Exposed weapon!

This is a discussion on Exposed weapon! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most women would try to keep their skirts down about as much as we'd want to keep ourselves incognito, but every once in a while, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exposed weapon!

pfm
    Most women would try to keep their skirts down about as much as we'd want to keep ourselves incognito, but every once in a while, I still see a skirt fly up ;-)

2. Remove Ads

Just like leaving the bathroom with your fly open, it happens once in a while.

I have seen a couple of folks get exposed on windy days and I am quite certain that I have been spotted a time or two. Fortunately I live in one of those states that isn't so hard-nosed about concealment.

Talk about complacency, I was on my way home from work yesterday and decided to stop off at the auto parts store to look for something. It was a comfortable evening, so I hadn't bothered putting my cover shirt on as I left work. As I hoped out of the truck in the parts store parking lot I realized that I was completely exposed so I opened the door, grabbed my shirt and put it on. The way the check out counter is situated and where I parked, everyone at the counter saw me and the gun. Guess what? No one cared. I love my little "hick" town.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I am not sure I should say anything here..aint had me kilt blow'd up yet by the wind..and I will leave it at that..

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Maybe try pocket carry with a different gun?It works for me.With the right holster the draw can be equal to other carry methods.No need to sweep cover garment aside.Just a thought that may help.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I am not sure I should say anything here..aint had me kilt blow'd up yet by the wind..and I will leave it at that..
    That in itself could be more disturbing than just seeing the gun exposed.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member
    It will happen again. I shun shirts as cover garments precisley because of the wind in South Florida. I have the standard photographer's vest that I carry every day , old & raggedy with stuff in the pockets to give it some wheight.

Even if you select a good system, there will be the ocassional brain malfunction. Once I was dragged by the wife to a Men's Store to get a jacket. The store was not very full but there were enough people. The salesman selected a jacket and handed it over for my to try it so I do what normal people do: I took off my vest and exposed my gun like an idiot. DUH!
    The guy did not even blink but I was mortified with my own stupidity. I looked around and nobody had noticed.

It is a never ending quest for a perfect concealment system that never exist. We just adapt to the circumstances.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I was in downtown detroit for the annual country music "hoe down." It was a no weapons event but the little voice in the back of my head said..."life or death" so my gun went with me. My stupid self only wears a tee shirt. It was nice during the day then... the weather turned and got cold and windy. LEO's everywhere. I'm holding down my shirt while walking 3 miles back to my car. I seen 6 cops give me the eye while I passed them. Got to my car and threw my jacket on... perfect!!!!

I was not concerned with the actual event.. more so post event departure. It really gets ugly down there. fighting, drunk stupid people, people getting robbed, beaten... Their were even vagrants throwing empty beer bottles (40's) at passing cars.

If the girlfriend didn't want to go... I wouldn't have gone.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Quote Originally Posted by Manan View Post
    Also, I literally have practiced ripping my shirt open, popping the buttons, for an unanticipated draw situation.
    "Uh-oh. This looks like a job for Super-Manan!"
    Sorry Manan, I'm a comic book geek and just could not resist poking a little fun at that line.
    There’s an old and true, military motto, “Si vis pacem, para bellum” - “If you want peace, prepare for war.”

I've had this happen a few times, wind etc. and I notice if I don't make any kind of extra commotion, either people don't notice or don't care.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Carry Exposure

I carry strong side IWB. Now that the weather's getting a bit cooler I've started wearing sweatshirts as my outer garment. The other day I was at a high school football game with my son (who is a police officer) when my sweatshirt rode up and apparently exposed my G26(probably when I cheered a good play). My son just reached over and pulled the shirt down. No comment and I don't think anyone else noticed.
    "The world is a dangerous place — not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." — Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    if you carry long enough, it's bound to happen. Either the wind will catch your shirt, someone will give you a surprise hug, you'll have to reach for something high and have your shirt ride up, etc. We all try to minimize our exposure of course, but Murphy is not on our side.

Honestly, I think how we handle an accidental exposure is just as important as avoiding it. Calmly pulling your shirt back over the gun and smiling at anyone who saw it can defuse the situation a lot faster than acting like you just flashed a thong at a bus full of nuns.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Yet another reason I love living in Tennessee. Open carry is quite normal here and there is not requirement to conceal.

No one worries about printing or your gun becoming exposed like yours did.

I would say you handled both situations very well. Just act as though it is no big deal and you did nothing wrong. Which of course, is exacly the case.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by arniejen View Post
    I carry strong side IWB. Now that the weather's getting a bit cooler I've started wearing sweatshirts as my outer garment. The other day I was at a high school football game with my son (who is a police officer) when my sweatshirt rode up and apparently exposed my G26(probably when I cheered a good play). My son just reached over and pulled the shirt down. No comment and I don't think anyone else noticed.
    Thats a good son... Always looking out for his father.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Yeah, it's gonna happen. Even though, ahem, I am at that certain age where my chest would have fallen to the ground if it hadn't been caught by my belt, so I hike up and check everthing when getting out of my pickup. Helps me know at least I left the pickup concealed.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

I carry 3 oclock. So when exiting my vehicle, I put my strong side facing the front where the door and window (5% tint) are to cover the weapon and adjust everything. Like said in someone elses previous post... Just come off as a neat freak...lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links