Sunday School = School?

This is a discussion on Sunday School = School? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if a Sunday School is legally considered a school (in Florida)? I can't find anything pertaining to it, but from my point ...

Thread: Sunday School = School?

Sunday School = School?

Does anyone know if a Sunday School is legally considered a school (in Florida)? I can't find anything pertaining to it, but from my point of view, it's no different than carrying in a place of worship, no? Any thoughts/links would be appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

alyehoud,

I am trying to get the same information.
    I am a pastor, and want to be legally armed on Sundays, as well as during the week ( we have a pre-school which also gets money from the state for Voluntary Pre-K).

I have talked to an attorney friend who is checking with a friend in Tally who is also a gun guy (NRA).

I'll let you know what I find out. (It's probably time for a follow-up phone call.)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

IMHO...a church 'Sunday school' would not be a problem for ccw. Now if you're talking about a pre-school that gets public funding, that would be a different problem....and probably doesn't take place on Sunday...
    I would classify Sunday schools like, cub scout meetings, and church art classes, etc. If you were only attending church and were not IN the sunday school...you are even further away from a problem. It is just another church group...

I'd wait for Mikl45's research...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm actually substitute teaching a class tomorrow at a small synagogue. It's in a good part of town, but it actually has had some attacks on it in the past. No one was ever present, but nevertheless. It's totally private and no public funding. I don't know what to do....

Please let me know for sure when you find out!

The state code should be pretty specific as to what it considers "school".

Administrator
    I would say that a Synagogue is a Synagogue and is a House Of Worship and would not be considered to be a school just because some classes are being taught there. In other words it's a Synagogue having classes.
    And if it's a private religious institution AKA not receiving any public funding then Fed, State, Local Govt would have no business dictating any firearm policy there. Just my best guess.
    Me personally - I would carry into any Synagogue or Church and would not think twice about it here in PA.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well, speaking as a school teacher in Florida I would think the standard would have to include the following: Are the Sunday School "teachers" certified by the State of Florida? Do they have to pass the state certification exams because even private school teachers must be certified if they want to be accredited. That brings up yet another point. Not accreditied? Probably not a "school."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

As a comparison, the bus regulations for our Christian school (kindergarten through 12th grade), which is an integral part of our church, are the same as for a public school. But we can transport Sunday School kids in ordinary busses legally. In this case, the State sees the two schools differently. I trust that it will be the case with guns as well. It had better: we carry at my church.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Opions being like noses everyone has one and everyone elses smell, I would say alyehoud is safe in the Synagogue but I am not so sure about Mikcolt in a state funded pre K school.

That being said I do carry to Church on Sundays and my church has a pre school monday thru friday. I would not carry to the church monday thru friday if I had a meeting in the preachers office.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I agree with all of you. I would think it isn't a "School". But, after reading Jon Gutmacher's book about FL gun laws, it turns out that generally there is no logic behind them and anything can go. I think it's worth the risk

Unfortunately, here in Ohio it doesn't matter. Both schools and churches, or houses of worship, are delineated in the law as places we can't carry. Well, we can carry in a church if we get express permission from the leadership of the church. but that doesn't happen very often.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Well, we can carry in a church if we get express permission from the leadership of the church. but that doesn't happen very often.
    My pastor carries. Maybe you should shop around

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Opions being like noses everyone has one and everyone elses smell, I would say alyehoud is safe in the Synagogue but I am not so sure about Mikcolt in a state funded pre K school.

That being said I do carry to Church on Sundays and my church has a pre school monday thru friday. I would not carry to the church monday thru friday if I had a meeting in the preachers office.
    My opinion is that I can carry anywhere and everywhere I want. Reality is that carrying a weapon in some of those places, according to FL law, will get me arrested.

Some states explicitly outlaw carry in church; some (maybe most?) outlaw carry at private/religious schools; FL law is very vague. That is why I am trying to get an actual legal opinion from an attorney who knows more than I about this issue.

Let's feel free to banter this around, but in 2 conversations with lawyers and one with Risk Management I don't yet have anything definitive.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Links