I Don't Carry At The Buckeye Home Games

This is a discussion on I Don't Carry At The Buckeye Home Games within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mom and I sat together for a final home game against That Team Up North in November of 2001. We were all tense, as 9/11 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Don't Carry At The Buckeye Home Games

I Don't Carry At The Buckeye Home Games

Mom and I sat together for a final home game against That Team Up North in November of 2001. We were all tense, as 9/11 was fresh in our minds. I still remember how easily fans teared up during the National Anthem during that season. We all cried together, felt that pain as a nation. That was the first year I had my permit to carry, and I considered carrying at that game. I didn't, and I'm glad.

Somehow, I feel like it is ok to let my guard down for those games. Perhaps the outstanding showing by the Ohio State Troopers has something to do with it. I simply stopped minding disarming for those events. Though condition orange is always a mouse fart away, I generally find myself pretty comfortable at Ohio State home games without my gun. It is the ONLY time I'm in a large crowd that I feel normal without it. I drive three hours for home games, and I haven't missed one in eleven years. I won't ever carry to one of these games. Maybe it has become holy ground, or maybe I'm playing the sheep. I dunno'. I just don't want my gun with me on those days.

Is there any place in public that you feel comfortable without your gun?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'm comfy most everywhere without my gun... it aint my blanky... I just might be more comfortable with it. The gun is only a small part of my bag o tricks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If i'm ever at the point where I'm uncomfortable.. I leave. My gun is not a 'blanky' as sixto put it.. it isn't going to increase my comfort level, it is simply put, there for protection if I should need it. My best weapon, and some would argue this, is my brain.. it will be me out of far more situations than my gun.. however, it is a last resort.

VIP Member
    I always felt comfortable at Oklahoma home games- until we had a bomb go off just outside the stadium. I am about as far as you can get from the tin foil conspiracy type- but there are still things about the "official" story that make no sense. Since then, I don't feel as comfortable, even with hundreds of police officers on scene and a bag of tricks of my own.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Feel comfortable pretty much any place without my gun. Lived for a long time without CC'ing learning how to be safe and how to carry myself to project that feeling. Learning to pay attention and remove myself from situations where I didn't feel comfortable is an important life lesson for everyone. When I carry now it is because I want to, as stated above, it isn't my blanky.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    "Blanky" I like that sixto. Going armed has never made me feel more safe. Just more prepared.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Was Ohio Stadium actually not posted back in 2001? Today it is clearly stated and posted in flyers/rules and reg's that you may not carry there. Been there 3 times this year already and havn't even considered carrying in there. I feel extremely safe in there regardless.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/Vie...ATCLID=1148376

Prohibited Items
    The following items are not permitted in Ohio Stadium:

Alcohol
    Baby Strollers
    Bags (larger than 14” x 14”)
    Balls
    Banners
    Beverages
    Bottles
    Chair back seats
    Containers
    Weapons
    Drugs
    Fireworks
    Flags
    Food Frisbees
    Ice chests
    Irritants
    Knives
    Noisemakers
    Picnic baskets
    Televisions
    Radios without headsets
    Signs
    Thermoses
    Video recorders
    Cameras with changeable or additional lenses

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I always felt comfortable at Oklahoma home games- until we had a bomb go off just outside the stadium. I am about as far as you can get from the tin foil conspiracy type- but there are still things about the "official" story that make no sense. Since then, I don't feel as comfortable, even with hundreds of police officers on scene and a bag of tricks of my own.
    I agree 100% with ya Echo, that "official" investigation report was a little flaky if you ask me

I don't feel comfortable anywhere without a weapon....I feel "naked" without a pistol on my person, I guess since I've become so used to having it.
    fyi...its Texas state law that forbids us from carrying at a sporting event, but I keep mine in the car when at games
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Ohio law forbids carry on a university campus - except when locking up your gun in your parked car. There's many good people, including "empty holster" student "protestors", working to get that changed.

Quote Originally Posted by murray21 View Post
    Was Ohio Stadium actually not posted back in 2001? Today it is clearly stated and posted in flyers/rules and reg's that you may not carry there. Been there 3 times this year already and havn't even considered carrying in there. I feel extremely safe in there regardless.

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/Vie...ATCLID=1148376

Prohibited Items
    The following items are not permitted in Ohio Stadium:

Alcohol
    Baby Strollers
    Bags (larger than 14 x 14)
    Balls
    Banners
    Beverages
    Bottles
    Chair back seats
    Containers
    Weapons
    Drugs
    Fireworks
    Flags
    Food Frisbees
    Ice chests
    Irritants
    Knives
    Noisemakers
    Picnic baskets
    Televisions
    Radios without headsets
    Signs
    Thermoses
    Video recorders
    Cameras with changeable or additional lenses
    Wow. Sounds like the only thing allowed inside is you and your money.....I'll stick to motor racing where there aren't any turnstiles or body searches.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    That was the first year I had my permit to carry, and I considered carrying at that game. I didn't, and I'm glad. Somehow, I feel like it is ok to let my guard down for those games.
    It is okay. It's just not any safer, doing that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Sorry Van-man, but I really don't get it! Each to his own, I just don't remember reading (any where, any time-except?)

Z

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Sorry Van-man, but I really don't get it! Each to his own, I just don't remember reading (any where, any time-except?)

Z

Huh?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Slight misinterpretation

I'm afraid my question wasn't interpreted fairly. I never said my gun is a security blanket, and to suggest that I'm a nervous wreck without my gun is a little obtuse. I'm a well adjusted, happy guy; to say that NOT carrying my gun somehow negates that is folly. I wasn't asking if there was anywhere you weren't a jumpy stack of nerves without a gun.

There are many times I feel good knowing I have my gun with me, and I think that is a pretty plain, fair thing to say. If that isn't the case for you, why do you carry? I recognize that it is a tool for dealing with a situation. But I also feel safer knowing I've got the road hazard kit in the car to help deal with car issues. I think the comparison is relevant. Is my tire-iron a 'blanky', too?

I'll adjust my question. Is there ever a time you leave the house when you might PREFER to be armed, know you could do so legally, but make a conscious decision to leave it at home? Maybe a football game isn't the best hypothetical setting, because you really CAN'T carry there, anyway. How about the movies, or church?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    It is okay. It's just not any safer, doing that.
    Great point. I guess I'm willing to be less safe for three hours, huh? Baa baa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links