Question about paper PA CCW permit

This is a discussion on Question about paper PA CCW permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a non-resident PA permit. Didin't need it since I have a FL resident, just doing my part for Centre County and as ...

Thread: Question about paper PA CCW permit

Question about paper PA CCW permit

I just got a non-resident PA permit. Didin't need it since I have a FL resident, just doing my part for Centre County and as JIC for my upcoming trip to Pittsburgh over Christmas. I got it no problem, but....

What an odd size permit, and just on plain paper. I looked, but couldn't find anything. Is it OK to laminate this or shrink it to wallet size? There's no photo on it.

2. Remove Ads

Last time I checked -

I added the photo, scanned the permit, reduced it to ID size printed and laminated the whole thing. Last time I called, the nice lady that answered the phone said a legible copy was fine.

If there ever is a question, the LEO will call it in anyway to verify its still valid regardless of the condition of the paper.

Made reasonable sense to me.

Administrator
    Yep, you can laminate it and then just fold it once.

§ 33.115. Pennsylvania license to carry firearms.
    (c) The form is designed to be folded in half and may be laminated.
    At the option of the entity furnishing the form, the paper weight of each part may be a minimum of 14 pounds up to a maximum of 28 pounds, and impressions may be produced by utilizing either carbon inserts or no carbon required (NCR) paper.
    Forms shall be numbered in numerical sequence and the size of the license numbers shall be at least 3/16 of an inch. The first two numbers shall be the county location code followed by the license number—for example, if the license was issued by Dauphin County, the license number would be 22-0000001, and so on.

Don't cold laminate it at home though.
    Have it Hot Laminated.
    Lots of places do it. Mailboxes does Hot Laminating.
    Trust me it's worth it.

No in PA you must have your valid and lawfully issued License To Carry on your person at all times when you are carrying...and not a reduced copy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I laminated mine at staples. Be sure to ask them to use a laminate thin enough so you can fold it easily. A lot of places will use 5mil which is a bit thick, try for 3mil. Mine came out great.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

I carry my permits in a card case so I reduced it to fit. I took the orginial and laminated it and folded it just in case I needed it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Administrator

Reducing the size in PA.

Forms shall be numbered in numerical sequence and the size of the license numbers shall be at least 3/16 of an inch.

I know that years ago I called the PA State Police to ask about carrying a "size reduced copy" of the large PA paper LTC and was told "No" ~ That was back before we got issued nifty plastic drivers license type LTCs here in Allegheny County.

That was years ago but, as far as I know - I would not risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Forms shall be numbered in numerical sequence and the size of the license numbers shall be at least 3/16 of an inch.

I know that years ago I called the PA State Police to ask about carrying a "size reduced copy" of the large PA paper LTC and was told "No" ~ That was back before we got issued nifty plastic drivers license type LTCs here in Allegheny County.

That was years ago but, as far as I know - I would not risk it.

Gee, QK, my county sheriff actually simultaneously gives out two permits, both with raised seal, one large and one reduced copy of the large permit to the size of a credit card. He instructs the CCW permitee to keep the large one in a safe place and to carry the small one. I'd beg to differ with the PSP on the opinion you were given.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

California's, you know the endangered species version, are paper, at least in Madera COunty and cannot be laminated or copied. Kind of silly but at least you can get one here.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    You should be good to go then.
    I would just suggest that a member call and get up to date info before they bet the bank on an ordinary reduced Xerox.
    My best guess is that your reduced License To Carry with the raised seal is obviously considered to be legal and valid when an ordinary reduced and unauthorized Xerox copy may not be. It's an interesting question.
    If I have time this week I may be able to make a few phone calls and get some more exact and specific information.
    I'm glad that you posted that. It's helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post

Gee, QK, my county sheriff actually simultaneously gives out two permits, both with raised seal, one large and one reduced copy of the large permit to the size of a credit card. He instructs the CCW permitee to keep the large one in a safe place and to carry the small one. I'd beg to differ with the PSP on the opinion you were given.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That was back before we got issued nifty plastic drivers license type LTCs here in Allegheny County.
    These Sure are Nice
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Huh - I just got my LTCF in Cumberland County in May and it's credit card sized and laminated.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Administrator
    His larger paper one is a Non-Resident License To Carry.

Links