2 permit classes yesterday....some observations

This is a discussion on 2 permit classes yesterday....some observations within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I helped out with two different permit classes yesterday. Very different as it turned out. The first class ran from 8:30am to 6pm and the ...

I helped out with two different permit classes yesterday. Very different as it turned out.

The first class ran from 8:30am to 6pm and the second was from 11am to 8pm. Each ran a bit long which is pretty much normal. What made these classes different however is that the first class was a normal class made up of mostly men and a couple of women. The second class was our first "ladies only" permit class. The Instructor was a female and all the students were female. Several of them were senior citizens. One in fact was born in 1930. She told me that her granddaughter told her that she was now officially a "Cool Grandma". She seemed quite proud of herself and a bit nervous. In fact, most of the women in the class were nervous but, they all commented that they felt better about talking the class with other women and no men in the class.

A few other things stood out about our ladies only class. First, when it came time to fill out all the paper work for their certificates amd for all the forms that we keep on file per state law, I was able to read all their hand writing with no problems at all. No so much with the other class made up of mostly men. Makes you wonder what it is about us guys that we can't write legibly.

Next, the test scores for the ladies were, on whole, a bit higher than for the other class. The mostly male class had 15 people and the ladies only had 16. The first class had 2 100's and the ladies only class had 4. No one failed the written test in either class but, one failed the shooting portion of the course in each class. That's pretty much normal.

Also, the ladies came in and were honest. What I mean by that is this: with ever class there is someone who comes in and talks big. They know everything there is to know about guns and they have been shooting since they were 1 day old. They are a great shot and they are going to ace the course. Usually, that is the guy, and I say guy on purpose there, that really blows up and scores badly on the written test and shoots horribly. They usually blame the gun for their bad score.
    The ladies came in and all were honest about their level of experience and most said they were nervous. A few said they had never shot a gun before and 3 didn't even own a gun. They shot the course with rentals for the front counter. No problem there. They all passed but the one and she was very close and felt that she knew why she didn't shoot well and said she wants to take the course again. She wasn't mad or making excuses. If was nice to see someone who didn't shoot well take it well and say they wanted to try again.

I hope I get to help out with some more ladies only classes. It was fun and they were a great class.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

No real surprises there, Mike.

Btw, when is the next all ladies class? I think I know a couple ladies that want to be a part of it.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

I'll find out and let you know Citizen. They will have a good time. Kristen the instructor is a hoot.

**Edit** Citizen, it looks like right now the next one scheduled is Saturday, Jan 5th from 11am to 8pm. But, with the number of ladies we had come to this one it is not beyond belief that they may schedule one for December some time. If they do, I will let you know.**Edit**
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I think it's great that your range offers Ladies Only classes! Be careful, your caveman reputation might be in danger.

VIP Member
    Women only classes are good. Women have the right attitude to learn about guns. They ask questions when they don't understand and will do as instructed. That means minimal coaching during the firing portion of the class. I usually conduct the women only classes with my wife. I haven't found enough women instructors to teach a full session with just women instructors, but I'm working on it. Maybe next year.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

When i took my NRA firearm basics class, all the women shot better than the guys including me. One of the older ladies got a 100.

My one biggest regret in life is that I write like a Doctor in a hurry to pass out a prescription!

Senior Moderator
    If I remember correctly the all time high rifle score at Paris Island is held by a woman.

Women listen better than men and genearly learn new skills faster.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Its happened so many times its a clitche (sp?). Some guy takes his wife to the range to teach her how to shoot and in no time at all she is a better shot than he.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO women are far better students than men since they dont have an ego invested in knowing about "manly things" such as guns . Now there are a few " woman specific " issues to deal with as an instructor but normally safe effective gun handling is not one that you need to worry about .
    All men who have women interested in defense or firearms can benefit from reading Pax's site ( www.corneredcat.com ) like a book , and visiting the public section of this forum http://womenandguns.servertalk.in/womenandguns.html The posts in the non members section can be somewhat illuminating on how we as men need to behave , or not behave as the case may be lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I think it is great and wish that my wife would take one of these classes. Unfortunately ranges are not common in our area. It is great that the range offers this.

Links