National Naval Aviation Museum and CCW/weapon in vehicle.

This is a discussion on National Naval Aviation Museum and CCW/weapon in vehicle. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I go to Florida on vacation, I will usually stop at the museum at the Pensacola Naval Air Station. I have been asked at ...

Thread: National Naval Aviation Museum and CCW/weapon in vehicle.

National Naval Aviation Museum and CCW/weapon in vehicle.

When I go to Florida on vacation, I will usually stop at the museum at the Pensacola Naval Air Station. I have been asked at the gate if I had any weapons in the car and since I did not at the time, I answered no. What I was wondering is this: what would be the procedure if I did have a weapon in the vehicle, since now I would be carrying under reciprocity. Would I be denied entrance to the base, and thus denied entrance to the museum, since the museum is on the base, or would I be asked to surrender the weapon, etc? Just wondered if anyone has been through the experience.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

You can legally carry a firearm in your car in Florida, without any permit, provided it is in a secure holster and preferably in a glove box. I don't know the specifics of the statute.

Given that it is legal to have a gun in the car I would assume the gates deal with this regularly. Give them a call and ask yourself: 850-452-2453 (I think that's the right number).

Quote Originally Posted by dhbry232 View Post
    When I go to Florida on vacation, I will usually stop at the museum at the Pensacola Naval Air Station. I have been asked at the gate if I had any weapons in the car and since I did not at the time, I answered no. What I was wondering is this: what would be the procedure if I did have a weapon in the vehicle, since now I would be carrying under reciprocity. Would I be denied entrance to the base, and thus denied entrance to the museum, since the museum is on the base, or would I be asked to surrender the weapon, etc? Just wondered if anyone has been through the experience.

I'd say NO at a military base.
    -Biker

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I don't think you can carry on a military instilation but I could be wrong. I think it's a federal property so

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Federal property Laws of Florida do not apply.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

It's pretty standard - you can't take a handgun on to a US military base. Doesn't matter if you have a permit, or if it's unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk - it's "verboten". The base is federal property - state laws don't apply. Most bases have a "no firearms" sign posted.

Possible exceptions are for hunters to hunt on the base, but I'm sure they have to get that activity cleared before they show up at the gate.

They might just confiscate your handgun, or they could arrest you and take you to the brig. Best bet would be to call the base's "police" (Provost Marshal, Shore Patrol, etc.) and ask what happens if you bring a handgun on base...

You might just want to get a way to secure your handgun in your hotel room.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Thanks for the replies. I got a wild idea and googled the Naval Air Station for visitor information. Here is the post:

ALL VISITORS – All visitors are required to use the West Gate entrance located on Blue Angel Parkway. Visitors should be prepared to produce identification and be aware that your vehicle may be subject to inspection by Security Force personnel and/or Military Working Dogs.

Possession of concealed weapons aboard Naval Air Station Pensacola is prohibited under Federal Law. Violators will be arrested and weapons confiscated.

If you are traveling, we suggest you check with your hotel for safe deposit boxes or consider utilizing a temporary storage facility until you complete your visit. Naval personnel cannot accept weapons for safekeeping.

Due to the increased security posture, personnel should have their identification and drivers license readily available when entering naval facilities. This will expedite your entry and assist security personnel in keeping the traffic flow moving.

If you are stopped upon entry for an administrative inspection of your vehicle, follow the officer’s instructions.

So, if I want to visit the museum again, I will have to travel unarmed to get to it. We usually tour it on our way home from Destin, so locking up the weapon at a hotel is not usually an option. Thanks again for the help.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Leave it in your car ashore and take a taxi in to the museum.

Thanks, that's a great idea!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbry232 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I got a wild idea and googled the Naval Air Station for visitor information. Here is the post:
    <SNIP>
    That's pretty standard for any federal installation.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

yep....a no-go with the firearms.....but, you might be able to secure it at security.
    speaking of the museum...I was one of the young sailors (then....) who was a sideboy for the captain and Admiral for the grand opening back in the early '80's.
    I hear its a massive site now...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Links