My first encounter

My first encounter

This is a discussion on My first encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After encountering a timberwolf in the mountain last year during archery season was another reason that I applied for a ccl last year. Well, 2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first encounter

My first encounter

After encountering a timberwolf in the mountain last year during archery season was another reason that I applied for a ccl last year. Well, 2 weekends ago I was upstate Pa hunting and a buddy got stopped for not wearing a blaze hat and was stopped from going back into the woods and when he called me on the radio to let me know, he also asked me over the radio if I had my "Buddy" with me? Not realizing that ccl's were allowed anytime. To make a long story short, the game warden had a radio on the same freq in the truck with him and circled back and questioned me when I came out of the woods. It just felt strange. The game warden was very polite about it and when he called it in, they confirmed that I was totally legal. He apologized for the the inconvienence although I still thanked him for doing his job. Ultimately I guess, you probably shouldn't even let your best buddies that you are armed to avoid this type of situation? What do you all think?

JD
    Administrator
    If you must tell someone that you're carrying, tell them to keep their darn mouth shut about it.

I did do that for future purpose. He did learn his lesson on that one.

What a good subject to bring up but here in NC you can't carry while bow hunting. My friend and I like to coon hunt too, but during the summer while the season is closed, it's legal to train dogs but you're not allowed to have any firearms. I understand the law and I don't carry during the training season, but I certainly don't agree with it. How many people do you know that would try to knock a coon out with a Glock? I think that permit holders should be able to carry anytime they are outdoors; that goes for state parks too!
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Assistant Administrator
    Fortunately it was not all that long ago that CC was made OK when hunting in PA - prior to that always seemed crazy to me to preclude a legal permit holder from having the regular carry piece.

Re the radio aspect - decidely non-private!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    The only people who know that I am carrying are my wife, and myself. My 23 y/o kid suspected the other day when he noticed that I was wearing a vest when not really called for, but I didn't confirm his suspicions.

After so many years, it's hard for family and friends NOT to know, even though it is not really discussed...many of them have their own guns...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Concealed permit

I do not let anyone know I have one or that I carry; except the people I live with in the house. It is suppose to be a hidden gun. That gives you the eliment of surprize. When some one wants to get even with you It could be done very easy by saying you where brandishing.

VIP Member
    Of course I would expect common sense to prevail so my signature is not meant to be an absolute! But none the less, that's why I do promote... Always Carry ~ Never Tell! I learned it the way I usually do, the hard way.

Always carry where legal and tell as few people as absolutely necessary.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

In our household, it is known as a "Number 51" which means,
    It's none of your business! I am discrete when I carry...very discrete!

State laws

Crazy legal CP patchwork, I can carry in the woods while bird hunting and carry my handgun while driving during deer season but the long gun needs to be in a case. We can hunt deer with a handgun. Also allowed to carry in State Parks anytime. Maybe Schumer or Hillary will fix the law, No guns allowed for anybody except politicians.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

If you were archery, you were OK. 2007 is the first year that I have seen the regulations book state it was OK for CCW (not those exact terms) while archery hunting in PA. Last year it was not so.

That has always been a sore spot for me archer hunting. There have been sightings of cougars in the PA woods and just recently a sighting of something that could be either a bigfoot or a bear with mange. It is nice knowing that I have my firearm on me when I am hiking in the deer woods or sitting in a tree with my archery setup.

My buddy's brother is a game wardend (CWO) here in PA. They always listen in on the frequencies of the personal radios.

I have no interest in trying to hunt with a pistol and don't want to take the sport out of hunting by poaching. I just like having the backup after seeing what I have seen in the mountain. IMO, ccl's should be permitted to carry anywhere.

Sounds like the officer was just doing what he was suppose to do and was polite and professional about it which is good. It's OK to carry while hunting in MN with a permit which is nice. A lot of people know I carry as I am an instructor. It goes with the territory, not much I can do about that but I have never felt it was a problem. I have never had anyone yell out across a room, "hey Joe, got your gun", or anything remotely like that so far so I don't think it is much of an issue.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Indiana has recently changed it's stance on carrying a concealed handgun in the field.

In the field, you can carry for self protection anytime, if you have a Carry License, and you can carry during hunting season with a Hunting and Target License.

But you can only use the gun for taking game during the correct hunting season. For example, you can carry a handgun during bow season, but you can't take a deer with it. Sort of convoluted isn't it?

But, I never let anyone know that I carry. I just don't think it's any of their business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links