Defensive Carry banner

Anti-gun friend actually needed a handgun!! (really long)

3K views 34 replies 30 participants last post by  skippythenurse 
#1 ·
Yes, I didn't believe it either, who knew?

I have to mention the history before I tell y'all what happened. First of all, my GF has a friend who is very ANTI-gun. So bad, that when her husband received a GLOCK 17 as a wedding gift from his father, she told him that it will never be loaded inside the house and he cannot carry it (I have an opinion that is not appropriate to be mentioned openly).

Now, the story....(mind you, my GF is telling me the story that her friend told her)
A couple of nights ago, she was home alone while the hubby was at work (night shift). Their dog all of sudden got in the "ready defensive" position barking at the back door with the hair standing high and the tail straight as an arrow. She heard a noise at the front door and the dog zoomed to the noise barking crazy (note:this is not usual of the dog, ever). Then, the noise continued towards the back of the house. She immediately went to the closet where the GLOCK was waiting patiently to prove himself that his co-owner needed him (assuming she treats it as a "he"), she opens the case, next to it was a loaded magazine, she loads the magazine and (get this) "releases the safety". She grabs the flash light and inspects the back yard (bad move). She followed the sound and was startled by what appeared to be a raccoon. She shooed it away and all was well. She unloaded the GLOCK and never told her hubby because she didn't want to worry him.

I just had to laugh. I mean, this is the same woman who teased my GF when she heard that my GF was got her CHL. This is the same woman that doesn't like the fact that I attempted to invite her hubby for a round at the range. NOW, all of sudden, she went from "This is a gun free zone" to "Don't tread on me!"

Now, lets look back...
1.) By "safety" I am assuming she meant slide catch lever unless it is one of those very rare GLOCK's with the safety lever.
2.) she should've called 911 and waited patiently with the GLOCK inside the home.
3.)She finally knows what it feels like to feel vulnerable and remedied that with a GLOCK, can't blame her, its a GLOCK.

Just to let y'all know, I told my GF to tell her friend that she has an OPEN invitation to come to the range with me (w/ her hubby so not to over step) so I can teach her basic gun safety, teach her ALL the features of the GLOCK she used to defend herself, and to show her my collection should in case she gets interested in buying one for herself. Also, I told my GF to relay to her friend "Even anti-gun people should know who to use a gun, ignorance is not always bliss". Moments like these makes me glad that my gal can work an HK USP .45 anytime, any day.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've heard a few stories similar to that one........the anti suddenly "discovers" a need for the "evil".
Hopefully you and/or your GF have, or will, discuss the need for better tactics concerning "clearing" the backyard. grabing the G17 and the phone as you said.
Great job on keeping the invite open for both of them.....you may find your GF and yourself bringing two 'new' members over to the "dark side".

#5 ·
Good thing the husband had the magazine pre-loaded. I have to wonder though if the real reason for not telling her husband was because she didn't want to worry him. :rolleyes:

"Thank God I Had a Gun" by Chris Bird might be an appropriate book for her to read right now. About 20 different true stories of people's encounters with BG's that'll make her story of the racoon pale in comparison. Lack of knowledge often fuels their hypocrisy.

:congrats:Good job on offering a trip to the range for her. If she's never fired a gun before, you might want to let her shoot a .22 initially.

:congrats: Also good job on the father looking out for the safety of his son and the gift of the g17. Wise gift by the father, who probably knows what's up. :image035:

#6 ·
Sad story

From your description it seems possible that she didn't know enough about the Glock to chamber a round before she began to search the back yard with gun in hand. Had she suddenly had to use the gun it would not have fired and would be worse than useless.

She would have done better to carry a kitchen knife or baseball bat. She badly needs some training in the gun, but may not be smart enough to realize that.

#7 ·
I've known gun-haters who enjoy the protection of an armed friend or family member when perceived and real threats happened. Usually their logic is that they have superior morals and intellect than do the "unwashed masses".

We call them hypocrites in our house. john

#23 ·
+1
Or until violence hits close to home.
You know, the idiocy to this is that there are anti's out there that preach that it is more 'noble' to be raped or murdered than to defend oneself with something so 'evil' as a handgun.
Not me, I've one life to live and no one has the right to take it away.:nono:

#11 ·
Fear tightens and clarifies things, that's for sure. She finally seems to have pulled her head out, which is the good thing. Perhaps she'll now see the inanity of reliance on wishes and prayer, when a stranger is probing the perimeter.

#12 ·
One of the things I'm wondering, is if she did happen to load it correctly (maybe the slide was locked back, she inserted the mag, hit the release, and chambered one...) is there still a round in the chamber after she dropped the mag? maybe she locked the slide back afterward too and found a little present come out of the chamber. Just a thought.

#14 ·
to be honest, I do not feel this will change her mind, or even lessen the degree of anti she is. She will rationalize that she felt fear for no reason, due to it just being a raccoon, and will probably just ignore the signs the next time. Possibly to her detriment.

Irrational people will remain irrational until they are jerked back into reality, usually by an actual life threatening encounter.

#16 ·
Actually, thats the same thing I was thinking. It just fits her personality. I still offer her a trip to the range, but just like many times before, she'll think that she knows better than me, and as always she gets proven wrong but won't openly admit it. Just like a Democrat. However, I'll look for that book and give it to her and hopefully she'll wake up and at the very least let the husband keep the GLOCK loaded in the house.

BTW, the gun is no longer loaded. My GF talked her through the steps to make sure that the rounded chamber was extracted and to put back that round back in the magazine.

#18 · (Edited)
I would suggest strongly that you have the husband confirm the "unloaded" status of the firearm. If she described "releasing the safety" perhaps the gun was stored in the slide open state to allow quick loading- her "releasing the safety" may have been her releasing the slide release and chambering a round.

If so and since she appears extremely uninformed, she likely would consider removing the magazine to be the same as "unloading" the Glock.

This may not be the case for a variety of reasons but it never hurts to double check before it is too late.

Edit: Oops- didn't see the second page of post where someone had already echoed my concerns. Still a good concern though.

#20 ·
I have tried many times before (without pushing the envelope too much) to get her hubby to come to the range, shoot off some rounds, and talk about basic home safety. But....as much as I don't want to say this......he is wrapped around his wife's finger. Even when I talk to him privately, he still has the need to "get permission" from his wife. I mean, I firmly believe in a 50-50 relationship; where the chores, the decisions, and other relationship issues are divided evenly because it takes "two to tango". This guy is in a 90-10 relationship, and you know what, thats his problem. They have been dating for about a year or two, so he knew this before he got married.

#27 ·
Well, that'll probably never last. She thinks she can change him, and unless he's a complete wuss, sooner or later someone else will come along that's less controlling and a LOT more fun. Been there, done that.....:yup:

#24 ·
When I was a young'un my folks always told me guns were evil. Flash forward twenty years or so and me and my mom took the handgun carry permit course together and we made our first "nacho run" at wallyworld last week.

Mom always told me hunting was bad too, until she married a hunter. A little education goes a long way to clear up ignorance.

#25 ·
Her superficial guns-are-evil attitude is not genuine, even if she is fooling herself too. She has an instinct to defend her life and property, however ignorantly she applied it. A true anti hides under the bed and calls 911 when things go bump in the night.

#26 ·
Im glad things worked out the way they did. Had that been an actual circumstance where deadly force might have been needed, you may well have been attending a funeral.

The best thing to happen would be that she takes something positive out of that experience and decides to take another look at her stance on the matter.

#28 ·
I would bet money that the gun would not have fired if she had pulled the trigger. She probably inserted the magazine, then operated the slide release, thinking she was removing a safety. It did nothing because the slide was probably already forward, so she never chambered a round.

Nevertheless, if she did mangage to chamber a round, it is unlikely that she completely unloaded the gun before storing it back in its box. There's an accicent waiting to happen!

#32 ·
I just talked to my GF about her friend. She told me that the friend finally told her hubby what happened, first thing he did was check the pistol (everything was safe) and asked if she was ok and blah, blah, blah. I still haven't heard word from them about going to the range yet so I figured, eh....that's their problem. Besides, I have another friend who doesn't have any firearms in the house is EAGER to come to the range with me. Wants to shoot different calibers and pistols before she and her husband decide on which one to get for home defense. Now that will not be time wasted in my eye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.