Renewing GA Firearms License - The Saga

This is a discussion on Renewing GA Firearms License - The Saga within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought some of you current license holders might be interested in my experience renewing. Getting my original GA firearms License was a fairly simple ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renewing GA Firearms License - The Saga

Renewing GA Firearms License - The Saga

I thought some of you current license holders might be interested in my experience renewing.

Getting my original GA firearms License was a fairly simple process. I visited the Fulton County Municipal Court building in Roswell (North Fulton County). Filled out a few forms; swore an oath before the magistrate; got finger printed at the police station located in the same building and then waited three months to receive my license which was dated December 25th (nice Christmas present!).

But that was five years ago and things have changed a lot in Fulton County since then - but not for the better. With my license set to expire in two months I set out for the Municipal Court building to process my renewal. After filling out the same exact forms as in the original application process I was told that the process was exactly as if I was applying for the first time and that now I had to go to a different location to be finger printed. I had two choices 1) A close by North Fulton county office that did traditional ink-based finger prints or 2) Downtown Atlanta (20-miles away to the south) for the digitized process. My first reaction was "it's a no-brainer- I'll take the local trip and get ink-printed." Until I was informed that the ink prints could take up to 8 (eight) months to process through GBI and FBI! By comparison the digitized prints would take approximately 8 weeks to complete the same process. AND my current license would become invalid after its expiration date regardless of the fact that I was in the process of renewing.

Today, I spent an hour driving downtown and back; and nearly two hours waiting in line to complete the 5-minute ($19.25) process of getting printed digitally.

I was told that the electronic scanner was costly - $1 million - and therefore was the only one in the county. I can understand and appreciate that. What I can't figure out is why it is taking GBI and FBI up to eight months to process manual prints.

a) Is there a backlog?
    b) Are these organizations understanffed?
    c) Are they trying to accelerate the transition to digital scanning at the local level?
    d) All of the above?

What happens if that million-dollar machine breaks down?

I would be interested if anyone could shed some light on why this process seems to have deteriorated so much over the past five years. And why there isn't an abbreviated renewal process for current license holders in good sted with the law. Is this renewal process unique to Georgia or Fulton County?

I will also update the forum when I receive my renewal. If I don't receive it by December 25th I do have the option of paying an additional $4 to receive a 90-day license extension. I am told this is a simple process of paying the money and signing a form.

JK

2. Remove Ads

You are talking about the GOVERNMENT, so that should explain it very well.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

New Hampshire non-resident. Good for four years. I think it cost twenty dollars.

The GA license is $20. The digital printing process is an additional $19.25 versus ink for about $10.

Did your finger prints change from the first time they were taken? haha Seems like a revenue stream to help pay for another million dollar machine. I believe that in MI. your original prints are good enough for renewals.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    VA prohibits localities from requiring prints on renewals. God bless the VCDL.

Best of luck to you!

Next HealthCare

Now wait in line for healthcare, like canada. Hillary Care
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

VIP Member
    At least you guys can do the 90 extension. In Nevada if your permit expires during the renewal process you're SOL!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    At least you guys can do the 90 extension. In Nevada if your permit expires during the renewal process you're SOL!

Thumper - do you have to re-print to renew in Nevada?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K4Kimber View Post
    Thumper - do you have to re-print to renew in Nevada?
    Yes, new background check and everything but up here in Northern Nevada the Sheriffs Department does it all including digitized fingerprints.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Just applied today in Iowa

I took my class last weekend, and went to the sheriff's office this afternoon, would have done it sooner but I have been in South Dakota on business. I was shocked at how easy they made it!! No fingerprints, just a few forms to fill out, two pictures to take, $11.00 fee, and I will have my ccw mid next week!! It is good for one year.

The class I took is also recognized by the state of Utah, I have all the forms to get a non-resident permit from there. That permit is recognized by a lot more states than Iowa's. They do require fingerprints, I just need to go to the local police department and have it done. It is a five year non-resident permit, it is $65.25

Why in the heck would you need to be printed again????

$20??????

Holy cow, it's $152 in CO.. the counties charge the max they are allowed to charge.. $100 for the county.. $52.50 for CBI.. talk aboot lucky.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; November 2nd, 2007 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Edited Profanity

It took me a total of $117 to get my FL permit!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Some folks got heated up when I appeared to be bashing Georgia a few weeks ago.

The reason I was "bashing" Georgia is because it has come to my attention (via this forum) just how hostile the supposedly "shall-issue" state of Georgia really is to its licensed concealed carriers.

Can't carry on ANY public transportation.
    Can't carry at highway rest stops (where you'd seriously want to be able to carry.)
    There were other examples but honestly I didn't commit them to memory because I'd just as soon forget that the state of Georgia exists.

We often observe how "lucky" we are that we've made such progress since 1987, and how more than 40 states are now "shall-issue." Much more rare is the discussion of just how much "compromise" we had to make to get shall-issue enacted. Think about Ohio's law pertaining to having the gun on the seat while driving; or Virginia's ridiculousness regarding carry in restaurants that serve alcohol--and how open carry is ok, but concealed is not (as though crooks and thugs are going to transfer from concealed to open when they come in to rob the place).

I never heard of anything quite as bad as this system that's going to leave you hung out to dry even though you are attempting to renew your license two months before expiration! That's a new low.

I think you ought to try to speak with a judge, and maybe he can make some sort of order granting your license an official extension. If you lay the facts out, only malfeasance or outright hostility would explain them not helping you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links