Good FoxNews Article on SCCC empty holster protest

This is a discussion on Good FoxNews Article on SCCC empty holster protest within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304806,00.html Students Strap On Empty Holsters to Protest Gun Restrictions on Campus Wednesday, October 24, 2007 By Melissa Underwood College students across the country have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good FoxNews Article on SCCC empty holster protest

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

Good FoxNews Article on SCCC empty holster protest

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304806,00.html

Students Strap On Empty Holsters to Protest Gun Restrictions on Campus
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007

By Melissa Underwood

College students across the country have been strapping empty holsters around their waists this week to protest laws that prohibit concealed weapons on campus, citing concerns over campus shootings.

"People who would otherwise be able to defend themselves are left defenseless when on campus," said Ethan Bratt, a graduate student wearing an empty holster this week on the campus of Seattle Pacific University.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, a group of college students, parents and citizens who organized after the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech University in April, launched the protest.

A national debate over gun laws on campus began in the wake of those shootings, in which a deranged student killed 32 people in a classroom building before committing suicide. It was the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

Campuses are prime targets for people intent on harming others because laws prohibit concealed weapons there, Bratt said.

But others believe college is no place for firearms.

"You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

When someone pulls out a gun and starts firing in a crowded environment, it's more likely that additional victims will be harmed, Hamm said.

"Let's be grateful that those holsters are empty," he said.

Click here to visit the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Web site.

Click here to visit the Brady Center's Web site.

A group of 12 students chose to wear empty holsters to class this week at the University of Idaho as part of the nationwide protest.

Aled Baker, a junior, said he loses his constitutional right to protect himself and others when he steps on campus.

"It's null and void when you go on campus," the mechanical engineering student said.

Baker, a sportsman and hunter, has a license to carry a concealed handgun and hopes the protest will get people talking about the issue.

University policies nationwide prohibit carrying concealed handguns on campuses.

"We do not allow weapons on campus for the safety and security of our student body and faculty," said Tracy Schario, spokeswoman for George Washington University in Washington, D.C.

Justin Turner, a senior in criminology and history at Florida State University, also wants the ability to carry a concealed handgun on campus.

"I'm hoping that people actually realize that this is something that college students are serious about moving forward and realize that it's not about taking the law into your own hands; it's about taking personal responsibility for yourself," said Turner, chairman of the Florida State chapter of Students for the Second Amendment.

Congress is considering legislation that would tighten background checks and give states funding to submit information to a national database that would prevent guns from being sold to dangerous buyers. House lawmakers passed the legislation, but it remains in the Senate.

"It fixes the problem that the states are not submitting the necessary records of people who have been found by a court to be dangerously mentally ill," Hamm said.

Family members and survivors of the Virginia Tech shootings recently visited members of Congress to urge lawmakers to pass the legislation they believe could help prevent future tragedies.
    I'm glad to see this is getting national attention. I hope it sparks some serious debate.

This isn't a very understanding feel-good statement by the Brady's...

"You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school"
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    This isn't a very understanding feel-good statement by the Brady's...
    I said "WOW" after reading that part. Thats pathetic on Brady Bunch's side.

My solution to the Brady Bunch: If I am ever in the middle of a school shooting, I am going to grab a Brady supporter and use them as a humann shield, so they can see how it feels.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Drop Out of School?!

You've got to be kidding me!! I'm glad to hear this is going off well. I'd be wearing mine but I'm running internet classes.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I like the exposure that this event is getting. Bringing the issue up for public discussion is always a good thing.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    All Brady supporters should wear buttons that identify them. Be good to know who to hide behind.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    All Brady supporters should wear buttons that identify them. Be good to know who to hide behind.
    Yeah they make great human shields, after all they all are all drop outs, of society that is.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

How about Mr. Hamm,"You don't like the fact that I can carry a gun as guaranteed by the Second Amendment? You leave the country.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I've never known the Brady Campaign or Joyce Foundation Fake Grassroots Orgs as polite people.

"I hope your children die" or "I hope you get robbed and shot" is the type of reply I've heard more than once from gun control advocates. Even in polite conversation, they routinely call me a "schill" and other things far worse. I'd overlook this were it not for the fact that the experience is universal.

When the Brady Campaign said "... drop out of school." I'm sure they were straining for the most polite thing they could think of.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    How about Mr. Hamm,"You don't like the fact that I can carry a gun as guaranteed by the Second Amendment? You leave the country.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Funny how it's just peachy for them to stage protests, lobby Congress, spin incredible lies, and so on - for the express purpose of changing a law they don't like - but when SCCC tries to change a law (heck, not even a law in many cases, simply a "policy") they're told they can just "drop out" if they don't like it.

I wish the Brady Bunch would take their own advise - don't like the 2nd Amendment? Just "drop out" (i.e. shut up, take your concerns and stick 'em where the sun don't shine, and find somewhere else to live) and leave the rest of us in peace.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

******, i shoulda thought about that when they protested the army recruiters....

"you dont like ROTC? then you should drop outta school!!"

http://concealedcampus.org/index.htm

Third video down....you won't believe his stupidity.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

My father said the same thing as some of you. If you don't like our laws then leave the country. England doesn't allow guns, go have fun over there.

Don't forget about Utah colleges...

The article said:
    University policies nationwide prohibit carrying concealed handguns on campuses.
    While this is true in most states, it is not true in Utah. The state universities in Utah attempted to ban concealed handguns on campus, but were blocked by the Utah Legislature and State Supreme Court.

MSNBC article on concealed carry on Utah campuses

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Now if we could just get more locations to follow Utah's lead...
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links