Unlicensed Carry In Las Vegas, Nv

This is a discussion on Unlicensed Carry In Las Vegas, Nv within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been having trouble finding info on the Unlicensed Carry of a firearm in Las Vegas and North Las Vegas, NV. Any help would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have been having trouble finding info on the Unlicensed Carry of a firearm in Las Vegas and North Las Vegas, NV. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

VIP Member
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Open carry is legal, but I don't advise it, as the cops will have a tendency to get a bit antsy seeing it, and should some know nothing citizen place a "man with a gun" call, you may end up eating concrete.
    Now, after you get up, and explain yourself, you should be fine.
    But, to me it isn't worth it.
    As of October 1st, Nevada extends reciprocity to those with CCW permits from Alaska, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Tennessee and Utah.
    Finally, without a CCW you can carry a loaded weapon in your car concealed, except in Boulder City, and North Las Vegas (North Las Vegas is a separate city that starts just north of the downtown area).
    Another good site ob Nevada carry (though it hasn't yet added the states that have received reciprocity) is the NSRPA site, at
    http://www.nsrpa.us/legal/nevlocal.html Hope this helps.

Administrator
    Wikipedia (source)

Nevada law does not require registration of rifles, however, handgun owners resident in Clark County must register their weapons with Clark county - Las Vegas Police Dept. ( excluding Boulder City ). Concealed carry is not permitted without a CCW permit issued by the counties. A person must take a class to receive the CCW concealed carry permit and must qualify by demonstrating use of the exact model handgun that the person will carry.

Right-To-Carry Law Type: Shall Issue Nevada has an open carry law that permits a person to carry a handgun in plain view, however, there are exceptions. For instance, Clark County requires you to have a registration to open carry, and you must carry your registration with you when you are carrying a gun. Some cities such as North Las Vegas and Boulder City have "deadly weapon" laws, and you could be cited or arrested if you pass through their jurisdictions with a firearm in your vehicle. The make model and caliber of each firearm to be listed on the permit is also required. An individual may have up to 15 firearms on one permit.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

This link is current, interactive map confirms "Squawkers" reciprocity info.

http://www.nevadacarry.com/index.php...id=41&Itemid=2
    Last edited by Dolphin; October 24th, 2007 at 03:44 AM. Reason: corrected link

If you have a gun on you make sure your “blue card” is with you. As stated above, Clark is the only county in Nevada that requires hand guns to be registered. I laminated mine and keep them in my wallet.

How do you all interpret this: NRS 200.120 “Justifiable homicide” defined. Justifiable homicide is the killing of a human being in necessary self-defense, or in defense of habitation, property or person, against one who manifestly intends, or endeavors, by violence or surprise, to commit a felony, or against any person or persons who manifestly intend and endeavor, in a violent, riotous, tumultuous or surreptitious manner, to enter the habitation of another for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence to any person dwelling or being therein.

[1911 C&P § 129; RL § 6394; NCL § 10076]—(NRS A 1983, 518)

If you take it word by word it's actually not ambiguous at all. When you first start reading legal jargon it can be disconcerting.

Don't be killin' anybody who don't seriously need killin'.

Easy!

:)

--Travis--

The biggie with Nevada and about 12 other states is:

Demonstrates competence with each handgun by presenting a certificate or other documentation to the sheriff which shows that he/she

(1) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety approved by a sheriff in this State; or
    (2) Successfully completed a course in firearm safety offered by a federal, state or local law enforcement agency, community college, university or national organization that certifies instructors in firearm safety.

Such a course must include instruction in the use of EACH firearm to which the application pertains and in the laws of this State relating to the use of a firearm.

Back in the mid 80s when Florida first came out with the CCL, it had a requirement for marksmanship, but you did not need to qualify with each handgun. Florida dropped that part, so it could have reciprocity agreements with the other states who did not.

Unless they wish to get an CCL, retired LEOs and Federal Agents who wish to under the federal law carry a handgun are also required to pass a firearms proficiency annually with each handgun they wish to carry.

Took my CCW class yesterday and should be legal to carry in 30-45 days

Did you go get your fingerprinting done?

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    Took my CCW class yesterday and should be legal to carry in 30-45 days
    Uh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Clark County has a tendency to use every bit of the 120 days that they are allowed by law to issue the permit. In fact, I've heard horror stories of them taking even longer, and thumbing their noses at the Nevada Revised Statutes. I considered myself lucky when I got mine last year in only 90 days. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, but don't get your hopes up. You will get it, but they drag things out. As an example, while it took 90 days to receive it, my permit states that it was issued only days after I submitted the application. So, best of luck.

I think Bill Young was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    Finally, without a CCW you can carry a loaded weapon in your car concealed, except in Boulder City, and North Las Vegas
    Is it legal to carry an unloaded firearm (pistol) in the car (in the trunk)? I'm guessing it is, but I want to make sure. I live in AZ. I'm driving up to Hoover Dam, then over to the Grand Canyon. I have my AZ CCW, and I definitely want to have my pistol with me. I plan on unloading it and putting it in a case in the trunk before I drive out of AZ. I've heard they randomly check vehicles at Hoover Dam, so I don't want to have any problems.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links