Dangerous CCW handling - Page 3

Dangerous CCW handling

This is a discussion on Dangerous CCW handling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hopefully this guys bravado was not alcohol enhanced. That could have resulted in a totally different outcome. Jack...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    JEC
    Hopefully this guys bravado was not alcohol enhanced. That could have resulted in a totally different outcome.

Jack

Hopefully you educated him on proper firearms handling.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I would have picked the gun up and cleared it as I would normaly do with any gun presented to me, unloaded the mag and pocketed the shells. then in front of his friends I would have instructed him in the proper handling of a firearm. I would have dropped the bullets in the trashcan on the way out the door. There are a lot of boneheads in this world, unfortunatly some carry a gun.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member
    I am very outspoken. I would have definitely said something. He literally put your life in danger. I wonder if this moron would have showed it to you even if you hadn't asked?

My response

In your situation I would have quickly moved out of the line of the gun's muzzle, and said "Don't ever point a loaded gun at me".

Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    One thing I would not do would be to tell this idiot I was also armed. Anyone (save a learning child or newbie) careless with a weapon deserves approbation, not camaraderie.

Perhaps a possible assumption is that this person requires training, so I might say (after the weapon is safed). "Mind if I see that. Here, let me show you the proper way to handle this." Then field-strip it with the muzzle in a safe direction, talking incessantly about safe handling and the need for remembering "concealed is concealed."

Publicly embarrassing the (unarmed) man by considering him a newbie in need of a simple 4-rule NRA safety lesson may cause him to think twice before pointing a weapon anywhere again. Finally handing the still stripped weapon to him and asking him if he'd like to safely reholster in a safe place.
    I guess I am always very hesitant about touching anyone else's gun without an invite, but I have, during occurrences like this, moved as quickly as an old fat man can away from muzzle direction, and made it plenty obvious what I was doing.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Several friends know I have a ccw permit. None of them know whether I'm actually carrying. If asked my only reply is, "I have a permit." Concealed means concealed.

This guy should have listen to his own advise and left it at that. I would never disclose my weapon to a stranger.

I think what I would have done as soon as he started to pull the weaponed out said, "No, please not here."

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    My facetious action might have been to immediately turn the gun thru 180 to point at him ... as I sidestepped!!! I know - wrong, but tempting huh.
    P95Carry has got it right for the most part. Others seemed to miss this part, and -- no -- it's not turning the gun back on the guy (which he is desirous of doing but probably wouldn't). The point harkens back to your condition, namely white for almost all posters. If you're living in orange, reflex should take over, and side-stepping the potential threat should be one of several possible actions. (The guy's lucky he didn't get his hand or arm nearly broken, which should be in all of our personal defense bag of tricks.)

Good response Flagflyfish, too.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    You didn't say whether or not he had a permit. It sounds like he was quick to show off his gun and the fact that he carried it. I get the impression from the folks on this forum that most of us don't want ANYONE to know that we carry or even have a CWP. If I had just met him and he pointed a gun at me, I would be hesitant to give him a good butt chewin'. I think I would have reach out and moved the gun so that it wasn't pointing at anyone and said, "Why don't we point this thing in a safer direction as opposed to pointing directly at my chest?" If he is a responsible gun owner, you will see a tidal wave of embarrassment wash over his face. If not, he will probably make some sort of condescending remark. That is your queue to get out to Dodge. People like that just canít be reasoned with.

It's difficult to make just the right decision when you are caught by surprise. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us so that won't be.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I'd do same as I've done at the range
    " if you point that gun at me again I'll shoot your sorry a&s."

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    This post would actually make a great "what if" scenario. When he reached under his shirt and pulled his gun, would you have been justified in shooting him? He was drawing his weapon and his intent was unknown. Clearly, you were at friends and it was a social situation, but you didn't know his level of sobriety nor his mind-set. If you felt your life was in danger, you could have possibly drawn and shot him to stop the perceived threat.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

i would have chewed him out for not safely handling a gun, i do not care who it is
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Flying ninja kick over the table connecting with his jaw and then a swift kickto his hind quarters.

I probable would have been stunned by his initial carelessness and then would have berated him in front of everyone else.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I would have moved out of the line of fire and asked him politely not to point his gun at me. As stated by many others his gun handling skills leave a lot to be desired and you can politely point this out. Get mad if he doesn't comply.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I tend to agree with havegunjoe, no reason not to keep it civil.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links