What do you check before and after? (I now do magazine seat check)

This is a discussion on What do you check before and after? (I now do magazine seat check) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well to make a long story short at the end of the day I got how, did my press check(I do this whenever picking up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you check before and after? (I now do magazine seat check)

What do you check before and after? (I now do magazine seat check)

Well to make a long story short at the end of the day I got how, did my press check(I do this whenever picking up a gun now) but I noticed that my magazine was slightly lower in my 1911. Upon further investigation the magazine had some how become unseated. Not certain how this happpened or when it happened but I will now be doing a press and magazine seat check.

Anything else I am missing for checks?

2. Remove Ads

Always Check my Mag and the press check that is about it for daily

OMG !! Don't get me started on equipment checks. I did a LOT of world travel in the 60's - 70's, and one thing I learned, if you don't have it with you...it's GONE. So I started then an equipment check of everything...wallet, passport, keys, etc., and unfortunatly it has become so ingraned that I check everything, cell, holster, mags, keys, knife, etc., ALL the time. Every time I get in/out of the car, restaurant, house,...well, you get the idea. I have tried and tried to stop this, but the only time I think of it, (it is SO ingrained), is while or AFTER I do it. I am a little worried that it is a tell for anyone watching, but so far no one pays any attention. It is a very quick, arm, hand, elbow touch check, so maybe nobody HAS noticed, or just accepts it for what it is...an equipment check. So many people are carrying blackberrys, phones, laptops, and the like, maybe my OCD isn't as noticble as I think ??

Nope. Don't press check, don't mag check. If I am not cleaning it my gun is loaded. No need to check it.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    eject mag and check capacity, slam home, press-check, confirm safety is engaged, and holster. I do this every time I pick up my pistol. When taking it off, I know its condition because it has not left my position since I put it on, so I generally will not check it unless I am handing it to someone else, in which case, I clear it and lock the slide back. It would probably be a good idea for me to start tapping the mag when I disarm at night.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I always check the chamber and then confirm safety is on before I holster up. Checking the chamber each time I grab the gun is a good idea (in my mind) so that I am always in the habit of verifying I am handling a loaded weapon. Even if I know its loaded. This way I don't get into a bad habit of picking up a gun (mine or any) and just assume its condition.

Administrator
    Always a press and mag check before heading out the door.
    "Just blame Sixto"

everytime i get in or out of vehcle i do a safty check press check and depending on what im carrying at the moment an optics check. thats about it unless im clearing my weapon or cleaning it.(never perform a function check unless the weapon is cleared.)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Always a press and mag check before heading out the door.
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    At the end of the day, when I get home, I take off my gun by removing the entire holster from my belt. I put the holstered gun within arms distance (which is usually my night stand) and then I go to bed.

In the morning, I get up, get dressed, put on the holster. Unholster the gun, check the chamber, count the rounds in my magazine, reinsert mag, press check, holster, press check again, insure that my clothing hasn't gotten caught up in my holster, check my spare mag, put that on, reach back to my gun, knife, spare mag and cell phone, make sure everything's in the right spots, put chapstick and spare knives into my pockets and I'm out the door.

The reason I check again and again is because my husband and I both carry 1911 .45s. Not that either of us would generally mess with the other's carry weapon and not tell each other, but it has been known to happen where he will want to look at something on my gun while I'm out of the room and forget to tell me. Conversely, I might look at something with his magazine, eject it and forget to put it back in, or something of the sort. Or he might look at my gun and reload it but forget to top-off (or vis versa), so I'll be one round short of a full-stack, counting my ammo insures I'm not surprised by a lower round count than I expected should I need it.

Or, for instance, while he was between his PA and VA permits he wasn't carrying his Baer, I unholstered and unloaded his 1911 so I could take his magazines to the range with me. When I came back, without even thinking, I inserted an empty magazine into his gun. When he later went to put it on, he did a check and was surprised to see his gun was empty. I had forgotten to tell him I unloaded it. It wasn't a big deal. I probably would have remembered when I saw him come out of the bedroom with it on his hip, but in a home where both the husband and the wife carry a similar gun, it's possible that things like that can happen.

We check our guns every time we put them on. It's a good habit to get into.

VIP Member
    any time my gun has left my field of vision, it gets mag & press checked.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    I always check the mag and a press check (or open the cylinder for my revolvers) each day before it goes on, and at night before I go to bed.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    This is a little off topic, but what is the proper procedure to do a press-check?

VIP Member
    I dont think is off topic at all.
    Now this is an ugly and less than masterful video I just made (I do need a tripod)
    1) Gun is aimed at a safe area
    2) Bring your free hand UNDER the gun. Never sweep yourself.
    3) Grip the front of the slide carefully but firmly and pull it enough to expose the round in chamber but without removing the round from it.
    4) With the slide pulled back ever so slightly, visually inspect that you have a round. Then insert your index finger and do a tactile check.
    5) release slide & make sure the gun is in battery

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=59046dcd.pbr
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Maybe I'm a bit of a wuss, but I have trouble pulling back the slide when I grip the gun from the underside. Is there any disadvantage to gripping from the top of the slide?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links