Spin off of cuffs and guns securing your own firearm

This is a discussion on Spin off of cuffs and guns securing your own firearm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Early on in the other thread someone said they used a set of cuffs to secure THERE OWN gun when they could not carry it ...

Thread: Spin off of cuffs and guns securing your own firearm

Question Spin off of cuffs and guns securing your own firearm

Early on in the other thread someone said they used a set of cuffs to secure THERE OWN gun when they could not carry it into a store or the like. As in cuff it to the seat structure in there vehicle or some other 'immovable' object. (this assumes the BG's are not stealing yer whole car)
    I would like to know if cuffs and there chain or links are strong enough that you would trust this method opposed to a regular cable gun lock.
    I use a cable gun lock and have a hole drilled in the seat bracket of my truck to secure my weapon when entering a CPZ. Such as when I pick up my son from daycare. I have no choice but to temporarily disarm.
    Could a BG break a set of cuffs with a tire tool or crowbar to get yer gun clear?
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    It would be a whole lot harder to break a set of cuffs than a cable lock. A cable lock can be snipped with a pair of linesmans pliers or a bolt cutter if the cable is thick. Unless the BG has specific intel on how your secure your gun, the average car burgler isnt going to have a bolt cutter with them. They very well might have a side cutter or linesman pliers.

I suppose they could break the cuffs with a prybar of some sorts, but nothing is completly secure. The goal here is to not make it easy on them. If it will take to long or make to much noise, chances are they will skip it and just take the change in your ashtray.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Cuff keys, real or improvised, are too common among bad guys for me to even think of securing an unattended firearm with standard handcuffs.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Cuff keys, real or improvised, are too common among bad guys for me to even think of securing an unattended firearm with standard handcuffs.
    My thoughts exactly....

Then again I don't know how many bad guys would carry cuff keys, but if I were a BG, I'd have a cuff key...

Administrator

Post In case any of you are wondering what this thread is about.

A picture is worth 999 words. Here is a quick pic for you.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Good point, they are easy to get. However, the level of BG that are breaking into cars rarely carry a key. I've taken them off only a few BG's, and none of them would be wasting their time rummaging through cars.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have used them like that several times with no problem. the only firearm that I found where it will not work well is the Colt 1911 and its clones. The cuff can not go behind the trigger, in between the trigger and the trigger guard. If the idea the some bad guy would have a handcuff key bothers you check with a police supply dealer for a set of high security cuffs. They use a different type of key. They use a large round key similar to a drink box key. They are harder to pick. Also there are new devices to help keep people from picking the cuff locks. Good luck.

Administrator

Well Don't Forget

You can always buy High Security cuffs that do not use a universal cuff key.

One Example:

Hiatt USA Introduces New High Security Handcuffs
    New Handcuffs Perform Best in Maximum Security Operations

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.— Hiatt USA, a leading manufacturer of handcuffs serving the law enforcement and military markets, announces today the addition of three new specialty hinged handcuffs to its product line to assist criminal justice professionals who require the highest level of security, protection and control.

As one of the only rigid handcuffs available on the market, the new non-folding Model 2103 Rigid Handcuff provides a firm, comfortable grip for right- and left-handed public safety officials. It molds to the shape of your hand, offering superior control for unruly suspects in high security situations.

Combining strength and convenience into one handcuff, the new Model UL-1 Ultimate Hinged Handcuff snaps rigid when drawn and folds after use for easy storage, allowing control with easy functionality.

For maximum-security situations, the new Model HSS9 features 25 locking positions and employs a pick-resistant 7-pin tumbler double locking system that overrides the standard handcuff key hole when engaged.

Available in nickel plate finish, all three models retain Hiatt’s unique handcuff features:
    • Three retaining bars of six teeth provide the ability to back-load so the cuff can be snapped back into place without having to release the offender’s hand.
    • True-Swing Technology which ensures the swing arm is balanced and centered so it consistently locks into the center of the shackle, minimizing the risk of injury to both the officer and the suspect.
    • Boss rivets, which are larger on the outside than the inside, make it very difficult to defeat the lock.
    • A leaf spring in the double locking mechanism provides increased safety and efficiency for law enforcement officers.

For more information on this and other quality products from Hiatt, please visit www.hiatts.com.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The "pictured" scenario is exactly what I was thinking. Wrap the thing up with the cuffs to secure. I had not thought about a BG carrying a cuff key though...Thats definitely food for thought.
    I tend to think cable locks are of moderate securtiy but could see it easilt broken with a twisting motion of a 24" prybar...and it could eb done pretty fast too so I was thinking of other alternatives besides a locking box since my truck seems to have very few spots it wold/could fit right.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

There are alternative products you can buy (like Center of Mass car safes, I have one) that are ballpark about the same as a set of cuffs in cost, maybe a little less than $50. The COM safe I have, the "large", is a hardback book sized lockbox that will hold a full size service pistol plus maybe a spare mag or two. It comes with a steel loop cord that you wrap around something substantial like the seat frame under the seat, and then goes into the safe where it wraps around a solid bit of the inside of the safe. You can remove it in a few seconds to take into a hotel room for the night or whatever else.

I like the cuffs idea too and have considered it purely as an economical and simple way to secure a pistol. But, I think I like the COM kind of car safe better. This small safe keeps dirt/lint out of the firearm, and being a small black box it slides under the seat easily and out of sight. When I pull it out to retrieve my piece, it is about as low profile as you can get, just reach under my knees, unlock it, and I'm ready to go and no one standing even right at my door could see anything.

It's not Fort Knox level security, but it ought to be enough to keep it from getting taken in a smash and grab. Seems to me the COM safe and a set of police cuffs would offer about the same level of protection for your unattended firearm.

VIP Member
    As an EX-LEO I still have about 3 pairs of handcuffs... now I finally know what to do with them!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I would use one of the center of mass safes over simple handcuffs. A pair of hadcuffs can be picked by even an idiot in about 4 seconds max and keys can be bought all over the place for a couple bucks. If you want to secure it go a little more than a set of cuffs

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Not to mention damaging the finish on the weapon.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    If its worth anything,I have a modern standard police issue cuff key on my keyset(wich I DONOT plan on using to attempt to break free from doing a crime.),and know for a fact it will work on the cuffs my local LEOs use. I DO own a set of handcuffs,I lost the key and purchased one at a local army surplus store.Once again, no intent on breaking laws or using them to escape.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Links