"Thumps" in the night.

This is a discussion on "Thumps" in the night. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the middle of the night (last night) I heard two distinct thumps in the house. I was already awake so it wasn't a dream. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Thumps" in the night.

"Thumps" in the night.

In the middle of the night (last night) I heard two distinct thumps in the house. I was already awake so it wasn't a dream. But lying in bed I definately heard them. Although you may practice this scenario, it is a totally different atmosphere when doing it for real.
    I carry a Para .45 and have a S&W 686 .357 as a "house" gun. The Para was with me in my room but the S&W I keep in the basement. I have been meaning to put lasers on the S&W , but just haven't done this yet.
    Anyway, when I heard the thumps, I grabbed the Para and my Surefire G2. I immediately started going over in my head what I have been taught and what I have read. I stood at the top of the stairs for a minute to listen, but heard nothing. I went downstairs and searched the entire house and found nothing at all. Checked the doors and went back upstairs.
    I reflected on what happened and realized how much I want the Laser on my S&W. I feel that because of the low-light situation (even with a lamp on), it would be hard to acquire the sights.
    This is the first time since I have been carrying (7 years) that I actually had to draw my weapon for a possible real event.
    It's a whole different ballgame when this happens.
    Practice, practice and practice. Especially different scenarios that could happen. Even more importantly, get the proper training so you do NOT acquire bad habits or make unnecessary mistakes that could make you a victim.

2. Remove Ads

glad to hear all was ok. ever figure out what the thumps were????????
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Thanks for sharing. You are absolutely right about practice.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Anyone who hasn't repeated PRACTICED their own house-clearing drills & look-see walks around the property is begging for Murphy to move into the spare bedroom! The WRONG thing WILL happen at the worst POSSIBLE time...everytime, anytime, all the time. And anyone who thinks they're immuned to Murphy is a bull-goose looney. Be smart, be safe, be prepared! Glad everything turned-out okay. Thanks for the reminder.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    glad to hear all was ok. ever figure out what the thumps were????????
    Call T.A.P.S.! (aka Ghosthunters)
    But don't call the Ghost Whisperer. She might be busy!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

VIP Member
    KILLER CLOWNS!

I picked up a Streamlight TLR-2, it has a bright light with momentary on switching and a laser. It's pretty nice attached to my P-220 ST!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    OK, I gotta ask, how would a laser help you in this situation?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    KILLER CLOWNS!

I picked up a Streamlight TLR-2, it has a bright light with momentary on switching and a laser. It's pretty nice attached to my P-220 ST!

I too have the TLR-2. That light is one of the brightest I have seen for its size. I can illuminate a thug in a dark alley at over 600 feet with the TLR2. I had a few LEO's come over to the house after I got it and when they were done, they all decided they were going to get one.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

If one is positive there's a problem, call 9-1-1.
    Calling 9-1-1 where I live means a 45-60 minute wait at best. If the dawgs are a'growlin' & there's crow-bar sounds coming from the barn...then there's already a problem & I'm gearing-up & GOING to see what's happening. I'm not a rookie or a mall ninja. I'm a redneck farmer, ex-"never mind" type who'll not wait an hour for some ill-trained Deputy Sheriff to come save me. Thanks, but no thanks.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It's the CAT !! Lol ours likes to hang out in closets and when we close the closet door she waits until 2:00 AM to start hammering on the door.

VIP Member
    Clearing a structure alone is dangerous business. Even in your home where you have the advantage of knowing the lay out better than an intruder would, it is very easy to be on the losing end of a 1 on 1 CQB fight, even if you know what you're doing. The only way I'd do that is if my wife (or a child if/when we have one) was on the other end of the house and I needed to ensure her safety- and I've spent a ton of time training.

If you enter a door way and don't immediately see the BG, assume you're dead. If you have any T intersections in the structure, you're dead if you guess wrong. It is just a bad situation. Bunkering down and calling 911 is the best option if you have an intruder.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OK, I gotta ask, how would a laser help you in this situation?
    I have tried the Laser at my local gunshop. I was able to bring up the "dot" very fast, on target. I feel very comfortable using it. In the adrennaline rush of the moment, and the low light situation, I strongly feel that I could acquire the BG faster and more accurately than gun sights alone.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase2b View Post
    I have tried the Laser at my local gunshop. I was able to bring up the "dot" very fast, on target. I feel very comfortable using it. In the adrennaline rush of the moment, and the low light situation, I strongly feel that I could acquire the BG faster and more accurately than gun sights alone.
    OK... I dont want to hijack your thread.

Anyway, its an odd feeling clearing your own home.
    "Just blame Sixto"

One point I will make on room clearing. It is very, very difficult to do it by yourself. The whole object of clearing rooms safely is to have every major threat angle covered, either by your position or by having a gun pointed in the direction of the unknown threat. If you are by yourself it is impossible to lock down all of the possible threat angles.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

In "practicing" house safety. My GF and I agree that if we're in the bedroom and there is an intruder, to grab the cell and the nite-stand pistol and haul to the bathroom (because the only other entrance to that bathroom is a VERY small window), lock the door, call 9-1-1 and keep the pistol pointed at the door and notifying the operator about the pistol. And stay put.

If we just hear a sound, we still don't dismiss it and stay on alert with a pistol near us.

I cleared my house once and I was VERY lucky that nothing happened and promise that I will NEVER do that again. The paranoia is insane, you look into one room and your "spidey" senses convince that there is something under the bed, in the closet, behind the curtain, inside the pantry, anywhere. I am not a cop and so I leave it up to the cops to clear my house next time. I'll just warn them about my ferocious wiener dog .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links