Defensive Carry banner

You Never Know How People Will React

3K views 32 replies 33 participants last post by  Arkie 
#1 ·
As we permit holders carry our guns through a curious and conflicted world, we are forced to consider the reactions of others to the presence of our weapon. For most of us, concealed means concealed, but for one reason or another, the reach for something on the top shelf, the laws of the state, the tripping and falling or the failure of a holster, reveal our carry status to the world and we are forced to confront the reactions of others whether they be good or bad.

We hope for the good though too often we get confronted with the bad, and even the police.

Here in Virginia there is an ordinance that says one can not carry concealed into any establishment that serves alcohol for consumption. One must either leave his weapon at home or open carry. Neither of which are optimal choices for the individual resolved to defend himself.

Since we moved down here I have joined a writer's group and met two great ladies who offered their friendship to me. One is a reporter, the other is an editor. We all agreed to go out to lunch together today and it was determined that I would drive, one would choose the restaurant and the other would come along for the ride.

I picked the girls up and away we went to what my friend had described as a sandwich shop. I had not expected a sandwich shop to serve alcohol, but when I pulled into the driveway, I saw one of the signature beer neon signs in the window and knew I was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Either I try to disarm discreetly and lock my gun in the car safe or open carry for lunch. Either way, my new found friends (neither of which I had discussed guns with) would probably find out as it was pouring down rain and they wouldn't be getting out of the car until the last minute and they probably would wonder why I was sitting in the car and letting them stand in the pouring rain waiting for me.

So, I did the only thing I could think to do.

I turned around and said, "Well, I'm going to be straight with you. I carry a gun. And by Virginia law I have to carry it openly or not at all in any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption. I just didn't want you to be alarmed if I take off my sweater and you see a gun."

They both stared at me for about three seconds and then the editor said, "You know, I want to talk to you about that because I was really hoping to learn how to shoot and possibly get a permit myself."

The reporter smiled and said, "My dad and my brother both have their carry permits in Ohio. I'm fine with it."

I snuck into the restaurant doing one of the classic "concealing/open" carry methods we Virginians have discovered (i.e. draping your coat or sweater over your arm and therefore the gun). I sat in the corner with my gun side to the wall, and while leaving I walked against the wall to protect my gun from view. I honestly don't think that anyone saw it the whole time.

In fact, while we were leaving, my reporter friends said, "What kind of gun is that anyway? It looks really neat. I would like to tell my brother what it is."

We had some great conversation about guns and concealed weapons as well and both of the gals expressed interest in learning how to shoot. One talked about how much she's always wanted to go hunting and possibly get her permit to carry.

You never do know how people are going to react to the news that you have a gun, and when it's positive it's a pretty big relief.

I know there are people out there who preach the "never tell" method of carry, and that's fine, but I'm an open person and I probably would not have been able to keep my interest in firearms quiet for very long. Even if I didn't tell them I carried I would end up talking about guns anyway, and hopefully invite them to come shooting. This just broke the ice a little early and all turned out well.

Hopefully we may not only have two more shooters in the world soon, but possibly one, if not two more carriers as well.

See less See more
#33 ·
I think you may have found some new recruits. I'm glad that they didn't freak out and shun you for the whole time you were there.

Sometimes you just have to pry their eyes open to the real world and not the surgar coated la la land everyone sees.

Way to go Lima! :^)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.