Drawing while sitting - Page 2

Drawing while sitting

This is a discussion on Drawing while sitting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My second gun (SW 642) goes from my pocket to the center console of my truck when I enter my car. Problem solved....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My second gun (SW 642) goes from my pocket to the center console of my truck when I enter my car. Problem solved.

I solved this by supplementing my primary carry (Glock 23) on the left hip with a Glock 27 strapped to my left ankle for occasions such as driving which eliminates working the seatbelt and have found working from my right side is simpler in a car because drawing left side binds me up if in the driver seat. Normally I donít carry ankle and will deposit my G27 in my carís safe when not needed. One last thing about ankle carry, I first tried semi-cheap holsters but found out in a short time that they are not comfortable and tried an Alessi which is comfortable driving and over an extended period of time. Matter of fact once done with this post itís being strapped on for a six hour drive from Salem Oregon to Spokane Washington.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

before i sit in my car, i tuck my t-**** between my body and the gun grip, that way i don't need to move it out of the way. while sitting in my car with the gun at 3:00 i don't need to undo my seatbelt to draw it. with the shirt already out of the way, the draw is pretty easy.

Administrator
    For all you guys who say you dont need to unbuckle before drawing... You dont unbuckle for the draw, you unbuckle for the fight. That would be a tactical nightmare being strapped to a seat and getting into a gun fight.... the key to surviving a gun fight is to move....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    For all you guys who say you dont need to unbuckle before drawing... You dont unbuckle for the draw, you unbuckle for the fight. That would be a tactical nightmare being strapped to a seat and getting into a gun fight.... the key to surviving a gun fight is to move....
    Good point
    I'll be practicing some of these suggestions later today.

Being that I'm still new to this, I hadn't even thought about this. Great point though. I sure don't want to be stuck in place when the bomb goes off.

Dedicated car gun. If I'm in someone else's car, I would have to unbuckle first, then reach for it in the appendix IWB. If I'm wearing a Smartcarry at the time, I can still get to it but it will require me to arch my back and grab. Slower than a dedicated car gun, but doable.

good point. in my previous post i wasn't trying to insinuate that i wouldn't unbuckle, just that i wouldn't need to in order to draw my gun. i should have been more clear. of course, getting unstrapped from your seat is a must in any defensive situation.

When I'm driving long distances I have an IWB that I snap onto my seatbelt as a cross draw.

I get in the car and my gun goes in the seatbelt holster. If I stop I move the gun back to its regular holster.

I also carry a S&W 642, in a holster on the front of my seat, I move it to my pocket when I get out.

I know some of you have said that you remove your gun and lay it on the seat beside you. I would like to caution you on this. If you have to slam on your brakes, or get in an accident, you gun will go flying. I know, it has happened to me.

In order to avoid this problem one of my friends has taken a nylon holster and sewed the hook part of velcro to it. If you stick it between the seats it doesn't move. He also applied a piece of velcro to the back of his console (it is always folded down) so he can attach the holster there if he decides.

We have tried to shake the gun loose from both places and it hasn't come loose.

Recommendation: Use industrial velcro, that stuff is amazing.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I think a simple soultion would be to have a second gun in the vehicle within easy reach i.e. in the door. The BG would think you were reaching for the door handle or wallet. I think it would be a lot easier then trying to fumble for your side.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    There are many solutions, some of which have been mentioned here already. At car-buying time, consider the weapon access factor when sitting in the seat. The advantage of big door pockets is self-evident. At holster-buying time, consider access while seated. An 0300 carry position is more accessible than 0400, and heaven help you if you use SOB carry. A holster worn at 0300 should have less forward tilt than one worn farther back. Consider the weapon; a snubby or compact auto clears quicker than than a longer weapon, and a hammer spur can snag, catch, or bump things during the draw; the SAME is true of prominent grip safeties and tangs, some rear sights, and the rear of the slide of all too many of today's autos with the striker mechanism enclosed by the rear of the slide. The more things there are hanging off the weapon, the more clearance is needed, so allow for it if you favor weapons with those features. In my 1911 days, I used a Galco driving holster quite a bit, but remembering to remove the holster when exiting the vehicle was a constant concern. Someone in an open-carry state would not have to worry as much. If one is willing to practice bit, to get the moves ingrained, this is where an ankle rig can really shine. Before we get into a fight about ankle rigs, I carry another gun at waist level when I carry a gun in an ankle rig! OK? In fact, I rarely carry only one even when I don't use an ankle rig. Hope I didn't ramble on too long; just sharing thoughts from almost 24 years of CCW and LE.
    Last edited by Rexster; November 1st, 2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Everywhere I go, I try to imagine and practice how I would draw and move in a situation. One situation in particular, troubles me personally. When I am sitting in a car, it takes me a good 3-5 seconds to draw my firearm (even when I'm not under pressure ).
    I wear an IWB at the 3 o'clock and the holster is a Don Hume Waistband clip on with thumb break. Using the thumb break is not a problem. The problem for me is getting to it. When I'm buckled in, its hard for me to pull my T-shirt out of the way. Its under the seatbelt.

**mid post revelation**

Maybe if I tried to unbuckle...
    For those of you who have had the same problem I have, is that what you have done to solve it?
    Have you thought about the crossdraw position?

A crossdraw holster...
    Tucked between the seats...
    Practice from the strong side...

All good suggestions.

When I really think I may want quick access to a weapon, I keep my strong side in the holster and take a second .45 with me and either put it under my thigh...or tuck it between the console and the seat. Either place provides quick access to a weapon...just what I do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo2 View Post
    I have an Uncle Mikes IWB that I removed the clip from and keep it wedged between the seat and the console. Holds weapon secure and stays put when I draw.
    Good idea.

I wear my pistol at 9:00, so it's opposite the buckle, but I am still slow drawing it. Plus, my wrap-around bucket seat fits me perfectly with nothing extra on the belt; with an IWB or OWB holster, it's a tight fit. A "car" holster of any kind must be faster.

I have read several good tips in this thread; thanks to everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links