Lots and lots of thinking. . .

This is a discussion on Lots and lots of thinking. . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I do think a lot and do worry way to much . I like to sit down at work, home, heck anywhere and say ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots and lots of thinking. . .

Lots and lots of thinking. . .

Well I do think a lot and do worry way to much . I like to sit down at work, home, heck anywhere and say what if this and that were to happin. So the other day I was at work and I was thinking man what if one day I was closing my store and someone was to rush the back door while I am leaving. Well. . .
    It was 8 pm (in Ohio) and I was closing my store. I always look around and make sure I don't see anything or anyone crazy. Every night I count my cash drawer, turn off the lights, double check everything is locked, hit my car alarm and the set the store alarm. I was walking out the back door and as soon as I tried to open it someone outside held it the door. I stepped back unholstered my gun and as soon as I went for the door I heard laughing that I have heard before. It was Papa John's managers having a smoke break. I know these guys pretty well and it was all fun and games for them. So before I went out the door I reholstered and walked out. For some reason they thought that pushing the door would be a good idea. I asked how did they know I was walking out. She said I heard your car alarm unlock.

So now my car alarm is hit while I am outside. So something so childish made me realize holy cow a bad guy could of thought the same thing and who knows how it would turn out. Thanks Papa John's managers.

Have you guys had anything like this happen to you?
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That's a good lesson regarding habits. Being too predictable and getting in to a routine.
    You never know who's watching. Applies to all of us with our "routines".
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed yes - patterns and predictability can well be bad for us. Bit like changing route home, changing time of going to store/bank etc. Keep 'em guessing.

They did you a favor I reckon despite the heart-stopping aspect
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Much better to learn the leson that way than the alternative! So far I have not had anything like that happen to me, and I hope I will be smart enough to learn from your lesson!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    Those guys might have helped you out by just joking around. Now you will vary your habits when leaving which will make it harder for someone to scope you out.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I watched a show last on jail guards, and how the criminals just sit and watch the guards habits and routines, ALL DAY LONG! Watching and learning.. Guess the same could apply to the outside prison world also.
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

I am a big believer in altering routines, especially routes to and from work sites and the so on. We may never know when and why we have become a target but I want to be the most unreliable target on earth.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Routine behavior can get you killed in too many situations. I alter my routine continuously.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I want to know if you have changed up how you exit the bldg now? Scary lesson, but a good lesson!

i have changed it up. there is only so much changing I can do. i for sure dont hit the alarm until i am outside and i can see wht or who is around me. i also leave the back light on so i can see better. i use to turn it off and it was pitch black. and i will change parkin around a lil bit.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Question: Why would you unlock your car door remotely prior to actually being at the car, and do so away from direct view of your car?
    How did that habit develop?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Glad it was a learning experence. Knowlege without bloodshed.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Question: Why would you unlock your car door remotely prior to actually being at the car, and do so away from direct view of your car?
    How did that habit develop?

- Janq
    That's exactly what came to my mind. Glad you learned it's a bad idea the easier way.

i have always did tht so tht i can get in my car and go. the back of the building doesn't have the best lighting. I don't want to stand or sit in my car any longer in tht lot that I have to.

Ricardo

Would it hurt at all, beside using maybe a dollars worth of electricity, by leaving that back light on all night? That way you would not have to venture out into the darkness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links