Another "Why are people so bad with gun safety" Post.

Another "Why are people so bad with gun safety" Post.

This is a discussion on Another "Why are people so bad with gun safety" Post. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past weekend I went with a large group of people for an outing there were roughly 25-28 of us. Skeet shoot, rifle targets, handguns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Another "Why are people so bad with gun safety" Post.

This past weekend I went with a large group of people for an outing there were roughly 25-28 of us. Skeet shoot, rifle targets, handguns and everything in between that fires a projectile. During the skeet shoot all seemed well. All shotguns are laid on a table facing down range. Pick your gun up when you are next to shoot, load on the line. Then it got interesting.

First I noticed almost everyone was walking to the line with their finger on the trigger. Muzzle either pointed in the air or to the ground some swaying to the sides. I do not understand what is so hard about leaving your finger outside of the trigger guard. My finger does not touch my trigger until I am ready to shoot that clay. And what I mean is, finger is outside until clay is sighted, tracked and then my finger slips to the trigger and I pull, after the shot its right back outside. Now other than this there were not to many issues, just some people walking with slide forward in the staging zone.

Now on to the rifle and pistol time. I turned around quite a few times to see a barrel pointing at me. Some were even loaded and the person was racking the slide. I made it clear to people when they were putting my life in danger. The issue that scared me the most was a guy who had a jamming issue on his AR. He broke it down a few times for cleaning and when I turned around I had a muzzle pointed at my head, with the mag in and him racking the charging handle over and over and over again. What pissed me off even more was this same guy was quick to tell someone else they had a slide forward handgun in a staging area but fails to see his own issue. I almost got to the point where I was going to yell cease fire and have a nice chat with everyone about safety.

Honestly, is it that hard to understand you treat every gun like its loaded! Never point it at anything you don't want to hit and never have your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire!

Stay Safe.

so your like me .. in favor of gun control (i and i alone want control of guns around me).

when you see someone with obvious lack of judgement ,smack them in the back of the head with shotgun barrel . just a little wake-up call there friend , carry on , smack ! woops looks like you were dozing again .

if after repeated mind sets , they still don't get it time for you to git it .

yes this was mostly in jest ,but you will be suprized how much a shotgun barrel will make you think.

anyway stay safe

elance

That would be the last time I'd go shooting anything more deadly than rubber bands with that particular group of people. If they're your friends, they'll understand; if they're not, it doesn't matter.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

VIP Member
    Was it an organized event? Was anyone in charge of that group?

Somebody needs a talking to!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Moderator
    I was at our range exactly one time when there was a skeet shoot going on.

I'll never be anywhere on the property for another one. These folks have the mentality that once the breech is open, you can sweep every man, boy and dog on the line and it's perfectly OK.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    You didn't say rather these were friends or just a "group" of people that got together.
    I believe I would have left and told everyone why I was leaving. I have a large family and on holidays we get together and shoot. Some have only shot guns a few times. I amke sure everyone knows what and what not to do when I hand them a gun.

I ride motorcycles..have been for over 46 years...I ride by myself. I do not like to ride with those who I do not know. I have no idea of their skills and I do not need to be with those who have little or no skill that could endanger my life. I feel the same way abt shooting with strangers!

Assistant Administrator
    I was going to yell cease fire and have a nice chat with everyone about safety
    I honestly think sometimes this is a necessary deal. Depends tho on the folks present and most importantly, whether you are at least in part - an ''official'' RSO.

If the latter then I will call for all to go cold and go thru it all - and tough luck on those who are safe - they have to put up with the idiots being reminded.

My IDPA club is 100% strict. One muzzle sweep beyond the allowed 180 from firing point and it's ''goodbye ... go home!" As for gun handling elsewhere - that is only in designated safe areas - or else.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've said it befoore and have practiced it many times: learn to walk backwards and never miss an opportunity to leave. I do not want to be a gunshot victim and I do not want to be a witness if someone else is.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I honestly think sometimes this is a necessary deal. Depends tho on the folks present and most importantly, whether you are at least in part - an ''official'' RSO.

If the latter then I will call for all to go cold and go thru it all - and tough luck on those who are safe - they have to put up with the idiots being reminded.

My IDPA club is 100% strict. One muzzle sweep beyond the allowed 180 from firing point and it's ''goodbye ... go home!" As for gun handling elsewhere - that is only in designated safe areas - or else.
    I would also have called a "cease fire" and laid it on the line. The people who are being safe are surely noticing the unsafe activities just as you are and will appreciate someone speaking up. You don't necessarily need to identify an individual, just state that there are unsafe practices going on, and it needs to stop NOW! If that doesn't work then I'd leave. It's not worth getting shot.

Any time there are more than 2 shooting, first order of business should be to decide who is the RO official or unofficial. When family is out in the back fourty, I am the RO, period. When at the range with a group, I want to find out who is, first thing. I do agree with other posters the skeet crowd is probably the worst I am around for slinging a barrel everywhich direction.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

No RO as it was just friends and family with some colleagues added in. I love going to these events as they are a blast however, if I go next time I will lay down some rules.

Shout and swear if you must, and smack the offending muzzle up in the air. Embarrass the hell out of them. Make it a rule that all weapons are to be open when not on the line shooting. Or just don't go there. I don't use public ranges just because of stupid people.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

pax
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911M
    Any time there are more than 2 shooting, first order of business should be to decide who is the RO official or unofficial. When family is out in the back fourty, I am the RO, period. When at the range with a group, I want to find out who is, first thing.
    Very good post. When you take care of this right up front, it is a lot lot lot lot less awkward to say something about unsafe behavior later -- everyone knows what to expect and who to expect it from, and most people are really grateful to know that someone will say something if anything is done dangerously.

Chances are, Harold, that there were other people there feeling just as unhappily awkward as you were, who would have welcomed it if you'd said something but who weren't brave enough to say it themselves.

Makes sense to me that establishing ground rules up front might prevent dangerous behavior in the first place, and definitely make it less awkward to say something about it if it does happen.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

I have been to a few ranges where someone's barrel has swept the crowd...I don't go back to those places. I now shoot at a 'safety always in mind first' range. There are about 450 members, more than half of them have their SRO cert...the range pushes that...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links