Embarrassing first concealed-carry experience.

This is a discussion on Embarrassing first concealed-carry experience. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carried a 92F concealed in civvies when I was stationed in Uzbekistan in 2002. Before shipping out I discovered that I would be issued ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing first concealed-carry experience.

Embarrassing first concealed-carry experience.

I carried a 92F concealed in civvies when I was stationed in Uzbekistan in 2002. Before shipping out I discovered that I would be issued a 92F and I would be carrying it concealed. Having never carried concealed before I decided on a shoulder holster. When considering my concealed carry rig I didn't give much thought to functionality, only that it would look "bitchin." So lo and behold, I get to Uzbekistan and it is hotter than two rats doing the nasty in a wool sock and there is no way I am wearing two shirts or a jacket to carry this thing.

As you can imagine the whole Miami Vice look was immediately thrown right out the window and I took to carrying it with no holster tucked in the small of my back when I felt like I needed it. So one day we were doing our thing (secret stuff) and getting a tour of a local government facility when I feel the 92F start to slide out of my waistband and into the seat of my pants. Without thinking I grab my butt with both hands which, one, made everyone look at me and ,two, it made the gun slide right down the leg of my cargo pants and come to rest muzzle first against the marble floor with a solid and very audible thunk. (Needless to say I wasn't feeling very James Bond at the moment.)

So everyone is looking at me expectantly and at my leg which made the strange metal thunk sound a second ago, and very possibly at the barrel of my gun, which is sticking out of my pants. I stare back, pointedly ignoring whatever had just happened and the Uzbeks being an incredibly hospitable people, decided to let me think I'd gotten away with it, and the tour lurched back into motion.

As they all turn their backs to continue, I make like I am tying my shoe and stuff the pistol inside my boot. Into a boot, I might add, which wasn't fashioned to accommodate a full frame pistol and my size 14 foot. It was quite painful but I tried to keep up appearances, limping along behind with my eyes watering from the pain of having the skin torn from my ankle with every step.

Before long I asked where the nearest restroom was and one of the employees showed me directly to the nearest available facility, which was 2 floors up and a good healthy walk from where we started. Once in the bathroom I pulled the pistol from my boot and tucked it back into my waistband, and this time with my thumbs hooked into my belt to keep tension on the gun, I completed the tour without further incident.

So anyways that was my first concealed carry experience. Necessity being the mother of invention, I quickly discovered that in a pinch you can easily conceal a large pistol in one of those zip-up daily planner things. Who would think you have a full frame handgun in a daily planner? Apparently, not too many people.

Now that I have decided to carry full-time in the civilian world I have invested in the Crossbreed Super-Tuck Deluxe in order to avoid any further embarrassing incidents.
    Last edited by limatunes; November 2nd, 2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: removed language

2. Remove Ads

glad it was merely embarassing as opposed to causing problems for you.

For future referrence (probably irrelevant since you now have a holster) a loop of para-cord or shoelace about 16" long makes a good field-expedient holster. Just tie the ends to create a loop, pass half of it under your belt and slide the barrel/slide of your weapon through both "mini-loops" and into your waistband. This keeps the weapon from sliding down into your pants.
    (before anybody gripes...I'm not recommending that one should carry this way on a daily basis, it's just a workable method for times when you may not have a proper holster and still wish to carry your pistol)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Although I don't think everybody has gone through that, its safe to say that we feel your pain. Do you still have that shoulder holster for whenever you want to go Miami Vice?

Funny story

Senior Moderator
    Certainly a story to remember and a good lesson learned...lol

I think if we are all honest we can say we've had REALLY BAD carry days.

One day, I decided it would be a good idea to carry my Stainless Ultra Carry in a skirt, with no belt, in a clip on holster. I clipped the thing to my skirt and ran out the door.

I knew the instant I got in my car that this was going to be a LONG day. The holster and weight of the gun were pulling fiercely on my skirt causing the skirt to dig into my weak side and stomach.

By the time I got home that day I had a ring around my waist that looked like someone had tried to saw me in half. I was in agony.

I learned the benefit of belts that day.

Very funny story though.

Good story.

We should start a thread of for everyone to post there ooops story.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I think we all have at least one bad carry story. Mine happened when I was over at a friend's house. We had all decided to play washers (for those of you who don't know - washers is akin to horseshoes) in the backyard. I was carrying my Kimber Ultra Carry in a kangaroo holster (like a belly band, but positions the pistol just under your armpit). So after throwing my washers I lean down to pick them up. While bending over my .45 falls out of the holster and is now laying inside my shirt. As I stand back up my pistol slides down my shirt to where it is tucked in. All the while me trying not to act like I have just dropped a .45 down my shirt. With my hand clutching my stomach like I have a stomachache, I excused myself to the side of the house to re-adjust. Needless to say that was the last time I ever used that holster.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

You made me 'laugh out loud'...

Glad the crowd was so polite...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Instead of an ankle holster, we will all start using the Uzbeki-style carry!

Good story!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Instead of an ankle holster, we will all start using the Uzbeki-style carry!

Good story!
    haha nice...good story

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Good story! I've toted in credit files, folios, and rolled up computer print-outs when it seemed expedient.

When our 25 year-old son was a toddler my wife had an incident. She was standing in the check-out line at Safeway on a busy late afternoon, filling out her check when she looked up to find that he'd retrieved a Colt Model 1908 .25 ACP she kept in her purse and was waiving it around. No round in the chamber so it wasn't going to go off but it was still disconcerting for her. She discreetly took it and secured it. To her surprise no one seemed to notice though there were probably 30 people within 15 feet of her.

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    Although I don't think everybody has gone through that, its safe to say that we feel your pain. Do you still have that shoulder holster for whenever you want to go Miami Vice?
    It might be in a footlocker somewhere around here.

Very funny and I completely relate. I too had the idea that there is nothing quite as, shall we say, b****in', as a shoulder holster. I learned very quickly that it is relatively rarely the best form of carry, for me at least.

But my biggest oops have to be with ankle carry, which is how I usually carry (unless I can pocket carry). My first ankle holster was an enormously crappy Uncle Mike's, and it was sized for a J-frame and I was trying to carry a K-frame in it. Not too smart. At one point I was at church and the velcro strap disengaged from the calf strap to the holster, and the bottom part of the holster clunked down onto my ankle, and I had to limp to the car to adjust it. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

But I more recently had a P3-AT in a Fobus ankle holster, which is otherwise an absolutely excellent holster. No complaints, but this one.... I work in IT and was crawling under a desk. I must have kicked it out, and Fobus holsters do not have retention straps. It clattered to the floor, still within my pant leg. Thank God no one was around at the time, but I immediately ordered a custom leather ankle holster with a retention strap.

Your story has it beat. Carrying a full size pistol stuffed into your boot, good golly that must have been a painful lesson! :D
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

This is one of the reasons why I love this forum. For those of us who started carrying a while back, there just wasn't (at least I didn't find them) the resources to learn without making your own mistakes. Here, you can learn how to do things properly, learn from other's mistakes and learn what products are good and not so good.

Thanks for sharing.

-john

How funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanwins View Post
    I carried a 92F concealed in civvies when I was stationed in Uzbekistan in 2002. Before shipping out I discovered that I would be issued a 92F and I would be carrying it concealed. Having never carried concealed before I decided on a shoulder holster. When considering my concealed carry rig I didn't give much thought to functionality, only that it would look "bitchin." So lo and behold, I get to Uzbekistan and it is hotter than two rats doing the nasty in a wool sock and there is no way I am wearing two shirts or a jacket to carry this thing.

As you can imagine the whole Miami Vice look was immediately thrown right out the window and I took to carrying it with no holster tucked in the small of my back when I felt like I needed it. So one day we were doing our thing (secret stuff) and getting a tour of a local government facility when I feel the 92F start to slide out of my waistband and into the seat of my pants. Without thinking I grab my butt with both hands which, one, made everyone look at me and ,two, it made the gun slide right down the leg of my cargo pants and come to rest muzzle first against the marble floor with a solid and very audible thunk. (Needless to say I wasn't feeling very James Bond at the moment.)

So everyone is looking at me expectantly and at my leg which made the strange metal thunk sound a second ago, and very possibly at the barrel of my gun, which is sticking out of my pants. I stare back, pointedly ignoring whatever had just happened and the Uzbeks being an incredibly hospitable people, decided to let me think I'd gotten away with it, and the tour lurched back into motion.

As they all turn their backs to continue, I make like I am tying my shoe and stuff the pistol inside my boot. Into a boot, I might add, which wasn't fashioned to accommodate a full frame pistol and my size 14 foot. It was quite painful but I tried to keep up appearances, limping along behind with my eyes watering from the pain of having the skin torn from my ankle with every step.

Before long I asked where the nearest restroom was and one of the employees showed me directly to the nearest available facility, which was 2 floors up and a good healthy walk from where we started. Once in the bathroom I pulled the pistol from my boot and tucked it back into my waistband, and this time with my thumbs hooked into my belt to keep tension on the gun, I completed the tour without further incident.

So anyways that was my first concealed carry experience. Necessity being the mother of invention, I quickly discovered that in a pinch you can easily conceal a large pistol in one of those zip-up daily planner things. Who would think you have a full frame handgun in a daily planner? Apparently, not too many people.

Now that I have decided to carry full-time in the civilian world I have invested in the Crossbreed Super-Tuck Deluxe in order to avoid any further embarrassing incidents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links