Anti-gun friend actually needed a handgun!! (really long)

This is a discussion on Anti-gun friend actually needed a handgun!! (really long) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jualdeaux to be honest, I do not feel this will change her mind, or even lessen the degree of anti she is. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-gun friend actually needed a handgun!! (really long)

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    to be honest, I do not feel this will change her mind, or even lessen the degree of anti she is. She will rationalize that she felt fear for no reason, due to it just being a raccoon, and will probably just ignore the signs the next time. Possibly to her detriment.

Irrational people will remain irrational until they are jerked back into reality, usually by an actual life threatening encounter.
    Actually, thats the same thing I was thinking. It just fits her personality. I still offer her a trip to the range, but just like many times before, she'll think that she knows better than me, and as always she gets proven wrong but won't openly admit it. Just like a Democrat. However, I'll look for that book and give it to her and hopefully she'll wake up and at the very least let the husband keep the GLOCK loaded in the house.

BTW, the gun is no longer loaded. My GF talked her through the steps to make sure that the rounded chamber was extracted and to put back that round back in the magazine.

2. Remove Ads

Offer her $350 for the gun and see if she takes you up on it.

Sounds like its wasted on her...

I would suggest strongly that you have the husband confirm the "unloaded" status of the firearm. If she described "releasing the safety" perhaps the gun was stored in the slide open state to allow quick loading- her "releasing the safety" may have been her releasing the slide release and chambering a round.

If so and since she appears extremely uninformed, she likely would consider removing the magazine to be the same as "unloading" the Glock.

This may not be the case for a variety of reasons but it never hurts to double check before it is too late.

Edit: Oops- didn't see the second page of post where someone had already echoed my concerns. Still a good concern though.
    Last edited by Locopelli; November 2nd, 2007 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Ditto of previous post

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    to be honest, I do not feel this will change her mind, or even lessen the degree of anti she is. She will rationalize that she felt fear for no reason, due to it just being a raccoon, and will probably just ignore the signs the next time. Possibly to her detriment.

Irrational people will remain irrational until they are jerked back into reality, usually by an actual life threatening encounter.
    Agreed 100%!!!

As well it was completely stupid and worst fool hardy of her to go looking for trouble, dog, flashlight, and Condition 3 Glock in hand.
    Why do people do this and what do they expect to see?!
    Had the bump in the night not been a raccoon but The Bogeyman instead what would or even could she do?!

1) Release the dog and hope it's effective;
    2) Signal the BG of her position via the flashlight to allow her to be advanced upon and jumped from behind;
    3) Point and pull the trigger of the loaded but not charged Glock at the if located BG resulting in laughter on his part and reaction of ... <Goodnight Irene>

A little bit of training on her side toward most importantly what not to do would serve her, her future caretaker/widower husband, and her community at large (untrained unfamiliar scared noob gun handler sending rounds everywhere but on target) to a high and best degree.
    Instead she chooses, selfishly, to be ignorant and remain ignorant even when provided with means to invest in her knowledge set (via the OPs offering to her husband which then might would trickle down to her). Further she chooses to endanger her community and in a real way the wealth of her husband (guess who pays for her medical bills and convalescence/funeral) at her own whim if an when she deems it relevant to do so asher own morals are as based on resulting reaction completely flexible, when they aren't otherwise inflexible toward her husband and others.
    Worst she speaks of this to her friend who she knows is married to the guy she told her husband to not allow to train him even as she remarks she'd not told her husband, the most deserving person of anyone to be aware that this event occurred (!), and does not want him to know working on the weak assumption that her friend won't tell her husband (which of course she would and did) who then won't tell her hubby.

If I were the OP I'd tell the husband all I know, as stated here in this thread.
    I'd also tell the husband that as his wife has proven by action that her morality is flexible on the given subject as relative to her own view of danger and desire. That then her demands are okay to ignore as they are not written in stone, but more so in sand.

IMHO this is an excellent post and tale of real world reality and results.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have tried many times before (without pushing the envelope too much) to get her hubby to come to the range, shoot off some rounds, and talk about basic home safety. But....as much as I don't want to say this......he is wrapped around his wife's finger. Even when I talk to him privately, he still has the need to "get permission" from his wife. I mean, I firmly believe in a 50-50 relationship; where the chores, the decisions, and other relationship issues are divided evenly because it takes "two to tango". This guy is in a 90-10 relationship, and you know what, thats his problem. They have been dating for about a year or two, so he knew this before he got married.

I grew up in an anti-gun house, my mom once said. "Guns are evil, they should just get rid of them all." So that finished the discussion on firearms i had started. I can only hope that they never need one.

Distinguished Member
    OK, lets see----NO one else should have a gun, but I should have one---- Is your GF's friend A) Rosie O'donald or B) Diane Finstine I give up!!!!

Z

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAngel View Post
    I think a good deal of anti's are only an anti until they need a gun, then they wish they had one. I wonder how many hardcore anti-gunners would wish they had a gun during the course of an armed robbery or home invasion.
    +1
    Or until violence hits close to home.
    You know, the idiocy to this is that there are anti's out there that preach that it is more 'noble' to be raped or murdered than to defend oneself with something so 'evil' as a handgun.
    Not me, I've one life to live and no one has the right to take it away.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

When I was a young'un my folks always told me guns were evil. Flash forward twenty years or so and me and my mom took the handgun carry permit course together and we made our first "nacho run" at wallyworld last week.

Mom always told me hunting was bad too, until she married a hunter. A little education goes a long way to clear up ignorance.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Her superficial guns-are-evil attitude is not genuine, even if she is fooling herself too. She has an instinct to defend her life and property, however ignorantly she applied it. A true anti hides under the bed and calls 911 when things go bump in the night.

Im glad things worked out the way they did. Had that been an actual circumstance where deadly force might have been needed, you may well have been attending a funeral.

The best thing to happen would be that she takes something positive out of that experience and decides to take another look at her stance on the matter.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    I have tried many times before (without pushing the envelope too much) to get her hubby to come to the range, shoot off some rounds, and talk about basic home safety. But....as much as I don't want to say this......he is wrapped around his wife's finger. Even when I talk to him privately, he still has the need to "get permission" from his wife. I mean, I firmly believe in a 50-50 relationship; where the chores, the decisions, and other relationship issues are divided evenly because it takes "two to tango". This guy is in a 90-10 relationship, and you know what, thats his problem. They have been dating for about a year or two, so he knew this before he got married.
    Well, that'll probably never last. She thinks she can change him, and unless he's a complete wuss, sooner or later someone else will come along that's less controlling and a LOT more fun. Been there, done that.....
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

I would bet money that the gun would not have fired if she had pulled the trigger. She probably inserted the magazine, then operated the slide release, thinking she was removing a safety. It did nothing because the slide was probably already forward, so she never chambered a round.

Nevertheless, if she did mangage to chamber a round, it is unlikely that she completely unloaded the gun before storing it back in its box. There's an accicent waiting to happen!

Angry Do as I say-NOT as I do

Typical of the Anti crowd.

No guns except for the anointed.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
    Typical of the Anti crowd.

No guns except for the anointed.
    agreed with that statement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links