Looking for help on CT CCW Laws

This is a discussion on Looking for help on CT CCW Laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have a link to CT CCW laws? I found the stuff on handgunlaw.us, but I am looking for a listing of places that are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help on CT CCW Laws

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Looking for help on CT CCW Laws

Anyone have a link to CT CCW laws? I found the stuff on handgunlaw.us, but I am looking for a listing of places that are off-limits, etc. I have heard from several other permittee's in the state that any place that serves alcohol is off limits, but I want to make sure.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Hope this helps NRA-ILA & BATF
    Last edited by mrreynolds; October 29th, 2007 at 03:24 AM.

No, bars are not off limits. Being intoxicated is. The only state-wide off limits is court houses and schools. I wouldn't believe the "it's ok at a school with a permit" crowd. That is a grey area I'm not going to chance.

Handgunlaw.us is good. You may also try this http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/CTSL.pdf
    or
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/st...onnecticut.pdf

In general CT is pretty easy. Just keep it concealed. If someone sees it you WILL be harased or arrested. Technically, CT permit is a carry and not a concealed permit but there are a lot of people that will freak out and call the cops on you. Then you will be charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, etc.

Talk to your local cop. The one that handles the permits will help you with what they are concerned with. This may not be the law, but how they interpret it. At least you will have an understanding of what they think. The Sgt. that issued my permit told me flat out, "don't let it been seen". He also gave me his card and said to call him anytime I had a question. Hopefully your local will be friendly also.
    -Biker

So when I look at the state statute concerning schools, it states:

Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the otherwise lawful possession of a firearm (1) by a person for use in a program approved by school officials in or on such school property or at such school-sponsored activity, (2) by a person in accordance with an agreement entered into between school officials and such person or such person's employer, (3) by a peace officer, as defined in subdivision (9) of section 53a-3, while engaged in the performance of such peace officer's official duties, or (4) by a person while traversing such school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or for other lawful purposes, provided such firearm is not loaded and the entry on such school property is permitted by the local or regional board of education.

(c) Possession of a weapon on school grounds is a class D felony.

The statement that discusses public or private elementary or secondary school. How is secondary school usually defined, just high school? Basically I am asking if it is lawful to carry on the UConn campus? My kid goes to school up there, and we go to visit quite often.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

"Secondary school is a term used to describe an institution where the final stage of compulsory schooling, known as secondary education, takes place. It follows on from primary or elementary education. There are many different types of secondary school and the terminology used varies around the world. Children usually transfer to secondary school between the ages of 11 and 14, and finish between the ages of 16 and 18, though there is considerable variation from country to country. In North America the term high school is often used as a synonym for secondary school."

There is no law specifically outlawing UCONN in CT. I would use discretion however, like my previous statelment.

IANAL, so this is my intrepretation, take with a grain of salt. Try contacting Attn. Ralph Sherman, he's on the net. He deals with CT handgun laws and is very willing to answer emails.
    -Biker

I second the suggestion Ralph Sherman. Very knowledgeable guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Try contacting Attn. Ralph Sherman, he's on the net. He deals with CT handgun laws and is very willing to answer emails.
    Really? When I contacted him by email, he told me for $200 he'd answer any firearm related questions I had for ONE hour. Sounds like he's charging for advice now. The only question I asked him was if I needed to pay him a "retainer" or could I simply call him as "my lawyer" if I had an incident. Never got an answer other than the $200 bit.

I don't live in CT anymore , but here's a link to the Bureau of Firearms and Permit Examiners. They issue the permits and there a link to CT laws in the upper left hand corner.

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254180&bfpeNav=|

I REALLY didn't like the answer to this FAQ listed below.

"Q37. Does my permit to carry pistols and revolvers permit me to carry a handgun anywhere, anytime?

A. No. Mature judgment dictates that no handgun be carried unless carrying the gun at the time and place involved is prudent and proper in the circumstances. For example, handguns should not be carried:

1. Into a bar or other place where alcohol is being consumed.

2. In any situation involving stress such as an argument.

3. After consuming alcohol or any drugs other than those legally prescribed.

4. In any building where either State Senate or State House of Representatives is located, or in which the office of any legislator, employee, or committee is located, or where a committee of the State Legislature is holding a meeting.

5. Any building residential or commercial whose owner prohibits handguns."

Who determines "mature judgement" and how concrete is a "should not be carried" answer? Too subjective to determine. And who defines "prudent and proper circumstances"? Church could be ok one day and not the next...

#2 says no carry in any situation involving stress. Um, isn't EVERY SINGLE time a firearm used for self-defense going to be a stressful situation? I understand not voluntarily entering into one, but arguments happen and what if the other party escalates?

#5: I never saw any place posted no guns allowed when I lived in CT. What defines the owner prohibiting firearms? How am I supposed to know about their policy if it isn't posted? We all know that if something happens in their store, etc, they'll say they have a no guns allowed policy.

Also, in CT, I never saw anywhere about a castle doctrine or "stand your ground" law. Has this changed or do you have to prove your innocence for defending yourself in your own home (think Cheshire), car, or out in public?

There's just too many ambiguities in the CT state laws and I'll bet they're worded that way on purpose as to be "bent" to whatever way the DA/prosecutor wants.

And they still have an AWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    No, bars are not off limits. Being intoxicated is.
    Red Alert! Red Alert! Some bad advice here. Again, from my previous post from a FAQ on the BPFE/CT.gov website...

Q37. Does my permit to carry pistols and revolvers permit me to carry a handgun anywhere, anytime?

A. No. Mature judgment dictates that no handgun be carried unless carrying the gun at the time and place involved is prudent and proper in the circumstances. For example, handguns should not be carried:

1. Into a bar or other place where alcohol is being consumed.

3. After consuming alcohol or any drugs other than those legally prescribed.

#1 seems pretty against bar carry although the "should not" part leaves it somewhat vague, but with the overbearing (and corrupt) CT Staties, I sure wouldn't chance it. This even leaves it vague enough to extend to an Applebee's or Chili's type restaurant because alcohol is still being consumed. I just carried in those types of restaurants anyway, but avoided the bar area.

#2 says after consuming alcohol...NOT "intoxicated". I take this to mean that any measurable amount in the bloodstream will get a person in deep trouble, should a CCW incident occur. Never got a good answer about what would happen if I knocked back a few at home. Would I still have the right to defend myself? Everyone in CT knows about the horrible Cheshire home invasion. I wondered what would have happened to the good Dr. had he had a few beers and blew those SOBs away...

Quote Originally Posted by covertfolder View Post
    Really? When I contacted him by email, he told me for $200 he'd answer any firearm related questions I had. Sounds like he's charging for advice now.
    Having met Attorney Sherman in a professional context, that is an entirely appropriate amount for a consultation fee give his experience in Connecticut firearms related issues.

"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade.", Abraham Lincoln.

Never got a good answer about what would happen if I knocked back a few at home. Would I still have the right to defend myself? Everyone in CT knows about the horrible Cheshire home invasion. I wondered what would have happened to the good Dr. had he had a few beers and blew those SOBs away...
    I know he would have gotten a hearty congratulations from me for ridding the world of two more scumbags.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    I know he would have gotten a hearty congratulations from me for ridding the world of two more scumbags.
    Yeah, but even in you knew the guy, you're not in his criminal and/or civil world o' hurt at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Having met Attorney Sherman in a professional context, that is an entirely appropriate amount for a consultation fee give his experience in Connecticut firearms related issues.

"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade.", Abraham Lincoln.
    I never said he shouldn't be compensated. I wasn't responding to you, either, but rather to another poster suggesting that Sherman readily answers emails, possibly implying that he provides advice that way. In my case, it took forever for him to respond to my basic question of what I needed to do to use his services should I need them. Could I just call at the time of the incident (number in cell phone) or did I need to pay a retainer fee? Never got a response after several follow up emails I sent. Doesn't seem like too much of a class act to me.

Nonetheless, had I ever needed a firearm related lawyer, I'd have probably called him anyway. Because he's good? Not in my eyes and I didn't know anything about him anyway. I'd call because he's just about the only game in town in the liberal infested, politically corrupt, over taxed decrepit state known as CT.

The only question I asked him was if I needed to pay him a "retainer" or could I simply call him as "my lawyer" if I had an incident.

Also, in CT, I never saw anywhere about a castle doctrine or "stand your ground" law. Has this changed or do you have to prove your innocence for defending yourself in your own home (think Cheshire), car, or out in public?

There's just too many ambiguities in the CT state laws and I'll bet they're worded that way on purpose as to be "bent" to whatever way the DA/prosecutor wants.

As to the retainer issue, retainers are based on the time and complexity of a matter.

A case involving the use of a firearm or another weapon with someone being injured or killed, even in self defense, is going to require a significant amount of money for attorney fees.

However; it does you very little good to "have someone on retainer" in case of a self defense use of force situation when you are going to do your best not to ever have one.

You are best served by having some sort of very safe mutual fund or other financial package that allows your money to grow and mature, which you can cash out if you determine you need a lawyer than give someone a check and say "I'll call you".

Find a lawyer (I'm right here... ) and pay for a consultation in which you can ask your questions about any issues you have and get the lawyer's contact information, and see to it he has yours. Update it every year when you call and say hi.

Find out from what you should expect if you are arrested after a use of force situation, how to get bonded out, what you should or should not say to the police...ectra.

Then, do your best to follow the advice you purchased and never need an attorney for anything to do with firearms ever again.

As to the castle doctrine in CT - Office of Legislative Research report 2007-R-0052.HTM deals with this issue.

If you want a copy, shoot me a PM or email link to sent it to you. I'd post it, but the state's system doesn't assign it its own web page so you need to get it through the search system on the OLR's website.

It's easy to understand.

As to the requirement to retreat, unless in your home or office, you have the requirement to retreat provided you can do so with complete safety.

You are not required to get shot in the back, but if the situation is one that can be defused with your leaving, then calling the police and resolving it in the aftermath of an arrest of the other party, that is preferred.

Use of force is not something the State's Attorney's Office likes to see unless their was no other reasonable option available to you.

Not in my eyes and I didn't know anything about him anyway. I'd call because he's just about the only game in town in the liberal infested, politically corrupt, over taxed decrepit state known as CT.
    Well, maybe his customer service isn't the best. I wouldn't know because I wasn't a client.

As to him being just about the only game in town...

Nope.

Quite a number of others just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    As to the requirement to retreat, unless in your home or office, you have the requirement to retreat provided you can do so with complete safety.

You are not required to get shot in the back, but if the situation is one that can be defused with your leaving, then calling the police and resolving it in the aftermath of an arrest of the other party, that is preferred.

Use of force is not something the State's Attorney's Office likes to see unless their was no other reasonable option available to you.
    That sounds ridiculous. So, if I were sitting downstairs watching a movie with my wife and someone smashes my sliding glass door in, I'm required to run upstairs and hide with no exit other than jumping out a window? Am I required to run up the first flight of stairs and out the front door...in the dead of winter...without a cell phone? Who determines the "complete safety" part and what standards do they use? In a scenario like this, I'm NEVER in complete safety. I'm not talking about some Bridgeport wasteoid knocking on my car window where I could drive off safely... Still, even then, I could still be shot through a window...so, never in "complete" safety...

Like I said, I'm sure glad I moved out of CT, but these issues need to be addressed for the poor remaining CT members here on this forum. I lived in a town right next door to Cheshire and even though that was before the Petit family home invasion, I always carried a firearm on my person (when dressed), even if it was something in the pocket...and I still do. Had/have a long arm ready to rock and roll if I need it, too.

Please PM me that link on "castle doctrine", or better yet, cut and paste the text into a post.

edited to add: Sorry for being rude and not thanking you for your information, Mitchell. In your honest opinion, why do you think the laws and the FAQs on the BPFE website are so vague in general? Do the prosecuting authorities really twist this into their favor since it seems so easy to do? I never had any personal issues in CT, but I also don't know much about defensive firearm case rulings in CT, either. I used to work in Bridgeport, which I'm sure you know is a pretty rough area, and I was always afraid of breaking down or getting jumped at a light, especially after dark. There was always groups of "ethnics" hanging out on the steps or corners of their projects. Unfortunately, I had to drive right through the projects as there wasn't another way to get to work. Only one road which dead ended at the sound. I wonder what would happen if I ever needed my firearm (which I technically couldn't carry per my employer). Never really knew the legality of signage either since I couldn't find anything. It was posted, but does that make it "legally binding" or would I have simply been violating a policy instead of a law?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links