My job or my life? - Page 3

My job or my life?

This is a discussion on My job or my life? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The comment about the company wanting sheep, not sheepdogs reminds me of the security folk we have where I work. It's a joke . I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My job or my life?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The comment about the company wanting sheep, not sheepdogs reminds me of the security folk we have where I work. It's a joke.

I work at a newspaper. The company employs "loss control" people, not "security" people, even though they get referred to as "security" now and then, and the sign in the building says "security."

The people who work the job, while nice, and friendly, are NOT the kind you would want defending you from any kind of threat in any manner, shape or form. They range from incredibly doltish to morbidly obese (literally). They are equipped with walkie-talkies, and they do the, "10-4, copy" thing in what is, to me, a laughable fashion, but they don't even carry flashlights as a rule.

I am friends with one of the guys, and we hang out after I get off at 2 a.m. sometimes and talk about movies and stuff. (I don't generally talk guns with him, nor CCW.) I have shown him my flashlights before, everything from my EDC Surefire E1L to my MiniMagLED 3AA to my MagLED 2D. Just the other night he was again marveling at how bright my MagLED 2D is (I have also told him that it's a "better than nothing" thing if someone belligerent were to come by). Has he obtained one for himself? No.

But last night he showed me this cheap chinese LED light he got at Pep Boys -- you know, it has like 12 LEDs in it and probably cost $7.99. He said that his supervisor saw it, liked it, and may requisition a supply of them for the staff. I mean, in the 10 years I've been there, I have never seen these "security" folk roving at night with flashlights. They drive expensive golf carts and have expensive walkie-talkies, but no lights. I should also mention that when they advertise for open positions, the ads specify, "an unarmed, proprietary security force with a focus on customer service."

Yeah, a focus on customer service to the exclusion of really being able to do anything besides call desperately for the police if something were to really go down. Wandering vagrants and drunks happen onto our property all the time. Frankly I'm surprised that one of our security personnel has never been hurt or killed. Police response time would probably be a couple of minutes, during the night where we are -- not a "long" time, but all the time in the world if some crazy popped up.

My friend seems to be a relatively alert guy, but apart from being observant, and concerned, he doesn't seem to have a defense-oriented mind at all, and has never seemed to be bothered about not having a defensive weapon of any sort. It occurs to me that it's a damned good thing that I provide for my own defense.

Quote Originally Posted by dralarms View Post
    You must be one big fella.
    oops yeah I am big but not that carried by 6. Although I knew a guy that required a fork lift when they buried him.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    oops yeah I am big but not that carried by 6. Although I knew a guy that required a fork lift when they buried him.

Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by gunflint View Post
    I'm looking at a possible job offer in California. This would be triple our combined income just for me.

You should also consider the cost of live is going to quadruple, which ruins the point of getting 3 times as much....

When I drove trucks, I carried. IF a bg had ever tried to steal the truck, I would have handed the keys over and if they threatened me or mine they would have been shot. Items can be replaced, you and the family can not. Just my point of view. I also know of several people that were robbed at the same company I was running for and although they had insurance the owners sued the drivers for being negligent and loosing the truck, trailer and cargo. I quit when I learned that.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    House and Senate already passed SCHIP- President vetoed and they couldn't get enough to override it. The House is trying to do it again, but they won't get any more votes than they did the first time. If the Senate passes it as well, it will just get vetoed again.
    Wait...It ain't over yet my friend. Kinda like the illegal vote the other day, it will resurface, and when we aren't looking, it will in some form sneak in. Bush is only there for a short period. Hillary, dem house and senate, there ya go babe..VOTE..
    Last edited by Scott; October 29th, 2007 at 07:28 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    Thanks for the support guys.I was planning on retiring on dec28 anyway.I am aready drawing social security,so I don't care if they fire me.I just have a couple of months to go.If they find out and say anything,I will just sing them the johnny paycheck song,You know the one I mean,take this job and. sj
    Way to go, I just retired after over 36 years on the job, but M not at the SS age yet.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Sounds like a flakey Security Company to me! Good Lord, the job you have SHOULD BE an armend position!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The reason they don't want you carrying is all about money. They don't want the $$$ liability if you do something wrong or stupid. Personally if I were in your shoes, to heck with their "risk". I'll protect myself.

Sarge,you are right,that is the exact reason they stated.I am sitting here getting ready to type up my retirement notice right now.It sure feels good too.sj

Quote Originally Posted by dralarms View Post
    Carry it, I would.

Master Yoda says, "Is good, your advice."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links