Drawing while sitting

This is a discussion on Drawing while sitting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everywhere I go, I try to imagine and practice how I would draw and move in a situation. One situation in particular, troubles me personally. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing while sitting

Drawing while sitting

Everywhere I go, I try to imagine and practice how I would draw and move in a situation. One situation in particular, troubles me personally. When I am sitting in a car, it takes me a good 3-5 seconds to draw my firearm (even when I'm not under pressure ).
    I wear an IWB at the 3 o'clock and the holster is a Don Hume Waistband clip on with thumb break. Using the thumb break is not a problem. The problem for me is getting to it. When I'm buckled in, its hard for me to pull my T-shirt out of the way. Its under the seatbelt.

**mid post revelation**

Maybe if I tried to unbuckle...
    For those of you who have had the same problem I have, is that what you have done to solve it?

2. Remove Ads

There was a clip with Massad Ayoob recently on Personal Defense TV that illustrated this very situation. Basically unbuckle with left hand, using it to guide the belt out of your way, mean while be drawing your pistol with your right hand, bringing the gun over top of the steering wheel toward to window.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

AMH
    gpsxplr sounds to be on point. Depending on how far away you sit from your steering wheel you may want to bring your weapon between your body and the steering wheel as opposed to over the top of it. This will keep the weapon tighter in to your body helping with retention issues.

If I have to sit in the car for to long I un-holster and place my weapon in the counsel. It is still concealed and easier to get to.

Now take this next piece of advice with a grain of salt, as I have never tried it. Some people I talk to say that a shoulder holster is better if you spend a lot of time sitting (in car or at desk) because it is an easier and faster draw. This may be an option worth considering.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Assistant Administrator
    Drawing while sitting - sturdy desk - good pad of paper and sharp pencil!!!

Seriously - I move my rig from normal 3.30 to 3.00 so as to avoid seat belt being so obstructive but - first and foremost I feel our situational awareness should also play a part such that if anything unsettles us, we can at least draw at leisure and have the gun more to hand.

Other option I have thought of is lower dash mounted auxilliary rig for intermediate holding/stowage.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    It’s a fairly easy technique to master, I’ve explained it in depth here before… but I couldn’t find it.

Its one a one handed affair, one motion of sliding your hand underneath your seatbelt, hitting your belt release on the downward motion and drawing on the upward. Once practiced, its very quick to do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sorry, wasn't with Ayoob, I think it was at gunsite.
    Anyway It was episode #1 of the new season of PDTV.
    You can see a clip here:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/pdtv/PDTV0701_promo/
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

I have an Uncle Mikes IWB that I removed the clip from and keep it wedged between the seat and the console. Holds weapon secure and stays put when I draw.

Thank you all for the advice. I don't take my holster off because usually I have other people in the car so I'll try that technique SIXTO. I do have a shoulder rig but do not have it down here at college right now (usually wear it around the land and in the truck). Thanks for the clip gpsxplr! I'll check it out later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Itís a fairly easy technique to master, Iíve explained it in depth here beforeÖ but I couldnít find it.

Its one a one handed affair, one motion of sliding your hand underneath your seatbelt, hitting your belt release on the downward motion and drawing on the upward. Once practiced, its very quick to do.
    Oh yeah, easy for your to say, you're right handed!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Since I pocket carry (with holster) a revolver, I usually have a second one in the center console. If I am sitting parked in a parking lot while my wife shops and the windows are down I usually take the console revolver and place it in my lap. If I am seated in a restaurant there might be a revolver or small pistol in an ankle holster and my faithful revolver in my pocket too. john

Isn't there a Wilderness Safepacker that can be attached to the actual seatbelt? Then just move the weapon back to its orginal holster when exiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Everywhere I go, I try to imagine and practice how I would draw and move in a situation. One situation in particular, troubles me personally. When I am sitting in a car, it takes me a good 3-5 seconds to draw my firearm (even when I'm not under pressure ).
    I wear an IWB at the 3 o'clock and the holster is a Don Hume Waistband clip on with thumb break. Using the thumb break is not a problem. The problem for me is getting to it. When I'm buckled in, its hard for me to pull my T-shirt out of the way. Its under the seatbelt.

**mid post revelation**

Maybe if I tried to unbuckle...
    For those of you who have had the same problem I have, is that what you have done to solve it?

I solved the problem by putting a second gun in an Ankle Holster when I'm in the truck.

Biker

I tuck my shirt behind the gun/holster. It enables me to draw even with the seatbelt in place. My holster is an inside the waistband also.

I always carry cross draw, and a big part of it was for this reason. I don't have to fool with the seatbelt to draw, the gun is at almost the same angle whether I sit or stand.

I have a NAA Mini 22 Mag in a cross draw holster for when I'm in the car.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links