Florida CCW Basics

This is a discussion on Florida CCW Basics within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an AZ CCW permit and i am a resident of AZ. I will be traveling to Florida over the Thanksgiving Holiday. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida CCW Basics

Florida CCW Basics

I have an AZ CCW permit and i am a resident of AZ. I will be traveling to Florida over the Thanksgiving Holiday. I am looking for the basic rules for carry in Florida. Can you carry in restaurants that serve alcohol? Store carry? Where can you not carry? Can you carry in a place that is posted? Just the basics. I plan to spend the holiday mostly with my family but may go out for dinner. I just want to stay safe and out of trouble.
    Next I may in the near future be relocating to Florida and was wondering how long after I move must I get a FL permit?
    Thanks in advance for the info.

Ed
    US Navy Retired Silent Service

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    I'm sure some of our Florida members will reply, but this should get you started:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Moderator
    Here's the list of prohibited places, from F.S. 790.06:

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into
    • any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
    • any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
    • any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse;
    • any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
    • any polling place;
    • any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;
    • any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
    • any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building;
    • any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;
    • any elementary or secondary school facility;
    • any career center;
    • any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
    • inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
    Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    In addition, you cannot carry a firearm on school grounds (elementary or secondary schools), but it can be in your vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by fsufanaz
    ]I have an AZ CCW permit and i am a resident of AZ. I will be traveling to Florida over the Thanksgiving Holiday. I am looking for the basic rules for carry in Florida. Can you carry in restaurants that serve alcohol? Store carry? Where can you not carry? Can you carry in a place that is posted? Just the basics. I plan to spend the holiday mostly with my family but may go out for dinner. I just want to stay safe and out of trouble.
    Next I may in the near future be relocating to Florida and was wondering how long after I move must I get a FL permit?
    Thanks in advance for the info.
    Restaurants that serve alcohol: you can carry in such a restaurant, but you cannot enter the bar area (if there is one). Not even to pass through to the restroom.

Store carry: no worries.

Posted places: the prevailing legal opinion (as offered by Jon Gutmacher in Florida Firearms) is that postings mean nothing in Florida. If you are detected and asked to leave, however, you must do so immediately. I am not a lawyer, and I am simply relaying what others have said. Personally, I carry and do not disarm for a posted business.

Caveats: Federal property is, of course, a different ball game. This includes popular attractions like the Kennedy Space Center.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    It's also NOT required to disclose to a LEO if you're carrying unless asked.
    That's why it's called the Gunshine State.
    If you're driving here look for the brady bunch signs. Don't run off the road laughing.

You can get a Florida CCW now. Florida issues them to non-residents and later if you move here you just change the address on the CCW.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

The FL permit is fairly uncomplicated to get. If you really are considering a move here...I would apply NOW! The GunShine State is a great place to live.

One point...although FL will allow anyone to apply from other states, it only recognizes permit holders with a license from a state where he/she is a resident.
    Florida gun laws are fairly unrestrictive...common sense does prevail here! OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    One point...although FL will allow anyone to apply from other states, it only recognizes permit holders with a license from a state where he/she is a resident.
    I am a Colorado resident with a Florida permit. What I read on the FL website agrees with your statement I quoted, which leads to the logical conclusion that my FL permit is not accepted in FL.

Luckily, I also have a Colorado permit, CO and FL have reciprocity, so I can carry in Florida.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I am a Colorado resident with a Florida permit. What I read on the FL website agrees with your statement I quoted, which leads to the logical conclusion that my FL permit is not accepted in FL.

Luckily, I also have a Colorado permit, CO and FL have reciprocity, so I can carry in Florida.
    No, your FL permit is accepted in FL, even though you live in CO (we have a lot of snowbirds who own property down here but who technically live in another state). What is not accepted by FL is if you live in another state and get a permit with a third state (if I understand the statue right).

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The FL permit is fairly uncomplicated to get. If you really are considering a move here...I would apply NOW! The GunShine State is a great place to live.

Florida gun laws are fairly unrestrictive...common sense does prevail here! OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!
    My understanding is that Florida only recognizes for reciprocity those permits issued to residents of the issuing state. Those who reside in another state but who have a Florida permit can carry in Florida, regardless of whether or not they have a permit in their home state.

For example, a Maryland resident with a Florida CWFL can carry in Florida.

But a Maryland resident with a non-resident Utah permit could not carry in Florida, as Florida only extends reciprocity to Utah permit holders who live in Utah.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Those who reside in another state but who have a Florida permit can carry in Florida, regardless of whether or not they have a permit in their home state.

For example, a Maryland resident with a Florida CWFL can carry in Florida.

But a Maryland resident with a non-resident Utah permit could not carry in Florida, as Florida only extends reciprocity to Utah permit holders who live in Utah.

Matt
    That is my understanding, and if you think about it, it makes perfect economic sense. If you are going to carry on a non-resident permit, Florida wants your money! Hopefully not all states will make their laws read the same way.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Also I believe there are no legal 30-06 sign or similar. Many places might post no carry, but pretty much has no teeth. You'd only get in trouble if you were made, asked to leave, and refused (e.g. armed trespass). Of course, YMMV!

I would go ahead and get the FL permit now. I have AZ, FL and UT. For you, the FL permit would just be a matter of sending in paper work and $ I believe.

Thanks all for your replies. I probably will get a FL permit soon. Who issues permits the state or the local sheriff office. My understanding is you must submit fingerprints do they have to be done by a FL LEO or can I get them done in AZ by my local gun shop and mail them in with the application? I know there is a training requirement for FL permit since I have an AZ permits is that good enough? I also have a DD-214 since I am retired Navy but I have been retired for 13 years is that good enough? Thanks again for all the info.

Ed
    US Navy Retired Silent Service

The real test of a man is not when he plays the role he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him.
    Vaclav Havel

Senior Moderator
    IIRC, the prints must me taken by a law enforcement agency. Your DD-214 will suffice for the permit training requirements.

As Captain Crunch noted, everything you ever wanted to know about Florida's CWFL program can be found here: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Matt

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    It's also NOT required to disclose to a LEO if you're carrying unless asked.
    Very true, but it is always nice to let them know. Thye appreciate the effort and you may just skip that ticket.

I saw on PDTV the greatest answer so far to the question of how to announce you have a CCW: keeping your DL & CCW to gethere and give it to the LEO together.

As for the fingerprints: +1 with all of the above and make sure they are perfect! A bad fingerprint card will be returned and will delay the process.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'm calling the Dept of Ag in the next few days...this topic needs explicit definition...laws don't necessarily follow the 'common sense' or financial threads...we'll see...more later!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links