Am I breaking the law having my gun in the car?

This is a discussion on Am I breaking the law having my gun in the car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the state of FL, before I get my CCW permit, am I able to have my gun in the car legally? Of course it ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I breaking the law having my gun in the car?

In the state of FL, before I get my CCW permit, am I able to have my gun in the car legally? Of course it wouldn't be in plain sight, but is it something I would have to inform an officer of If I was ever pulled over for any reason?

Loaded???????????????
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Either or, I'm guessing there are certain requirements? Such as having some sort of cable lock through the barrel, or along those lines?
    I'd rather be loaded, but I wouldn't mind having a few mags loaded, not in the gun.

Administrator
    Florida ~ Wikipedia (source)

Vehicle carry without a permit is allowed either in a snapped holster in plain view, or when the firearm is concealed if the firearm is "securely encased". (Note: this legal condition is not the same as "encased securely.")
    Vehicle carry without a permit is permitted when concealed even if it is not "securely encased" if the firearm is not "readily accessible."
    Vehicle carry on one's person inside a vehicle without a permit is not allowed.

So that means until I have my CCW Its ok to have it loaded in the glove box or center console. Am I required to notify an officer if I were to be pulled over?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    In my honest opinion - you are playing with fire.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    X2... IMHO... WAIT!!!!!
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Yup. Easily accessible is subjective... but I think most would agree that the glove-box is "easily accessible" by anyone's definition.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

In the state of Florida it is legal to have the firearm in the glove box
    or center console. Or inside a zippered pouch or latched box....

John!

Quote Originally Posted by johns961 View Post
    In the state of Florida it is legal to have the firearm in the glove box
    or center console. Or inside a zippered pouch or latched box....

John!
    Yep!...This is in accordance with FL law, and you are well within your legal rights to do so...just do not have it on your person without a permit...the glove box or center console does not have to be locked!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    +1 with ret. Do get your CCW and avoid all hassles.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Maybe in Oregon ;-) but in good ole' Florida anyone who can legally own a pistol can carry one in their car as long as it is properly secured.

So come on everyone, join the bandwagon and move to Florida like the rest of the country! Pretty soon I and the three other remaining natives are gonna go to Key West and secceed along with all the other loonies in the Conch Republic!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Florida ~ Wikipedia (source)

Vehicle carry without a permit is allowed either in a snapped holster in plain view, or when the firearm is concealed if the firearm is "securely encased".
    I am pretty sure that in a holster "in plain view" is NOT true in FL. Yes, it may be in a snapped holster (and therefore securely encased), let's say under the seat, but in plain view, no.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; October 28th, 2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: unclear sentence
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...790/ch0790.htm

From Florida Statute 790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

From Florida Statute 790.001 Definitions....

(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

As to the question of whether the gun can be loaded or not--I don't think an unloaded gun would be of much use for self-defense. Before I got my CWL I always had a loaded weapon in the glove compartment--LEGALLY!
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamisou View Post
    In the state of FL, before I get my CCW permit, am I able to have my gun in the car legally? Of course it wouldn't be in plain sight, but is it something I would have to inform an officer of If I was ever pulled over for any reason?
    FROM THE FLORIDA STATUTES:

Fla. Law

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links