Carrying in the State of SC

This is a discussion on Carrying in the State of SC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been doing some searching/reading of gun laws in the State of SC and it's come to the point where I need assistance. I have ...

Thread: Carrying in the State of SC

I've been doing some searching/reading of gun laws in the State of SC and it's come to the point where I need assistance. I have a Concealed Carry Permit from NC and SC is a reciporicating State but SC seems more restrictive for example while riding/driving in a car or truck I may not wear my weapon but instead store it in the glove compartment or console. When on a motorcycle or bicycle it must be stored in saddlebags or backpack. Is the use a holster OK for walking down the street? I will be traveling to SC soon and I don't want to pay a large fine, loose my weapon, and go to jail. Someone from South Carolina please chime in.

You may carry a loaded pistol in the closed but unlocked glove box or console of a car WITHOUT a CC permit in SC. You are misreading the law here. You can carry concealed on your body with a permit everywhere EXCEPT where forbidden by South Carolina law , which means a resturant or bar serving liquor, or a government building, or a school/day care/medical building, or someplace that is posted with a sign at every entrance ( rather rare), or into a private residence without the permission of the owner. As far as I can see, these restrictions are similar but less restrictive than those for NC. Go to http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and read over the law. Look for section 31, title 23.

Regards from conwic in SC

You may carry your gun in a holster while walking down the street but it must be concealed. The only open carry in SC is on private property with permission or while hunting or fishing. As conwic said the glove box is for those without a permit.

I too was originally confused about a weapon in the car. I asked at the shooting range and they said the same as FN1910. It didn't make sense to me as I carry in a Mika pocket holster for a 642 and then have to remove the pistol out of my pocket into the glove comparment and reverse the process every time I get in and out the car. That is when someone could take notice and then I could have a problem. Now I'm working on carrying on the waist for the cooler months.

Sponsored Links