Going to Cozumel

This is a discussion on Going to Cozumel within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife & I were just given an all expense paid trip to Cozumel by our son and I was wondering about carrying my concealed ...

Thread: Going to Cozumel

Going to Cozumel

My wife & I were just given an all expense paid trip to Cozumel by our son and I was wondering about carrying my concealed weapon down there and then carrying it concealed after we arrive. I have gone through transporting a gun while flying already without incident here in the good ol'e USA, but I am now going to another country.

Has anyone had any experience with Cozumel and this issue. I would like to know the law and any of your experiences in such matters.

Thanks
    Mike
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

2. Remove Ads

Don't even think about it!

Possession of a firearm in Mexico will get you thrown in prison for a long time. In fact, possession of a very small pocket knife will get you thrown in jail. They have a whole different attitude towards gun down there.

I haven't been to Cozumel, but I've been to Playa Del Carmen, right across the water from Cozumel on mainland Mexico. No guns and no offensive knives. I carried a swiss army knife clipped onto my keyring.

What might work better is to carry a heavy SLR camera on a strap. Wrap the strap around your hand a time or two and let it dangle rather than carrying it over the shoulder. Use it like the proverbial "sock of quarters" when necessary. An expensive weapon, but one that won't be seen as a weapon until you need it.

Playa was pretty quiet and safe. We were there for a week and never had any problems at all.

Enjoy and drink a few marguaritas for us. :D

Chris

As in our usa an empty cartridge case will get you in the slammer. Think Los Angeles CA when you believe in doing something with a firearm.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

JT
    There have been several incidents of hunters ending up in Mexican prisions becuase they did not fill out the proper paperwork before attempting to cross the border.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Great way to get all the "Mexican sausage" you could handle. Don't know about the pocket-knife thing, down there. Since you can't fly with them anymore, I don't carry my Spydies, but, when we go to Cancun, I have spent $10 on a sturdy pocket folder, from el mercado. Hey, I'd rather be ransomed from the police than the Macheteros! :chairshot

Assistant Administrator
    Their draconian control on weapons will ensure that I never go down there. Wouldn't mind seeing the sights but - not on those terms.

Enjoy your trip tex - but take zero chances with weapon paraphenalia.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I have heard the horror stories of people that have gone down there with ammo or forgotten they had a gun in the trunk of their car. Whatever you do, don't carry anything in the way of a weapon into Mexico. I would suggest finding a store soon after arriving and barter for a bullwhip (common item made in Mexico and sold to tourists) and carry it in sack. You can cut someone to pieces with a bullwhip....
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I'd refrain from carrying anything in the configuration of a gun down in those parts. We want to see you come back, and not read about you in the news, as being "detained" for an uncertain amount of time in a Mexican jail.

Administrator

OUCH!!! ~ BACK & LEG PROBLEMS

Don't forget to take that cane with you...or buy a nice one there.
    A nice stout, solid, heavy one.
    It will help you "walk around" & see the sites.
    With The Bullwhip ~ The Camera & The Cane you should be able to do a respectable job of fending off a few BGs.
    Have a Good Safe Fun Trip.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Two words: DONT GO!

There have been a couple of good suggestions thus far...

My $0.02:
    Take a sturdy cane and a flashlight (impact weapon ) with you. These should do the job for you pretty well. If it was me, I'd buy a cheap knife from one of the numerous (and usually very annoying) street-vendors. However, since this is of questional legality at best I can't actually recommend this course of action. The camera thing is a pretty good idea also for a last resort weapon.
    I'd avoid the bull-whip unless you've really spent some time training with one (training in an SD context, not just popping it) otherwise you're probably not going to be able to use it to good effect. Flexible weapons are hard to master, I've trained with whips, nunchaku, etc. for years and still would prefer a more conventional weapon (like my .45 oh wait, we're talking about going to mexico... )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

With The Bullwhip ~ The Camera & The Cane you should be able to do a respectable job of fending off a few BGs.
    Looks like we've come up with a new martial art: Touristkata ;)

Chris

Cool

The times Iíve been to Los Cabos Iíve carried a large heavy metal pen (writing pen) itís a good legal stabbing weapon and a money belt. I also carry only my ID in a travel belt. The only stuff from my wallet that I carry is Drivers License, Visa card and a Passport when needed at the airport. Otherwise everything else stays home. Most hotels have in room safes which are secure. Also, donít trust the police (the locals will warn you of this). That being said I never felt threatened when walking the streets in Los Cabos even at night. Youíll get a feeling for an area of a city, if it doesnít feel right get out of there.

Livin in the woods....feelin mighty good!
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Red face

Don't take your gun and don't drink the water. If I were you I'd cash in my ticket and go to Hawaii. At least there you can drink the water.

Links