Shooting while pregnant

Shooting while pregnant

This is a discussion on Shooting while pregnant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've heard different things about this from many different people. Can a woman shoot while pregnant? Or is it a pretty bad idea?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooting while pregnant

I've heard different things about this from many different people.

Can a woman shoot while pregnant? Or is it a pretty bad idea?
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Were these every day people or physicians? Interested to see what the internet forum has to say on this one. A little research will yield the results you seek though.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Not sure about the noise effect on the baby, but I'd probably shoot outdoors instead of breathing all the fumes at an indoor range. AND be sure to wash the hands good after shooting (like everyone should).

VIP Member
    An article written by people with a bunch of letters after their names that is supposed to mean they are smart.

http://gemini.tntech.edu/~cpardue/pregnant.html

You can always ask your doctor.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Moderator
    From what I've researched (and I've done some since I'm a woman and the chance is good pregnancy will happen one of these day) no, a pregnant woman should not shoot, and a good range would forbid it as well.

The pregnant woman's body treats lead like calcium and a pregnant woman's body is always sucking up calcium. Everything she eats or absorbs, so does her baby. A little lead poisoning for a 120 lbs woman is a LOT of lead poisoning for a 5 lbs baby.

Hence... BAD.

Also, the amniotic fluid around the baby acts like a big sound enhancer. A woman can wear ear protection... A baby can't. The baby's ears are starting to develop as early as 8 weeks. You don't want to damage them before he ever has a chance to hear anything with them.

Those seem to be the most serious concerns, but they are bad enough.

General opinion is DON'T DO IT. Wait, shoot airsoft guns, do dry fires and wait till after breast feeding is done, then shoot all you want ("you" being, of course, whoever is listening that might be pregnant)!

christmas party 89' ,the band strikes up with major drum solo, the wife bolts upright saying the boy just flipped . 2 days later he arrived quite abit early . also the daughter had to be wrapped in a blanket to sleep . seems light transfers into the womb as well .

why chance it? she gives up on smoking drinking walking sitting sleeping wearing dry pants whats one more thing to give up for awhile . LOL ladies LOL

good luck stay safe and congrats .
    elance

Shoot in self-defence? Yes.

Go to the range to practice? No.

Just another opinion,
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

Thumbs up Its not worth harming Junoir.

Quote Originally Posted by randy7601 View Post
    Shoot in self-defence? Yes.

Go to the range to practice? No.

Just another opinion,
    +1 why risk it? Just wait until baby is born to start going back to the range. (just watch out! Mommy has been out of practice for nine months..jk)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

My immediate reaction when I saw the title of this thread?
    (Shooting while pregnant)

No, don't do it. You could get TWO life sentences!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I do not think it is a good idea...it's only a short wait to get back to the range...hang in there and enjoy being waited on...at home by the hubby...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would not think it would be a good idea...it's only a short wait to get back to the range...hang in there and enjoy being waited on...at home by the hubby...
    Haha, I'm the hubby doing the waiting!

She has never shot a pistol, and now that one is in the house I would like her to learn...but judging from what all of you have said, it isn't a great idea.

Thanks guys
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

one more reason why im going to adopt

90% of gun training can be done in a dry fire situation.
    i would do that if i were u. its very important that she knows how to use it but firing it can wait until after.

VIP Member
    While she isn't a doctor- my wife is presently a med student- so she does know more about the body than the average person~ particularly me.

I'll avoid the bulk of the conversation we had about this issue and cut to the point. She said that when she is pregnant she does not intend to shoot like she does now. The noise and lead are both concerns, particularly if there is a great deal of exposure.

Of course she would shoot in self defense. She also said there is a chance she will head to the range and shoot a magazine or two when she starts to get pretty big, just so she knows what the changes in her body do to her basic abilities. She is undecided at the moment, but she did make a really big case for not shooting as recreation while pregnant.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Never hesitate in self-defense. You are defending yourself and the new child inside you.

But, there is no reason to risk your childs health by practicing. Have a little patience and wait, you will have plenty of time soon enough.

FWIW, my wife has waited to take her CCW class until after our second child was born. The reason is because the instructer holds his class in his reloading shop, and she didn't want to take the chance of lead exposure. It might be a little too cautious, but too cautious will always be better than endangering your unborn child.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links