Defensive Carry banner

Kent State Newspaper Against CCW

2K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Zigmun 
#1 ·
The Kent Stater ran an article in the newspaper saying how students shouldn't be allowed to carry on campus without reviewing any facts first. Read the article and comment if you feel compelled to.

http://ln-s.net/17Vy

#4 ·
Its not a bad school education wise, as long as you are smart enough to see through the smoke. (sounds like you are... you're here after all!) I have a couple of friends that went there, and I almost did too. It just has become the mecca of liberalism in Ohio.

#5 ·
'Having a gun on campus is a completely different matter. There are more people around. The chances of something going wrong and people getting hurt increase exponentially. "

If this is their opinion, I'll expect to see an editorial from them advocating the disarming of public security (campus police).

#6 ·
They are totally right. My holstered pistol has much greater chances of going off when I'm in Walmart and there's people everywhere. Sometimes I really hate irrational people.

#7 ·
The Berkley of Ohio huh???

#9 ·
No surprise. Unfortunately college is a necessary thing these days and its sad that people have that attitude....and so many seem to be drawn to become college teachers and administrators.
I guess if a person had a "correct" gun attitude and worked at a college, if they expressed there attitudes and opinions they would not get very far there.

#10 ·
Anti-gun morons will say anything, no matter how nonsensical and illogical, to avoid admitting the truth--that CCW is a force for good, and rarely causes problems, and is better than what we have now, which is lambs to the slaughter.

#11 · (Edited)
Excuse me-:aargh4:
"Having a gun on campus is a completely different matter. There are more people around. The chances of something going wrong and people getting hurt increase exponentially. It's no longer a matter of risking the lives of just your family. By carrying a gun around campus, you are making yourself responsible for the lives and safety of everyone you encounter."
This shows us what they really think--
WE are a risk to the lives of our families, but that's OK...just don't go outside and endanger anyone else. Of course their answer is "we can't be responsible for ourselves, so let's have policies (Gun Free Zone) make us safe. And if anybody violates the policy, then it's THEIR fault."

#12 ·
...That doesn't mean you need to turn into the hero from some action movie and save the day.

Nope, I'm only going to save 'me and mine'...:yup:

...This means you are liable for anything that should result from you carrying a concealed weapon on campus...

Yep, the result will be saving my own life...I will be responsible for that...:yup:

#13 ·
We might looses our nerve?!? Seriously, what stops cops and security from just magically forgeting everything they have ever learned and all of a sudden going nuts and shooting random people. Just because they have a badge makes them immune? What happens if the government lost their nerve and they start shooting and killing random people. God forbid that we would want to carry a gun to protect ourselves from this crap.

#18 ·
The article is almost funny. To summarize:

1. The thought of people with guns makes them scared ("The idea of having people walking around Kent State, let alone in public, with concealed firearms is rather frightening.").

2. They understand and concede the generally well-thought out arguments for CCW (calling them "well thought out" and even going so far as listing several of them with general agreement).

3. They still fear guns too much to concede their support.

Now, is it just me, or does that scream "irrational fear" loud and clear? Hoplophobia, pure and simple. The sheer existence of guns makes these people fearful, and that's the bottom line. And the only way to fix it is to take these people to the range and show them that guns are just machines, shooting can be fun, and that you don't turn into a homicidal maniac just by touching a weapon. Maybe a National Take a Hoplophobe to the Range Day.

#19 ·
Was Freud correct when he stated that a fear of weapons was a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity? Looks like it....

See the 10th Lecture of Freud's "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis" (1952) and Freud and Oppenheim's "Dreams in Folklore" (1958).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.