Defensive Carry banner

Hug free zone

4K views 49 replies 47 participants last post by  Tenacious1 
#1 ·
Yes, I know it's funny...
But shortly I will have a CCW, and I really do not want anyone to know I carry (The wife will be getting hers as well). How do I politely tell my overly friendly friends that hugs are now out of bounds?
Also the other siuation is at manditory family reunions where hugs are (almost) required? I can control the reunions, but my major concern is the 'random' hug.
I plan on carrying IWB but the Glock is not form fitting even with a
38" waist.
I know this post is ripe for 'great humor', but I am really serious about this...

GBS

#3 ·
The old solution is for you to initiate the hug and make it low. Not 100% effective though.

#5 ·
My husband and I practice the random hug thing so he is able to immediately transfer the oncoming hug to the opposite side from his carry.

It would be very awkward for you to tell friends who have always hugged you in the past that they may no longer hug you....

#8 ·
My gf's sister got married this weekend.. it was all touchy feely. Normally I carry IWB, but being in a monkey suit I went SOB. Only one person, who is a practicer of an alternate lifestlye noticed.

When I carry IWB and someone goes for a hug, I turn slightly away from them if I don't really know the person. If it is one of my dear friends, or even my gf, they are all aware of the fact that I carry, as a few of them do as well. I'm not worried if someone I know (personally) knows I have a weapon.

As stated a handshake is a great way to avoid a hug..

#10 ·
Eat LOTS of garlic...breathe heavily...hugs won't be a problem...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

In reality...just keep your arms low...

#11 ·
Eat LOTS of garlic...breathe heavily...hugs won't be a problem...:rofl::rofl::rofl:
It doesn't work on mediterranean families! We eat garlic cloves like they were M&Ms. :rofl::rofl:

#13 ·
I would not worry about anyone I would hug, or that would hug me knowing that I carry. Most know anyway, the others would understand because of our loving relationship.

Best regards,

Jim

#14 ·
Yeah, there's no way you can suddenly stop hugging especially your family! :duh:

Go low usually works but be ready for that hand to slide down! :gah:
I find slightly turning your gun side away helps a little too.

#15 ·
Don't forget that most people will just assume its a cell phone/PDA/some other thing on your belt. Unless they get under your cover garment and touch cold metal they're likely to remain oblivious even if they do feel it.

#17 ·
Start coughing...loudly...make your eyes water. Talk about how you are sick and how you don't want them to catch it. Stick your finger down your throat to vomit if you have to show some other symptoms. :image035:

I'm anti hugging and handshaking regardless...who needs the unwanted germs...so I'm pretty good at this technique. :rofl:

#18 ·
Luckily, I'm not a hugging type of person. If you aren't my wife or my mom, you shouldn't be hugging me under any circumstances. Since I was a little kid I was just uncomfortable with people I don't know well being that close to me. (Of course, the list was longer in those days- but not much!) When I started carrying it wasn't much of an issue because people knew that wasn't my thing. I never knew how lucky I was to not be a hugger until I started reading the forums.

#19 ·
There are not that many people that are the "huggy" type around me. The few of them know I have firearms, so for them to feel it on me wouldn't be a "discovery" to them. These are people that I have been shooting with in the past and are pretty much the closest of my friends and family.

If someone I hardly know tries to hug me, I back off weather I'm packing or not.

#22 ·
I don't worry about it. I shoot for low but it's not like I am doing anything wrong if I get discovered. If there is anyone that I really wouldn't want knowing that I carry, they aren't on my hug list.

#23 ·
I was at a reunion once and my sister hugged me. I was wearing a around the waist with a Sig 232. She didn't feel the pistol but she noticed the waist band holster and thought it was funny I was wearing a girdle...so I went with it.

#24 ·
My son works in a healthcare environment, so he could get hugged anytime, by patients, nurses, family, etc. Working in that situation he could be in the middle of a hug before he knows it, and it would be improper for him to avoid/deter the oncoming hug. In his work environment, especially with semi-strangers, it would be very awkward for them to discover his ccw. His best solution is a pocket gun at work, certainly not the best ccw, but a solution good enough to work well for him. Any other time, away from work, he has his 1911. :smile:

#26 ·
Some solutions:

1) "Just go low." (Haven't heard that before in this thread!) :wink:

2) Turn a handshake into a hug -- reach for a handshake, then pull them into a hug. That pretty well forces them to hug you high on the shoulder on your strong side, makes it really unlikely they'll reach lower toward your hip. If you're a lefty, it's even better because you're absolutely controlling the hand they would put on your gun.

3) The sideways hug -- at the last second, swivel your gun side away from them and hug side to side rather than nose-on.

4) Carry something. Doesn't matter what: a small child, a Bible, a purse or man-purse, a bottle of wine, a book. Carry it in your strong hand during the initial hug-fest (eg, have it in your hand coming up to the door to visit, or pick it up when the doorbell rings). This does two things -- it naturally forces a sideways hug, and it explains any odd lumps or bumps the other person might feel.

5) Desperately don't want a hug at all? Fake a sneeze into your hands, then excuse yourself to go blow your nose. Nobody will hug you after that.

pax

#27 ·
It can be simply a matter of method. Say you are packing on the right side, IWB. Go in with right arm low, to ensure that the person's left arm goes above yours. You simply guide the "risky" hand high. With a little practice, it isn't even noticed. Gotta be quick with certain folks, though, as they are waist-ies every time. Anyway. That's one option, instead of the don't-touch-me route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.