dont

I recently attended a very good hand gun basics class. From what my firearms instructor was say during the break he's been quite busy lately. Our class had 8 people in it which is slot limit he set. When i get the money together i plan on attending his personal defense class.

I recently got into gun, and became interested in personal protection from my roommate who is a security guard. All these recent school shootings woke me up too.

When i finally got around to taking my class this spring here in Central AR, i had to get on a waiting list for the guy because he was full at the time (he only does 15 or so at a time). Where as when i was orignally going to do it when I turned 21 (years ago ) and just couldn't find time, i could of gotten in whenever I wanted.

Well I work with a guy that knows I own firearms and for the very first time he asked me what to do to purchase a firearm and to have someone teach him and his wife on how to use it.

I told him that I would help him out and even take them to the range and show them the ropes so he can get their CHL.

I'm just wondering why the sudden change in their attitude.

I teach in Oklahoma and clas size has been up for the last six or seven months. I think a lot of people afraid of the political climate and the world situation. Want more training as much if not more than the CCW.

I have talked with my friends, and we have come to an informal consensus:
    In general they feel the country is not getting better, the people in charge are not listening to the concerns of the population. New arrivals do not appear to be willing to adopt our ways, and some people in the community are finding force seems to work to get what they want.
    I personally have never had a problem, but do my colleagues see the future less threatening? The answer comes back a polite but firm, no.
    I personally do not encourage arming, but given what appears to be going on, it is a logical step to take, given the times we live in.

Class sizes are up in Central California too......
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

While I don't have any proof, I get the feeling that the pro-carry movement is picking up speed at the same time as the anti-gun movement is picking up speed.

Same with a number of other issues. It seems to me that we are polarizing and not in an overly constructive way.

Case in point. I can't find a single presidential candidate that seems to see the same way as I on my top two issues. Two issues for goodness sakes! And I'm not even talking about viable candidates...

Actually, it seems the whole world is going this way. Everything seems to be moving away from the center.

I sure hope I'm mistaken.

-john

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Are you, perhaps, wearing a t-shirt that says, "Ask me about how to get a Concealed Weapon License"?

Senior Moderator
    Are you, perhaps, wearing a t-shirt that says, "Ask me about how to get a Concealed Weapon License"?
    Nope. Its a small town. My wife has been teaching here for 30 years.Her students know me and have seen her pictures on the wall. We go to one of the biggest churches in town. Both her Moms family and Dads family were some of the original settlers here.Both sides of her family are huge...8 on one side ad 10 on the other. Her family is full of Preachers,various political figures such as a recent Senator,a County Judge, School Board members and teachers. She is related to half of the town. She went to school with the current Mayor and had his kids in class.
    I am well known enough that I cant go anywhere without being noticed. I am the Training Coordinator for my gun club which has close to 400 family's in it. The Sheriff,District Judge and city Police Chief have all eaten in my home and on my deck.My sister and I went shopping one time and by the time I got home my wife had heard that I had a "girlfriend" that I was seen with.

Need I go on ?

If I ever run afoul of the law and have to run I'm in serious trouble.

Life in a small town I guess...that and my smiling face...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I've noticed it as well. Even being in a big "gun" state like Arizona. A lot of people here have guns, but just going to the local range, I've noticed they have added two days of classes and they're now closing half the lanes because of the classes. They're not all 40+ people, either. The rangemaster was saying he's been seeing a LOT more college age kids and a lot more women coming in and asking about the classes.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Moderator
    Same here. We had several kids still in college at the last class. That was a first.

Usually about the youngest we would see would be 30 something.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Well, after talking to a few custom holster makers I'd say that the whole field of legal concealed carry is really catching on! In the last year business has really taken an upswing for them.

While few know I carry I have steered several people down the path to getting some training and their permit in the last year after they made the right noises. I find that many more people are starting to want to be able to defend themselves.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

The latest CCW class at our small gun club had 40 people enrolled.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links