Dangerous CCW handling

This is a discussion on Dangerous CCW handling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the first thread I've started, even though I've been hanging around here for about a year. Anyway, Saturday night I was at a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous CCW handling

Dangerous CCW handling

This is the first thread I've started, even though I've been hanging around here for about a year.
    Anyway, Saturday night I was at a friends house sitting around the dining room table with our wifes when one of his neighbor/friends drops by. This guy sits down across from me and my friend introduces him as "pistol packin' __________". I shake his hand and think a minute about how to open a CCW conversation when I decide to just say "I guess your names means that you carry?". What happens next is what I couldn't believe. Instead of a "Yes", "No" or "You don't have a need to know", this guy reaches under his shirt and draws his gun and places it on the table in front of me with the barrel pointed straight at me. I flinched a bit when he decides to pick it back up, drop the magazine, and eject the round that was in the barrel. All this was done with the barrel pointed straight at me. Then he handed the gun to me to look at and that was the end of that.
    I know I probably should have said something but, this was a friend's neighbor/friend. What would you have done?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I hope u said somthing to him about it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well honestly neither you nor the forum would like to know my reaction to the post you described , since it would be much more personal satisfaction than education ill let it go ( remember i speak from having completed lindel , koga , and a few other schools of officer safety ) I will rather tho mention that this feller illistrated just the kind of ccw holder that we never want to be . If somone at a party wants to debate gun rights in any forum i am glad to discuss it , but my carry gun is not an issue , and as wound up as some get i know its not recognised either . Imho it only appears on dire need , just when i am ready to shoot someone ... other than that no one knows , nor should they , tho i will argue all night about what the 2nd means lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

glad to hear you made it thought that safely,i know id get out of there
    fast and not return anytime soon. but i would sure comment to your
    friend about pistol packing moron.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

at least said something to him in private and if privacy doesn't avail it'self, yep, i would have said something with everyone else there. the shame of poor gun handling with 4 other people (i'm guessing) around might put some sense into him.

Also, I would talk to your friend. He/she may want to reconsider allowing him to carry in their home.

the more i read it, the scarier it looks.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrat52 View Post
    this guy reaches under his shirt and draws his gun and places it on the table in front of me with the barrel pointed straight at me. I flinched a bit when he decides to pick it back up, drop the magazine, and eject the round that was in the barrel. All this was done with the barrel pointed straight at me. Then he handed the gun to me to look at and that was the end of that.

I know I probably should have said something but, this was a friend's neighbor/friend. What would you have done?
    What would I have done? I would have immediately gotten out the muzzle line. Especially when he picked it up and cleared it Were you frozen by his stupidity?

I would then recommend some gun safety training for him, if you ever see him again. And, tell your friends that having such poor gun handling practices in their home is unacceptable and very, very dangerous.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Wow - people's stupidity never ceases to amaze me. Glad you got out of there without incident. Not sure you can tell someone like that anything and be heard!! But at refresher course in safe gun handling is definitely needed, well that or a lobotomy!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

It all happened pretty fast and I'm not very jumpy (I know....being slow to react may cost me my life some day). Actually, I'm fairly passive natured. I didn't do anything but talk to my friend after it was over about how his neighbor needs training and needs to be told not to point his gun at people. My friends wife also gave him grief over it.

It just amazes me that there are careless folks like this carrying guns.

i agree with what everyone else says
    i would have gotten the outa the way and been like man!

I would have taken my wife by the hand and left.

VIP Member
    It's easy to say what I would have done after I sit here and think about it. Likely I would reply what I hoped I would do.

Just like any other training we do, I think a planned response to what you experienced is a very good idea because it seems to be happening too darn often!

But an immediate response is definitely called for!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

As I have stated before, this should not surprise you or others. The intelligence level of most folks who have firearms is not something I shout good things about from the highest mountain. I have seen this behavior from friends, LEO's and all other walks of life. There are those on this forum who exhibit the same behavior, but blame it on just learning and they won't make that mistake again. In my opinion, you should not make it in the first place, but that is another saga..Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You could have drawn your weapon and just sat their with it in your hand and pointed at him. After he he started to get fidgety and ask you why are you doing that you can explain to him that you only point a loaded weapon at someone with intent, not at of carelessness like him. Then tell him that you would appreciate the same courtesy and get up and leave.

But then, that might be going a little too far.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Assistant Administrator
    My facetious action might have been to immediately turn the gun thru 180 to point at him ... as I sidestepped!!! I know - wrong, but tempting huh.

I am well aware that gun/carry folks often enjoy discussion of choices but heck - not that way .. sheesh. Sounds like he is of the ''macho, gun-totin'' fraternity - all too keen to give his ego some exposure.

Sadly for us - it is way too common.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hindsight: What an asset!

One of the great things about this forum is the ability to learn - after the fact - from other peoples' real-life experiences.

I evaluate the "pistol packin' @#$%" as out of thee norm but obvioulsy not out of the question. Should I find myself in a future social setting where something similar happens I will have a better frame of reference for my response based on hearing all of your feed back - thanks.

JK

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links