Have gun, will travel!

This is a discussion on Have gun, will travel! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a concealed weapon license holder here in Oklahoma. Within the next 9 months I will be traveling out of state twice, both to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have gun, will travel!

Have gun, will travel!

I am a concealed weapon license holder here in Oklahoma.

Within the next 9 months I will be traveling out of state twice, both to attend weddings. I will be flying both times. One trip is to Michigan and the other one is to Oregon. Michigan acknowledges and accepts my Oklahoma concealed weapon license while Oregon does not.

Here is my question. In your own personal opinions what would you do in these 2 situations?

Michigan trip: deal with the hassle of flying with a firearm and carry concealed while in Michigan (completely legal), or just leave the weapon at home and go unarmed.

Oregon trip: deal with the hassle of flying with a firearm and open carry while in Oregon (completely legal, but likely to freak out extended family), or just leave the weapon at home and go unarmed.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Kinda depends----how well do you like your extended family.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Kinda depends----how well do you like your extended family.

Z
    LOL
    They are pretty cool. They are mostly artsy, hippy, liberal types.

Yet despite this I like them and we get along just fine.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Where will you be in Michigan? Some places I didn't mind going unarmed before I started carrying. Others I don't enjoy going even now that I can carry.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Quote Originally Posted by starshooter231 View Post
    Where will you be in Michigan? Some places I didn't mind going unarmed before I started carrying. Others I don't enjoy going even now that I can carry.
    My folks live in Livonia. I will also spend a decent amount of time in Detroit.
    Join the NRA!

Deal with the hassle. Better safe than sorry.JMO
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

I flew into and out of MI in Sept. and had NO problems with the airlines, TSA, etc.

Just be careful to check out the rules and regs of the airline as well as TSA.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I applaud you doing your homework for the states you will be visiting.

I say take it with you and decide when and where you carry it. Better to leave your options open then to wish you had brought for that one night you and your wife decided to some sight seeing or something.

Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to carry it.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Ummm... even though Oregon is an open carry state in some areas, I would not recommend it unless you are out in the rural areas.

You might look into a non-resident permit from the county you will be visiting. Basically, the whole deal with Oregon not honoring any other states permits is that they will not honor the permits of any state that is not equal to or greater than Oregon's requirements (which is kind of a joke, since Oregon's requirements are absolutely nothing special). I think, and don't quote me on this, depending on the Sherrif you might possibly qualify for a non resident permit.

Contact these guys. http://jimjacobe.com/ They are very knowledgable and will probably be able to help you with any questions you have and also any solutions to your desire to be armed. Jim Jacobe makes a point to make personal contact with every single Sherrif in the state as they take office. He is an avid 2nd amendment advocate.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Ummm... even though Oregon is an open carry state in some areas, I would not recommend it unless you are out in the rural areas.
    Thanks!
    Join the NRA!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Basically, in some areas of the state, it is a guaranteed misunderstanding with the police. Oregon is a fairly liberal state, especially in the heavily populated areas. I believe, from Salem up to Portland, it is illegal and will definately land you in jail.

Out in the rural, low populated areas no one would think anything of it, except that it might land you an invitation out the door by any businesses that you enter. Conceal carry is a lot less frowned on, and the way Oregon law is written, you have the right to carry almost anywhere with a CCW license. Oregon is probably one of the least restricted states, which is surprising.

I also forgot, KevinInstructor, is one of the instructers for the Jacobe Group. You could try pm'ing him with all of your questions and he can give you the answers. He doesn't seem to hop on here a lot though, so you might have better luck calling the Jacobe Group directly.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Getting the gun on a plane checked isn't the problem.. just be careful how you declare that you have a weapon..

Quote Originally Posted by monky View Post
    Getting the gun on a plane checked isn't the problem.. just be careful how you declare that you have a weapon..
    I was thinking of doing it while wearing my Michigan Militia t-shirt and not shaving for a week, all while pretending to look for a my lost Prozack. LOL Just kidding.

I have flown with weapons in the past, always with out a hitch. It does take a little more time and effort. The hassle comes in while trying to achieve this with a begrudged wife and an 18 month old baby.

SonofASniper,
    Thanks for the great info. You really went out of your way to help me. Thank You!
    Join the NRA!

Open carry at a wedding? You might not get to meet many new people......but if you want to dance with the new bride, I'm sure no one will object...

In Detroit? I would definitely bring the sidearm...not a nice place! (Spent first 25 years there...it's only become worse!)

Good luck with your travels...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Don't carry in Oregon without a permit. Open carry will land you in jail, even in most rural areas. Unfortuntely you pretty much cannot get a permit unless you are a resident or resident of of a neighboring state with business in Oregon and Oregon doesn't recognize permits from any other states. Good luck in your travels.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links