Need Opinions Please - 7yo w/ADHD firearms training - Page 3

Need Opinions Please - 7yo w/ADHD firearms training

This is a discussion on Need Opinions Please - 7yo w/ADHD firearms training within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are a lot of possible reasons for the types of behaviors contributed to ADD/ADHD. Unfortunately it is often the catch all diagnosis. It is ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Opinions Please - 7yo w/ADHD firearms training

There are a lot of possible reasons for the types of behaviors contributed to ADD/ADHD. Unfortunately it is often the catch all diagnosis. It is a real condition that once no doubt served as an assett to survival in frontier and prefrontier days, but which lends to difficulties in a more rigid, time oriented, world....

Take your daughter shooting. ADD/ADHD kids tend to be brighter than the general population as a whole. Teach her and supervise her according to her age and impulsivity level.

Quote Originally Posted by mmwb View Post
    ADD/ADHD kids tend to be brighter than the general population as a whole.
    +1. ADDers can also be very creative.

I had ADHD as a child, and stopped medicating for it at 11 yo. I wanted to be myself, not a medicated person.

It took me a few years, but with help I learned to control it. I do fidget alot. I do get bored really easily.. but I can multitask like you would not believe.

I got stuck in an office at work, doing what 3 people had done in the past.. It was not so much fun.. but it kept me busy and occupied. I drove the girls across the window from me insane though cause if I had a free minute I would fidget.

I too agree with comments made. The debate on how much is learned behavior and how much in neurological is a hot one. My 11yr old was diagnosed with ADHD almost 3yrs ago. He's on medication, and parental "behavior modification" to quote his doctor and is a very active and healthy boy who's a straight A student and is very active in group sporting activities. (parental bragging rights).

With both myself and my wife new members of our local range, and his growing up around relatives who hunt/shoot, we took advantage of the "youth shooting group" offered from local instuctors thru our club. We felt that if this was something he wanted to try, we were going to make a comittment to involve him as much as possible and teach him everything we could about shooting and the responsibilities that go with it.

To date it was worked out great. - his instructors are the best!!!- He's having fun with the family and he's learning to enhance his skills of patience and focus. And a side note - I'm also seeing a new appreciation in him for the responsibilities that go with shooting. He's been beat over the head with sensationalism about how guns are used thru movies and VIDEO GAMES. His awe-struck conversations and coolness factor have turned into serious questions and I find him now criticizing those he used to idolize.

I don't think you can go wrong with your decision to teach your daughter, just remember patience is the key along with good instructors! - have fun!
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

my thoughts

As an ADD kid (before ADHD was a label) I was off the meds for the summer. When I was interested insomething I was doing (cutting trees to make a 'log cabin'), I could do it for hours. Dad took me sailing, with the same result. So I was engaged in an activity, or someone was teaching me to my learning modality and ability, and interest, whilst off meds. If I was less interested, I could be just as focused, just not for as long. Happy shooting!
    H@H

There is a range close here that is family oriented. They will give my daughter a junior member patch and basically make her feel welcome. Now all I have to do save a little for the membership fee. But, I have decided to take her shooting, and I like the idea of a .22 rifle. What do you think about a little .22 target pistol?

i, like your daughter have adhd and am on medication for it.

im a senior in a hard major at a big university and im doing fine

i also carry every day and spend tons of time shooting

im 22 not 7 though

but dont let your ideas about her deficiency hold her back

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links