Dangerous CCW handling - Page 2

Dangerous CCW handling

This is a discussion on Dangerous CCW handling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would have excused myself and my wife and left....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous CCW handling

VIP Member
    I would have excused myself and my wife and left.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; October 30th, 2007 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Edited Language Workaround

Senior Moderator
    I had almost this EXACT same thing happen to me about a week ago (are you sure you don't live in VA?). A guy draw his carry gun, swept my chest and plopped it down on the counter top.

I did jump back and I did reach for my own gun, but neither of these things seemed to be a give away that I was uncomfortable having a gun pointed at me. I did eventually remind him that I (and probably others as well) did not appreciate having a loaded gun pointed at them and that he should be more courteous.

I don't mind people who want to talk about the fact that they carry a gun. And in good company it can bring out some extremely good conversation.

I was sitting with two people who were new to guns and learned that I carried a gun and were asking questions and wanted to see my gun. When I mentioned that no one who carries should ever pull out their gun in public, they looked at me kind of confused.

I said, "How would you two feel if I just pulled out my gun right now and plopped it on this table?"

Both expressed that it would make them very uncomfortable.

I said that even though guns should not be a taboo or frightening subject, there is still a level of responsibility that the carrier has to be safe and to consider the people around him.

Yeah, I can pull my gun out in front of my husband because he knows my level of knowledge with that gun and he knows I will be safe with it. If I pull my gun in front of a bunch of people who don't know me, I shouldn't be one but surprised when someone either screams or points another gun at me. I was rude and threatening and I deserve to be reprimanded for that action.

If you feel you need to disarm in front of someone, you should be as courteous as if you were asking to look in their refrigerator or use their bathroom. A simple, "Hey, do you mind if I unholster and clear my weapon?" Can go a long way to keep someone from freaking out.

You had every right to get upset at this idiot. You had every right to say something to him even if you didn't.

For sure, if you ever see this guy again a reminder to watch what he does with his gun would be, I think, appropriate.

I would have said something about him pointing a gun at me loaded OR unloaded...they are ALWAYS loaded...

I don't let that kind of behavior go...it's my life, and I want to keep it going for a while.

Sounds like a real idiot though...probably words of wisdom would have gone in one ear and out the other...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    More evidence people are STUPID!!!!!

In SC it is a felony if you bring a CCW into a home w/o the home owners permission. This guy is a jerk. There is enough anti gun people out there that would have a field day with this guy if anything happened. What if down the road one of his "friends" has a disagreement & gets pissed off enough and tells a LEO that he brandished his weapon. Now he got some explaining to do as he could have his CWP taken away. His friends have their friends and it only takes one person with an adjenda to start a problem. Don't know why you would advertise "carrying". I have a problem neighbor that if they knew I was carrying would make up a story. You folks getting my drift?

Point your's back... See how he likes it. Maybe he would learn his leason that way. Ok maybe that isn't the best way to handle the situation. You should of at least spoken up about it. Friends neighbor or not. I would rather be alive then care about wether a friend is mad at me or not.

Say what?? :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    In SC it is a felony if you bring a CCW into a home w/o the home owners permission. This guy is a jerk. There is enough anti gun people out there that would have a field day with this guy if anything happened. What if down the road one of his "friends" has a disagreement & gets pissed off enough and tells a LEO that he brandished his weapon. Now he got some explaining to do as he could have his CWP taken away. His friends have their friends and it only takes one person with an adjenda to start a problem. Don't know why you would advertise "carrying". I have a problem neighbor that if they knew I was carrying would make up a story. You folks getting my drift?
    Obviously it wasn't w/o the home owner's permission. They introduced him as "Pistol Packing _____". I wouldn't like it being illegal to bring a CCW into someone's home w/o permission. It's just better to "don't ask don't tell". If ppl knew some of the things others may have carried into their home they would freak out. How many off duty LEOs have carried into someone's home without asking. The only way I would be upset is if they were as stupid as this guy. It's just rude, dangerous, and un-professional. These type of stories will be the downfall of our CCW society.

The OP never stated that the idiot had a "permit", he only confirmed that the moron was carrying..seems to me that if he had a permit then he would have had the "basic" training in handling a weapon and would have been a little more responsible than he was..I suspect this was a "wannabe" who had a problem with his inferior scocial status and wanted to be the "MAN" just cause he had a gun. Do we know for a fact that he had a permit to carry?

It is amazing how many folks who own and even carry fireams and haven't a clue about safety. I am an NRA certified instructor and I would have had to enter the subject of safety with this guy. The first rule is point a gun in a safe direction at all times. I have heard of lots of guns firing when beiing cleared in the military when we had a barrel filled with sand to point guns into when clearing them. This was done by people who are famliar with firearms. Your pistol packer is scary.
    Last edited by Sam Douthit; October 30th, 2007 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Silence never teaches anyone, anything. Some people just dont know any better. And as a respectable permit holder, sometimes its our place to do a little teaching.
    "A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes"-Mark Twain

I'm reminded of a scary incident that happened a very long time ago.

I had an uncle I hadn't seen for several years. I decided to take the wife and our one year old daughter, our first child, out to visit. He lived way out in the boonies by himself. He was up in years and unfortunately had been an acoholic for a very long time. We get there and he is in bed where he stayed both day and night and was, as always, under the influence. I introduce the wife and we show him the baby and after about 15 minutes outta nowhere he opens the drawer next to the bed and pulls out a big revolver and is absently pointing it this way and that.

We both turned white and about thirty seconds later were out the door. I don't know if he was sober enough to chuckle about it or not but he sure scared the %^# out of us.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    What would you have done?
    I know, believe me, that the "right words" seem to never be within 100 miles of your mouth when you want them to be.

But I would hope to come out with something akin to, "You know, normally I am a big proponent--advocate, even--of concealed carry. But YOU, sir, just demonstrated to me that some people just lack the training, knowledge or maturity to do it safely. You just blatantly broke several basic gun safety rules that even a lot of kids know and obey. Thanks, folks, but I am outta here!

I'd take my stuff and go on home, without another word.

That guy is one special kind of idiot.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    My facetious action might have been to immediately turn the gun thru 180 to point at him ... as I sidestepped!!! I know - wrong, but tempting huh.
    OMG that's good!
    And add some dialog:
    "Do you like having a loaded gun pointed right at you by someone you don't know? Because I don't! Why don't you start again, and remember the rule of gun safety that says, 'Don't let the muzzle point at anything you would not willingly destroy.' "

If he gave the slightest objection or "aww, don't worry" I would call him a moron and leave in a huff.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    The OP never stated that the idiot had a "permit", he only confirmed that the moron was carrying..seems to me that if he had a permit then he would have had the "basic" training in handling a weapon and would have been a little more responsible than he was..I suspect this was a "wannabe" who had a problem with his inferior scocial status and wanted to be the "MAN" just cause he had a gun. Do we know for a fact that he had a permit to carry?
    He said he had a permit but, I didn't ask to see it. The gun he brandished was a Bersa Thunder 380, in case anyone was wondering.
    Oh yeah, I was unarmed. I notice that some have advised that I present mine in turn, which I would not do.

Talking

One thing I would not do would be to tell this idiot I was also armed. Anyone (save a learning child or newbie) careless with a weapon deserves approbation, not camaraderie.

Perhaps a possible assumption is that this person requires training, so I might say (after the weapon is safed). "Mind if I see that. Here, let me show you the proper way to handle this." Then field-strip it with the muzzle in a safe direction, talking incessantly about safe handling and the need for remembering "concealed is concealed."

Publicly embarrassing the (unarmed) man by considering him a newbie in need of a simple 4-rule NRA safety lesson may cause him to think twice before pointing a weapon anywhere again. Finally handing the still stripped weapon to him and asking him if he'd like to safely reholster in a safe place.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links