Observation about PA

This is a discussion on Observation about PA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading thru a lot of the different states laws on CCW... and it occured to me that we have it pretty easy here ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Observation about PA

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Observation about PA

I've been reading thru a lot of the different states laws on CCW... and it occured to me that we have it pretty easy here in Pennsylvania. We can carry most places by law, except federal property, state parks and courthouses. A lot of states prohibit various places because of alcohol or what have you. We should get a list together of "Shall issue" states that are the least restrictive all the way to most restrictive.

I'm going to say (shall issue states) PA, UT and TX are the least restrictive on CCW laws.
    I'm going to say Michigan is the most restrictive shall issue state.
    Last edited by Pro2A; November 2nd, 2007 at 09:12 AM.

2. Remove Ads

PA is great, but we have all the blissninnies from NY, NJ and MD almost surrounding us.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    PA is great, but we have all the blissninnies from NY, NJ and MD almost surrounding us.
    Well in a way, that's the flipside. PA is great, but mostly landlocked with fascist regimes (at the eastern end). So, really, useful reciprocity will always be limited here. It's like living on a peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    Well in a way, that's the flipside. PA is great, but mostly landlocked with fascist regimes (at the eastern end). So, really, useful reciprocity will always be limited here. It's like living on a peninsula.
    Right on. I live in Pa about 2 miles from the Mason Dixon line. I have to pass through md, every morning for a total distance of about .3 miles to get to I-81 or rt. 11. Because of these .3 miles I have to properly secure my gun and ammo in my truck before i leave the house in the morning. Then gear up when I get to work. It gets very old, however I don't have much of a choice and better get used to it since it is next to impossible to get a LTC as a resident let alone a non resident.

Other than the AWB (except preban) and registration, NY is nice like that, too.
    The kind folks in PA gave me a permit in less than a week with a copy of my NY permit. Now why doesn't our state play nice like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I've been reading thru a lot of the different states laws on CCW... and it occured to me that we have it pretty easy here in Pennsylvania. We can carry most places by law, except federal property, state parks land and courthouses. A lot of states prohibit various places because of alcohol or what have you. We should get a list together of "Shall issue" states that are the least restrictive all the way to most restrictive.
    Schools are off limits as well.

Administrator

Thumbs up

It's truly pretty much no hassle at all here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    Other than the AWB (except preban) and registration, NY is nice like that, too...
    How about the fact that you have to have a permit to buy a handgun. How about the fact that a non-resident cannot even possess a handgun in NY (with the exception of going directly to or leaving directly from a handgun match, i.e., IDPA). New York is not nice to non-residents.

I am not as rosy about NY as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    I am not as rosy about NY as you are.
    Please note the last line of my post. If I didn't live here, I wouldn't come here due to the laws.
    I do what I can to foster change, but there's a whole lot of people in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by XD9mm View Post
    Right on. I live in Pa about 2 miles from the Mason Dixon line. I have to pass through md, every morning for a total distance of about .3 miles to get to I-81 or rt. 11. Because of these .3 miles I have to properly secure my gun and ammo in my truck before i leave the house in the morning. Then gear up when I get to work. It gets very old, however I don't have much of a choice and better get used to it since it is next to impossible to get a LTC as a resident let alone a non resident.
    I think I know what you're talking about... that exit there on 81 is half in MD and partway in PA... am I thinking of what you are thinking, or is it something else? As far as I know the Mason Dixon Rd. is practically the border... I mean you can drive down it and see MD licence plates in the driveways on one side, and PA plates on the other... from what I've heard tho Mason Dixon Rd. is a PA road, and police juristiction falls under PA law. Maybe you can explain where you are talking about. I know as you pass 81 going east (on Mason Dixon Rd.) that little section until you get to 11 is clearly in PA. Its when you turn right (south) on 11 that you have to drive a house or two before you see the MD sign.

Senior Moderator
    Agreed. I miss PA. No looking for signs on the doors restricting carry. No worrying about whether a restaurant serves alcohol or not, it's a great carry state!

Why do you put Michigan down as the most restrictive? We easily can carry in more places than a lot of states including Texas.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I think I know what you're talking about... that exit there on 81 is half in MD and partway in PA... am I thinking of what you are thinking, or is it something else? As far as I know the Mason Dixon Rd. is practically the border... I mean you can drive down it and see MD licence plates in the driveways on one side, and PA plates on the other... from what I've heard tho Mason Dixon Rd. is a PA road, and police juristiction falls under PA law. Maybe you can explain where you are talking about. I know as you pass 81 going east (on Mason Dixon Rd.) that little section until you get to 11 is clearly in PA. Its when you turn right (south) on 11 that you have to drive a house or two before you see the MD sign.
    You are exactly right about your boundaries. Mason Dixon rd. is in Pa. When you are on that road heading towards State Line you are in Pa the whole time. The md. line runs parallel to Mason Dixon rd. My problem lies in the fact that I live on rt. 416/Mercersburg Road. To get to Mason Dixon road, I-81, Rt. 11, etc. I have to pass through Md. back roads until I get out to Williamsport pike, and then onto Mason Dixon road. The worst part about this is that washington county sherrif's heavily watch the md. side of 416 and are a bit over zealous when it comes to their traffic stops so there is no way I am going to take my chances with wearing my gun for barely that mile or two.

Quote Originally Posted by XD9mm View Post
    You are exactly right about your boundaries. Mason Dixon rd. is in Pa. When you are on that road heading towards State Line you are in Pa the whole time. The md. line runs parallel to Mason Dixon rd. My problem lies in the fact that I live on rt. 416/Mercersburg Road. To get to Mason Dixon road, I-81, Rt. 11, etc. I have to pass through Md. back roads until I get out to Williamsport pike, and then onto Mason Dixon road. The worst part about this is that washington county sherrif's heavily watch the md. side of 416 and are a bit over zealous when it comes to their traffic stops so there is no way I am going to take my chances with wearing my gun for barely that mile or two.
    What I dont like is in order to get off on the Mason Dixon Rd. exit coming south on 81 the actual exit is in MD for a brief moment. Now thats what I call a pain in the butt when it comes to CCW... And MD Stateys sit right there too

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Why do you put Michigan down as the most restrictive? We easily can carry in more places than a lot of states including Texas.

I've looked at a list of places you guys cant carry, I cant remember where but it seemed pretty restrictive i.e. Hospitals, parks etc... and compared to say PA it seems rather restrictive... thats why I say that MI is more restrictive then other states.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links