Should I carry on the left or the right?

This is a discussion on Should I carry on the left or the right? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be getting my permit soon and I wanted to hear some opinions regarding carrying on the left or the right. I know most people ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I carry on the left or the right?

I'll be getting my permit soon and I wanted to hear some opinions regarding carrying on the left or the right. I know most people have a "strong side" and that is the way they go, but since I'm rather ambidextrous, I'd like to know if any of you have strong feelings either for or against either side, given a choice. Basically, are there any advantages or disadvantages to choosing right over left or vice versa? Here are my considerations:

1. I do most things right handed, so I guess that could be considered my strong side.
    2. I am left-eye dominant and find it easier & quicker to come up "on target" left handed.
    3. I am just as accurate either right or left handed, assuming a 2-handed grip & carefully aimed shots. (I don't really have any experience shooting either righty or lefty in any type of quick-fire or stressed situation. I intend to take classes to remedy that...)
    4. Since I haven't carried before, I have no experience with either. This means I can pick either side without having to break any habits or having any unused, expensive equipment left lying around for whichever side I choose against.
    5. Again, since I haven't carried before, I will need to train regularly to become comfortable & confident with either side.

One other related issue to ask about here as well. I plan on carrying a small 1911 as my primary carry weapon (probably IWB or tucked), with a pocket-carry BUG (in a holster). For those of you who carry a BUG, do you carry it on the same side as your primary weapon, or opposite? Why you do so would be interesting to hear as well...

My assumption is that there is a wider range of equipment available for right handers, but do lefties have a problem finding good equipment? Thanks in advance for any & all opinions / insights on this issue!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Since you are Left eye dominate I would suggest you carry left handed.
    My son is a Lefty. He shoots a Kimber Pro CDP. Ambi safety. Any ambi safety 1911 will serve you well. He has had no difficulty finding an ample supply of quality gear new. When I was helping him get set up we did have a little trouble saving money by looking for used holsters & mag carriers.
    Now that he is set up the "wait" for what he wants is not a problem.
    He is armed.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

I would use whatever hand you instincably use. have someone throw a ball or something and take notice of which hand you use to block or grab with. In a life/death situation, I would not want think about where my hand is going but rather have it come out of natural process. training is key in either selection.

Quote Originally Posted by rwojcik View Post
    I would use whatever hand you instincably use. have someone throw a ball or something and take notice of which hand you use to block or grab with. In a life/death situation, I would not want think about where my hand is going but rather have it come out of natural process. training is key in either selection.
    I throw right handed, which means I catch with my left hand. I bat left handed playing baseball, but golf right handed. That doesn't get me any closer to telling me what my "instinct" is, but it may help to explain why I felt I needed to ask the question in the first place...

Longtooth - Why do you think my left eye dominance should lead to me shooting left handed? Is there any particular reason? Just curious...

Thanks!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    One possible advantage to left-side carry is that it's easier to draw from 9:00 while strapped into a driver-side seatbelt. At 3:00, the lap belt, shoulder belt, and buckle are right on top of the holstered pistol.

My situation is similar to yours. Left-hand rifle shooting, use of steak knife. Right-hand for baseball, other uses of knife. I switched from bowling right to bowling left. Pistol shooting either way, but leaning to the left, so that's how I carry.

[joke] The origin of shaking right hands in greeting is for mutually suspicious males to demonstrate they are both not holding weapons. The Latin word "sinister" means "left", and acquired negative connotations because the left-handed man can shake hands to immobilize the weapon-hand of the enemy and simultaneously stab him with a knife held in the left hand. [/joke] Actually, of course, barbarian warriors would likely be equally proficient with either hand.

VIP Member
    Go with the side of your dominant eye. That's what I did. Getting lefty carry stuff is a bit of a pain, but is possible. If you can get a gun with lefty controls or total ambi controls so much the better.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Lead Moderator
    Heck try both for shooting purposes. Go with what works best. I am somewhat ambi, but find I am more LH dominant at gun handling. The eye dominance may factor in too. If you are shooting around barriers, ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I throw right handed, which means I catch with my left hand. I bat left handed playing baseball, but golf right handed. That doesn't get me any closer to telling me what my "instinct" is, but it may help to explain why I felt I needed to ask the question in the first place...

Longtooth - Why do you think my left eye dominance should lead to me shooting left handed? Is there any particular reason? Just curious...

Thanks!
    I'm similar to you except right eye dominant. I write with the right, left handed in hockey, right handed in golf and baseball and shoot right handed.

Biggest factor for me is eye dominance. The sights line up easier and quicker with right handed. Canting your head to get the left eye on the sights will make it harder IMHO to shoot well.

I am glad you will carry a primary and secondary/bug. Carry the primary on the dominant side and bug on the weak side. Reason is in case your primary hand is disabled then the weak side has easy access to a gun.

IMHO, I am more likely to use a bug than a primary due to the fact you can get your hand on the gun without anyone knowing while walking to the car, bus or in the house for the mugger/surprise actacker. Much harder to have your hand on the primary while you walk down the street. Practice with both hands because you have a very useful skill.

My wife is left handed, right eyed and shoots with her right hand. Hope this helps.

Good question by the way!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I'll be getting my permit soon and I wanted to hear some opinions regarding carrying on the left or the right. I know most people have a "strong side" and that is the way they go, but since I'm rather ambidextrous,

2. I am left-eye dominant and find it easier & quicker to come up "on target" left handed.
    I'm also ambidextrous but I am right-eye dominant and can get the sights on the target faster right handed so I carry right handed.

I believe your #2 answers your question.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

I am right handed but left eye dominant, so I carry right side and have learned how to hold my gun and head in order to quickly acquire sights. With the amount of practice I've had I don't have any problems. I can shoot left handed, but my left hand is still slightly weaker than my right. I've been doing more exercises with it to bring the strength up but its just not there yet. Its funny because I shoot pistol right hand and all long guns are shot from my left hand. People look at me funny, like "you're holding the gun in the wrong hand". Anyways, I know you've heard this a million times, but practice with both to see what is comfortable for you and go for it. As far as drawing in the car, you won't have to contend with the seatbelt as much being lefty, but your draw angle might not work that well.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    This is the type of question that no one can answer for you. Try both sides and pick which YOU are most comfortable with.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Carry both sides, at the same time. You have a natural gift by being able to use both hands and you should develop them equally before you ruin one side by choosing the other.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

like everyone your going to experiment with different positions and holsters till you find what your comfortable with.
    for me its IWB cross draw at the 10 o'clock position. as this provides the best comfort in almost all situations.. sitting in a car, bending over, ease of draw, and almost no printing. even with just a t-shirt on.
    Colt Officers ACP
    Smith & Wesson 649-5
    Smith & Wesson 637-2

These are my carry guns with the holsters I use most, they are not expensive by any means. and through trial and error I found what works for me.

Colt Officers ACP
    Smith & Wesson 649-5
    Smith & Wesson 637-2

AMH
    Try this:
    First unload your weapon. Then double check to make sure it is unloaded. Lay your weapon down on a table in front of you. Have someone stand behind you so you can’t see them. At a random time unknown to you have the person yell “GO”. When you hear the command quickly grab your weapon and draw down on a wall in front of you (make sure the weapon will be pointed in a SAFE direction).

What hand did you deploy the weapon with?

Consider having that side be your strong side since natural instinct wants you to draw with that hand.

Just a thought.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links